Snakes

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I love snakes, kind of, respect may be a better word. The Browns I've encountered have gone nuts to get away from me, the red belly black and tigers stop to suss you out before carrying on. I'm not sure which I should be afraid of more!
Opposite with me. Brown ones I've seen have moved away from my personal space far too nonchalantly for my liking. Black ones are more enthusiastic.

Saw a black one last year flick itself up onto the grass (rather than slithering through it) and kind of danced across the top of it to move faster. Don't really understand how it worked but it looked cool.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I love snakes, kind of, respect may be a better word. The Browns I've encountered have gone nuts to get away from me, the red belly black and tigers stop to suss you out before carrying on. I'm not sure which I should be afraid of more!
Browns are the ones to be wary of; they can just as likely go nuts at you. Tigers are generally pretty docile, but will go you if they feel there is no alternative. They have shit vision, so I've been told by a snake expert, so you're probably gone before they can get a fix on you to have a go. Blacks are one of the least worrisome snakes to encounter; they're pretty chilled so unlikely to have a go, and if the worst does happen and they have a chomp,their venom is not severely toxic to humans. You can still get pretty crook, and treatment is strongly advised, but you're not going to drop dead.

I did read somewhere (not sure how true it is) that Eastern Brown snakes first strike is often a warning and does not involve the release of venom???
Most snakes will tend to bite "dry" the first time if they have a go. Problem if you've been bitten is there's no easy way to tell if it's been a dry bite or not.

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Browns are the ones to be wary of; they can just as likely go nuts at you. Tigers are generally pretty docile, but will go you if they feel there is no alternative. They have shit vision, so I've been told by a snake expert, so you're probably gone before they can get a fix on you to have a go. Blacks are one of the least worrisome snakes to encounter; they're pretty chilled so unlikely to have a go, and if the worst does happen and they have a chomp,their venom is not severely toxic to humans. You can still get pretty crook, and treatment is strongly advised, but you're not going to drop dead.
Been my experience too Duck, browns are the ones to watch out for due to their potential to be so bloody aggressive and big. I was born in Vic and grew up in the bush near Emerald as a kid and used to come across red bellies all the time. They were always placid, even if you got too close to them and they decided to move on. Even the tigers and copperheads weren't much trouble either, but you knew to respect them and keep your distance. At least they're mostly seasonal down that way; snakes are about all year round in SE Qld.

It's a bit like the fearing the ocean isn't it; would you give up surfing because of the ever present but unlikely risk of being chewed up by a shark?

marsbe

adequately spanked
I've been lunged at by a brown snake coming down South Boundary Road. It's a little scary to think what could have happened if had it successfully connected with my leg...

Beej1

It's a bit like the fearing the ocean isn't it; would you give up surfing because of the ever present but unlikely risk of being chewed up by a shark?
As well as just plain not 'getting' the surfing thing (the actual riding part never looks long enough), sharks is probably the main reason I wouldn't surf.

Completely irrational - the odds are simply ridiculously low that I'd get chewed up.

But, most of the more likely ways to go seem either faster or less terrifying than being eaten alive by something you can't see coming for the next bite due to all the blood in the water around you.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
I've been lunged at by a brown snake coming down South Boundary Road. It's a little scary to think what could have happened if had it successfully connected with my leg...
Yeah that is a worry! As a bit of a hike to get help along Sth Boundary depending where you where at the time.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Browns are the ones to be wary of; they can just as likely go nuts at you. Tigers are generally pretty docile, but will go you if they feel there is no alternative. They have shit vision, so I've been told by a snake expert, so you're probably gone before they can get a fix on you to have a go.
What I have been advised by more than one snake handler is that Browns are super skittish and are usually pretty desperate to get away. However if you do see one its because it was surprised or it is in some way trapped with you then in that case they aren't at all happy, pretty freaked out and can be very dangerous.

A lot of times people meet Copperheads and confuse them to be brown snakes. Copperheads are most of the time very docile but will readily rear up to basically say "piss off" but won't do more than that if you leave them alone.

Snakes have terrible eyesight and no memory. They spot you by movement against the background, so if you stand still they won't see you and will forget about you. So actually coming across a snake and seeing it is usually a non-dangerous situation if you leave it alone. Of course when riding, moving and probably not noticing many snakes just off the track there is a little more risk that one may react.

Mattl

Likes Dirt
Have any other riders here actually been lunged at by a snake on the trails? I've come very close to black & brown snakes but they have all headed in the opposite direction apart from a small brown or copperhead snake that was stationary and reared up ( I thought it was a stick until I passed close to it & then looked back to see it slither off). At least it didn't have a strike at me. I'm a keen surfer too and despite seeing a couple of sharks in the past. close encounters with snakes especially when I am riding alone are more of a concern.

Flow-Rider

Burner
About 2 years ago I watched a Ranger collect about 6 whip snakes from under some rubber matts around the water tank near the power lines. The last time I looked they removed the rubber mats.

Eastern Browns are overly aggressive around mating season and if you stand on one or corner it. Most other times they will just slither away from you.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
ranger digger was saying the other day an agitated tiger (SE vic) will BEAT you over the length of a cricket pitch if its going you...
they are really quick but only in a straight line.....so deviate left or right (dont try to outrun them if theyre behind) to get out of their straight path of attack ;)

Last edited:

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Have any other riders here actually been lunged at by a snake on the trails?
You betcha! Twice I've been chased by juvenile tiger snakes on yarra trails and they were quick and persistent. A couple of feigned strikes on slow trail. Last year a young boy was struck while walking his bike over a log roll on the yarra trail. Log rolls and berms with wood in them are a snake magnet. Dinner comes to them. With the wet and high bunny population there will be a lot of snakes this summer and lots of juveniles soon after. Juvenile tiger snakes at least have no fear and full of agro.

redbruce

Eats Squid
You betcha! Twice I've been chased by juvenile tiger snakes on yarra trails and they were quick and persistent. A couple of feigned strikes on slow trail. Last year a young boy was struck while walking his bike over a log roll on the yarra trail. Log rolls and berms with wood in them are a snake magnet. Dinner comes to them. With the wet and high bunny population there will be a lot of snakes this summer and lots of juveniles soon after. Juvenile tiger snakes at least have no fear and full of agro.
This. As pointed out earlier, Browns are not reliably predictable and may well just stand their ground.

Juvies, whether brown or tiger (in YT area) are equally so, due to inexperience. Thankfully their teeth are short and accuracy of strike poor (later, a common brown trait generally).

Many snakes are more likely nocturnal hunters, and for tigers, favorite food is frogs, so plentiful near water.

Given conditions, it will be a bumper year for snakes for much of Aus. Always carry an appropriate 1st aid kit and know how to use it.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
A lot of times people meet Copperheads and confuse them to be brown snakes. Copperheads are most of the time very docile but will readily rear up to basically say "piss off" but won't do more than that if you leave them alone.
Best line I ever heard about Copperheads is they're that placid they won't even lick you to death! :love:

Snake expert I went to a presentation by said Copperheads very rarely bite, even when really annoyed, they'll just headbutt you. Tale he told of when he was a snake catcher for the local council; got a phone call from a very distressed woman - young kid had "found" a snake by standing on it in the backyard, and stayed standing on it, and the snake was repeatedly having a go to get the kid to get off. Needless to say he got there pretty quick, and found the snake to be a Copperhead. Not a single bite on the kid.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Link to an article I read in the paper version of my local rag this afternoon:

http://www.redlandcitybulletin.com.au/story/4204467/snake-catcher-nabs-a-red-bellied-beauty/

The words echo previous comments here that red bellies are quite shy, but what a behemoth though! I reckon you'd find your second wind pretty quickly if you came across that bugger on the trails.

nuclear_powered said:
As well as just plain not 'getting' the surfing thing (the actual riding part never looks long enough), sharks is probably the main reason I wouldn't surf.

Completely irrational - the odds are simply ridiculously low that I'd get chewed up.

But, most of the more likely ways to go seem either faster or less terrifying than being eaten alive by something you can't see coming for the next bite due to all the blood in the water around you.
I think it's the inevitability of a violent death by a shark that feeds the irrational thoughts. Sort of like a plane crash, a brutal ending is all but guaranteed despite the low likelihood of it happening to you.

I personally don't know how people can live in the far north where crocodiles reside aplenty, and live on land as well as in water!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not sure if I have posted in here before but I have been struck on the boot by browns while riding motorbikes. Happens in no time.

As for red belly blacks I had the biggest one here at home I have ever seen. Carried it to the fence to drop it into the farm next door. It the came straight back to the house so I took it back again. Then spent 10 minutes persuading it to stay on the other side of the fence. It couldn't give a shit.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Red bellies are snake eaters...you want them hanging around to clean up the young browns and tigers if they turn up.

Most grown up snakes will give you a warning strike without trying to waste venom on you...unless you are standing on them. Young ones will generally add venom to the bite as a survival instinct.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have any other riders here actually been lunged at by a snake on the trails?
Yeah a couple of times, both times I am pretty sure the snake/s were injured.

Once on the yarra trails where the guy in front rode over it and it was super pissed at me. It struck at the cranks but I had time to see it's mouth open ready to chomp and had my legs up over the bars.

Second was on the side of the road, think it had been hit. Was on a run, not thinking, and an just about stomped on a coiled up snake. I jumped for Australia and it half heartly had a crack.

Last summer, riding along the yarra trail, a big fk off tiger full on hissed at me loud enough I thought I had a flat. Didn't see it at the time but turned around and saw the typical puffed up & flatten head the tigers do when pissed off.

I had so many close calls last season I am off to do a first aid course to learn how to treat a bite correctly. Already pack 3 compression bandages. Anywhere near water with tall grass/weeds is infested with snakes in Melbourne.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Best line I ever heard about Copperheads is they're that placid they won't even lick you to death! :love:

Snake expert I went to a presentation by said Copperheads very rarely bite, even when really annoyed, they'll just headbutt you. Tale he told of when he was a snake catcher for the local council; got a phone call from a very distressed woman - young kid had "found" a snake by standing on it in the backyard, and stayed standing on it, and the snake was repeatedly having a go to get the kid to get off. Needless to say he got there pretty quick, and found the snake to be a Copperhead. Not a single bite on the kid.
There is a lot of energy tied up with venom production. As such it generally isn't frivolously deployed.

Copperheads are dinural hunters and they prefer frogs.

We are relatively safe.

Yeah a couple of times, both times I am pretty sure the snake/s were injured.

Once on the yarra trails where the guy in front rode over it and it was super pissed at me. It struck at the cranks but I had time to see it's mouth open ready to chomp and had my legs up over the bars.

Second was on the side of the road, think it had been hit. Was on a run, not thinking, and an just about stomped on a coiled up snake. I jumped for Australia and it half heartly had a crack.

Last summer, riding along the yarra trail, a big fk off tiger full on hissed at me loud enough I thought I had a flat. Didn't see it at the time but turned around and saw the typical puffed up & flatten head the tigers do when pissed off.

I had so many close calls last season I am off to do a first aid course to learn how to treat a bite correctly. Already pack 3 compression bandages. Anywhere near water with tall grass/weeds is infested with snakes in Melbourne.

Unusual for first rider (or bushwalker) to be hit, but common for follower. I see this time and time again as a rider, bushwalker and in my outdoor (ag research) working life.
Advice to carry gear and training, sage.

Current standard:
http://stjohn.org.au/assets/uploads/fact sheets/english/FS_snakebite.pdf

I meet maybe 6-12+ snakes a year with work and play.

They are to be respected and admired. From my experience, basic snake knowledge holds you (and them) in good stead.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
OK- Im terrified

14 encounters last session- not like I was counting.....................................

-3 x copperheads over two days up at Buller
-2 x Browns at Youies- Bruce up top of Rockwells (hissed so loud we thought it was a tyre leak) and smaller one near ranger station
- 9 x tigers on Yarra trails- two had a go at me and both were juveniles- scary fuckers. One of those charged up the trail at me to get me to bugger off. On a number of occasions I saw the snakes in time to stop, they all stopped too and checked me out. It was like a staring comp and then they moved off once I moved. This might be because of their poor eyesight- they felt me coming but once I stopped they couldnt see me and then buggered off when I moved. Most sightings were along the single track between Westerfolds and Candlebark. I had a juvenile slide up behind me while I was taking a leak, turned around and it was at my feet. I jumped over it and it freaked out and went crazy. I spent 6 months working on the trails last session and only saw one snake while on foot- all the other occasions where while riding. We obviously surprise them on bikes- they have time to piss off if you are on foot.

I am terrified of snakes and always carry first aid. I always take the time to watch them- they are stunning creatures- hoping it will alleviate my fears. One Summer I had so many close calls I stopped riding the Yarra trails and brought a road bike.

You are right about log rolls- snakes love them. Got to fill them with dirt- till you can get a chainsaw for bigger ones. Im surprised how many are made when a basic hand saw will clear the obstacle.

I am shocked at the risks people take along the Yarra- with dogs and kids in long grass, picnics on the river edge, naked men on the beats and people who cycle, quickly on narrow trails with nowhere to go, surrounded by long grass and bush in the most populated deadly snake region on the planet. What are you thinking?