Snowboarding vs Skiing!

LZYBOY

Likes Dirt
Ummm ... just wondering, how many of mountain bikers hit the white stuff every year in winter? For some reason, I immediately draw a conlusion mtb'er = snowboarder and roadie = skier. Is this assumption totally off the mark or am I hitting the nail on the head!

I'll start off, I snowboard and wouldn't touch a set of ski's ... maybe its an extension of the mtb vs roadie mentality! Hehehe ...

konasaurus

Likes Dirt
i dont live near the snow so i wouldnt have a clue .... but yes i have thought that before and agree with ya all the way hahaha

bazza

look at me
i loved skiing when i did it. i tried the snowboard and i didnt like it much, its easier to get down shitty hills though........but yeah. thats my input. woot....

Woodsie

Likes Dirt
Skier definitely. Tried snowboarding, but it keeps on biting me.

I've always thought:
cyclist (MTB or roadie) = moto = blader = skier
skater = surfer = snowboarder

Not a rule, just a similarity in skills.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
i don't hit the slopes every year, went to buller twice for 2 weeks each time and i never tried snow boarding.... but in a period of 3 or 4 days i was hitting up some of the hardest hills in buller, skiing rockz0rs my sockz0rs

_J_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im a MTB'er and love my snowboard. !! grreat fun, Falls Creek is the best place in melb for snow!

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Snowboard. I got my first mountain bike and snowboard at the same time, summer 1988 in Whistler - what a place to learn.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I've skiied for over 12 years and boarded for about 4. Obviously I'm heaps better at skiing, and actually have my own set of ski's. So I take them up and hire a snowboard and do both.
Take out the ski's if I want to go to the terrain park or hit the more advanced slopes or if its really icy. Take the snowboard if I just want to cruize on the more gentle slopes, or if theres fresh snow.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Interesting correlation.... I would have thought the same, but from people I know I'd say otherwise.

I live in the Mountains, I ski, I XC ski and I board about once a year (mainly to remind myself why I ski :wink: )

My son skis like a madman, XC skis and has the same dislike of boarding as me, but he is much better than me.

My daughter skis, XC skis & boards, very good at all 3.

I was thinking more along the lines of DH riders DH ski and XC riders XC ski, but we do the lot anyway.

My son just like to spend time in the air, it doesn't matter whether he is on skis or a bike!!! The bigger the jump the better :lol:

Dane

Likes Dirt
Woodsie said:
Skier definitely. Tried snowboarding, but it keeps on biting me.

I've always thought:
cyclist (MTB or roadie) = moto = blader = skier
skater = surfer = snowboarder

Not a rule, just a similarity in skills.
nah i disagree big time.
I surf, snow ski, cycle and have just started wake-boarding. i have know interest however in water skiing, skating or blading.

i don't think its possible to put a rule to it. when i went wakeboarding on the weekend it was with someone who will snow board but he water skiis. - not interested in wakeboarding.

i also met (Xtreme) Dave from trix industiries. He bmx's, snowboards, skates and wakeboards.

If anything don't write off skiing as old and shitty. as i understand it having two snow ski's means you have two edges to carve it up - whereas a on snowboard you only have one edge. Failing all that on skiis you generally spend less time on your ass!

naz

Criminally Inane
ski's, ski's style 100 times better, 99% of snowboarders are out of control(literally) and cant stop that easy, and ski's look better on rails :p

woot, i love skiing, got salomon 1080's and 810 bindings, hmm twin tips

oh and snowboarding resembles skating, the root of all evil :p

dave

Likes Bikes
I am a boarder, surfer and now windsurfer as well.

Skiing looks unco on jumps with poles and tips pointing everywhere. And there is no style whatsoever in landing a jump looking over your shoulder (backwards).

And come on, is there anything better than a couple of feet of powder, empty off piste sections, with massive arc turns and rooster tails everwhere. That is what I call heaven. oh to be in europe again.....sigh

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I mainly board, but still ski occasionally.
I reckon the Ski Vs Board argument is up there with Ford/Holden and XC/DH - pointless. Both are great for different reasons.

naz

Criminally Inane
dave said:
I am a boarder, surfer and now windsurfer as well.

Skiing looks unco on jumps with poles and tips pointing everywhere. And there is no style whatsoever in landing a jump looking over your shoulder (backwards).

And come on, is there anything better than a couple of feet of powder, empty off piste sections, with massive arc turns and rooster tails everwhere. That is what I call heaven. oh to be in europe again.....sigh
pffft its better than flappin ur arms everytime u jump without grabbing, and riding rails on skis actually requires a level of skill, any snowboarder can ride on 2 a rail, ye riding powder, but what about ice, ur on ur ass every five seconds

Mahoney_007

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You all suck, Ive never had a go at either (fuckin Perth)

But I'm keen as mustard to have a go at Snowboarding.

Nothing wrong with "owning" a skateboard naz :wink:

junior

get out of my grill
i want to take my bike to the snow. none of this snowboard stuff or sking. :)
i used to snowboard every year but got over it and go in summer for mtb'ing now.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you can go sandboarding over here but not snowboarding. love to have a go at snowboarding.maybe skiings not as popular cos of the serious injury that can happen when your legs accidently come apart!

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I love skiing. More than MTB too. It just looks so much better now with twin tips... jumping and landing backwards looks so much better on skis, and off axis rotations are amazing. But i'm a fat shit and i can't jump [(or ride) and in the air i have the style of a drunken retarded seal] so i just watch in amazment. But i'm progressing in the pipe and on the rails.

How good is whistler...