Snakes

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not on the trail but in the garage! Had a call from my wife yesterday while I was at work. She saw a snake a bit over a metre long go through the garage into the store room behind the cars. On one side this is where all the camping gear is stored and on the other where my tools are. Plenty of shelves and plenty of hiding spaces. So I said just close up the house and garage and I would deal with it when I got home.

Couldn't see anything and based on the description we were pretty confident it was a tree snake though my wife only had a fleeting glimpse. So I decided to use the tried and true smoke him out strategy. Set fire to some sticks and wet leaves and grass in a metal bin and placed this in the workshop side. Lots of heavy smoke all through the lock up and store and garage. But no snake. Ah seems that we were harbouring a stoner!

Early this morning I opened the garage door noting the lingering smokey flavour that now is a feature of our camping gear and my tools!

An hour or so later and I spot this little fella sunning himself next to the carport having made his escape. Not concerned at all about me or the family. He was a lot longer than I thought, all up just under 1.2m.

As I was about to start work on the wife's 4wd I decided it was time for him to climb a tree and helped him into the nearest ironbark. Shot up that tree in a great hurry and disappeared from sight.

Pretty little chap really. Mind you if had turned out to be a little brown he would have been relocated a bit further away...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
almost ran over a small Brown again, this time on Redgum Trail at Lysterfield. Dumped the bike really close to him and did a small runner.

Andrei

Likes Dirt
Saw a dead death adder at the carpark at the bottom of the Oaks single track. Never seen one before.

stirk

Burner
Saw a dead death adder at the carpark at the bottom of the Oaks single track. Never seen one before.
Was it alive? They are normally very stealthy, I've only seen one before on springwood ridge but it was run over by NPWS truck.

SNOT

Squid
Does this look like a bite

Went for a ride at Kincumber on saturday and thought this was a scratch from a stick or something on my shin. I did`t really look at it until sunday night when it was a little bruised and sore around the wound, no other symptoms(I think).
I am not too worried, maybe i should wear shin guards. Just wondering if there is any snake people on here and their thought on the wound pattern.

Attachments

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I am not too worried, maybe i should wear shin guards. Just wondering if there is any snake people on here and their thought on the wound pattern

Keep an eye on it and if you are worried go get it checked out, especially if you start getting muscle pain or anything like that.
You are not dead yet which is a good sign but some snake venom can have a surprisingly delay reaction time
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-02/perth-woman-suffers-delayed-tiger-snake-bite-reaction/6906454

Snakes have lots of teeth not just 2 big fangs and in most Aussie snakes those fangs are fairly small. Other may have more experience but I'd expect more of a round bite wound not just 2 puncher wounds. But I could be wrong

Last edited:

SNOT

Squid
Still alive. Thanks for the article, good to know. The photo of her bite is pretty similar.
Have had no problems but as I read through the article my foot goes tingly, haha power of suggestion.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Almost stepped on a freaking huge red bellied black snake yesterday at Lysterfield while I was off the bike trying to catch a dog loose in the park. This black was huge, at his fattest he was as thick as my wrist. By the time I thumbed to get the camera out of the pack he'd slithered off.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thumbed? What are you, Steve Irwin? I waded through waist deep grass yesterday looking for a comfy spot to shit. Was just settling in when...rustle rustle boing! Gave the poop some help! Was some small marsupial I had disturbed.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Thumbed? What are you, Steve Irwin? I waded through waist deep grass yesterday looking for a comfy spot to shit. Was just settling in when...rustle rustle boing! Gave the poop some help! Was some small marsupial I had disturbed.
when you get a snake bite on the ass you can link up fuckwits, snake and injury threads in one go.

moorey

call me Mia
First full grown fella I've seen on our bush block in our 12 years here. Not sure what he is yet, but was neither shy not aggressive.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yup, definitely a Brown for Slippy. Hard to tell Arse Clown's 'cos it's not really out in the open, but doesn't look Tigerish, but probable Copperhead.

murf58

Likes Bikes
Just googled copperhead images and there is one pic that is almost identical to arseclowns snake. So it' is very likely a copperhead.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
First full grown fella I've seen on our bush block in our 12 years here. Not sure what he is yet, but was neither shy not aggressive.
Yep, had expert confirmation that she's a copperhead. Placid little buggers, sooo cute too :hug: