Snapped fork steerer

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Has anyone snapped their fork steerer before? What did you do to fix it; get a new steerer installed (how much $$) or just hang them on the wall and buy new forks. This is my dilema since this morning.

Attachments

aero165

Likes Dirt
OUCH! I've done that before. It hurt like hell. How'd you do it?

I ended up just buying new forks

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Hit a tree square on. I didn't feel a thing as I bailed on impact. Just heard a huge BANG. Also going to need a new headset and rear shifter cable and surround.
Looks like the xc bike might be ridden for a few months.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Gripsport might be able to repair it. Worth asking them at any rate.

The owner is on RB a fair bit too, username = Grip.

I guess if your going to break a steerer tube you want it to be on an impact that dismounts you from the bike. Can't imagine how ugly it would get if you were moving at speed and all of a sudden your front end just goes awol!

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gripsport might be able to repair it. Worth asking them at any rate.

The owner is on RB a fair bit too, username = Grip.

I guess if your going to break a steerer tube you want it to be on an impact that dismounts you from the bike. Can't imagine how ugly it would get if you were moving at speed and all of a sudden your front end just goes awol!
i dont think gripsport will be able to fix that one, they do steer tube extension but not that kinda extension.

sorry to hear you buggered your forks, might be an idea to email marzocchi aus, and they may be able to help you out, or give you a feasible option

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looks to me like the crown is also cracked. if so a new set of uppers is all you should need shouldnt be to hard to track down

0psi

Eats Squid
Nearly all steerers are now pressed into the crown and usually something that's best not messed with. Just had a peek at SCV and they have pretty good stock of CSUs so your LBS should be able to sort you out. CSU will set you back around the $250-$300 mark and hopefully you have a techno weenie friend who can re-build your forks for you, otherwise you'll have to fork (excuse the pun) out for a service as well.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Nearly all steerers are now pressed into the crown and usually something that's best not messed with. Just had a peek at SCV and they have pretty good stock of CSUs so your LBS should be able to sort you out. CSU will set you back around the $250-$300 mark and hopefully you have a techno weenie friend who can re-build your forks for you, otherwise you'll have to fork (excuse the pun) out for a service as well.
At that rate I think these will be getting mounted on the wall. There's plenty of 06/07 66 forks on here for $300-400. They are great forks that are very plush and have taken plenty from me for the past 2 years. The crown isn't cracked, it's tape I wrap around it to protect it from cable rub. Anyway, looks like I'll be in the market for a new set of forks. In the mean time I'll be getting fitter on the xc/am bike.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
i dont think gripsport will be able to fix that one, they do steer tube extension but not that kinda extension.
Wanna bet?

We do extensions AND replacements.

Assuming the crown is OK we can press a new steerer (genuine heavy-duty Marz item) in for $135.