Snowboarding vs Skiing!

wombat

Lives in a hole
naz said:
oh and snowboarding resembles skating, the root of all evil :p
Remind me to wrap my old lump of maple round your head; it's not like I can remember how to use it anyway.

As for the snow thing, I've only had a proper go at boarding: I loved it, I was skating heaps at the time so the idea was pretty familiar, but carving big frontside turns on snow was awesome.

Trying to draw parallels between different disciplines of cycling and different snow sports smacks of "cool factor" though, in which case I suggest you pay less attention to advertising.

mattydownhiller

Likes Dirt
LZYBOY said:
Ummm ... just wondering, how many of mountain bikers hit the white stuff every year in winter? For some reason, I immediately draw a conlusion mtb'er = snowboarder and roadie = skier. Is this assumption totally off the mark or am I hitting the nail on the head!

I'll start off, I snowboard and wouldn't touch a set of ski's ... maybe its an extension of the mtb vs roadie mentality! Hehehe ...

u r rite man mtb'er = snowboarder and roadie = skier and snowbording is farkin awsome

LZYBOY

Likes Dirt
Hehehe ... I knew this one would provoke at least a little discussion! I have yet to decide what I like better, riding or snowboarding. The pro's of riding is that you can do it anytime and anywhere, and the one major con with riding is that damn rule of "what goes down must come up!". On the other hand with snowboarding (and dare I say skiing as well!) is that you can only in one direction and that is down! Thank god for ski lifts! But it is expensive and only happens for 3 months a year!!

Woodsie

Likes Dirt
LZYBOY said:
On the other hand with snowboarding (and dare I say skiing as well!) is that you can only in one direction and that is down!
Though on skis you can go flat aswell. Traversing to that sweet powder run on a snowboard sux! :evil:

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Daver said:
I love skiing. More than MTB too. It just looks so much better now with twin tips... jumping and landing backwards looks so much better on skis, and off axis rotations are amazing.

How good is whistler...
?? fakie stuff on skis looks sooo goofy! doesn't look right at all. In general i've always thought skiiing looked pretty goofy. The skiier-x at the winter x games looks rad tho'. Especially when palmer did it...

whistler is good.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
kalem said:
Daver said:
I love skiing. More than MTB too. It just looks so much better now with twin tips... jumping and landing backwards looks so much better on skis, and off axis rotations are amazing.

How good is whistler...
?? fakie stuff on skis looks sooo goofy! doesn't look right at all. In general i've always thought skiiing looked pretty goofy. The skiier-x at the winter x games looks rad tho'. Especially when palmer did it...

whistler is good.
no way!!! watch Candide Thovex. His fakie stuff is amazing

Dave J

Squid
Went to NZ a few years ago with a bunch of mates, some of the were riders. All of the riders plus a few others went boarding, the rest skied. Though there was 1 roadie who boarded, but he didn't own a roadie only a mtb at the time. So a reasonable generalisation i thinks

DJ

Robza

Likes Bikes
Skiing is deffently better than snowboarding. Thats why people say im going skiing. Not im going snowboarding

george222

Likes Bikes
_J_ said:
im a MTB'er and love my snowboard. !! grreat fun, Falls Creek is the best place in melb for snow!

WTF!! Falls creek is the best place in melb for snow.
r u fucken retarded? falls creek is nowhere near melb.

RedPill

Likes Dirt
I have been snowboarding for about 4-5 years and i love it, would never stop, i started skiing but prefer to snowboard, however got good mates who are awsome skiiers and they make it look awsome, i say know matter what you prefer your always going to enjoy it at the snow so know point it argueing which is better.

-hayden-

Likes Bikes
i skied, then i tried snowboading and it way better once you can do it, i'd recommend it to any body that goes to the snow

topher

Likes Dirt
To the bloke who asked about the K2 Public Enemies. If your getting 05's make sure you dont get a salomon binding because there are the most PATHETIC things. Based on sales at the ski shop i work at, we sell more marker and look bindings than sals, based on performance. You will like the 05's, im currently riding 04's no faults at all, pretty nice ski, fair firm tip through tail, the tail has a nice pop. However ive currently decided that doing massive tricks on these skis is some what difficult going into switch and high speed. So i suggest if your gonna do that you look at some k2 Seth Vicous, great skis alot widder than the publics great for ripping the shit out of those kickers and super pipes. However if there not up your alley, have alook at some Maiden A.K'S. Next skis for me! Skiing on these things are made. Ive been told "there to impractical for australian snow" by a ski instructer. However i think not! These things are uber wider 137mm tip 110mm waist 127mm tail. These things are the most stable things ive ever skied on and they dont chatter around in others skis ruts these things just straight though it no concern. Going switch on these is a new experience. I suggest if you want more park than all mountain you should go Maiden A.K'S. However publics are a good starting point to lauch into the world of twin tips!

Skiers dont look unco in the air with poles! Obviously youve seen little kiddies doing it. When you see someone with class, and a calm nature flying through the air youll know how good they can be. Just look at some of the float 360's people pull. Skiers pull better tricks anyway. When i was over in canada, i watched a big air comp. The winning skier pulled a 1440 BIO FLIP. For those of you who dont know what that is. Its an off axis back flip that looks uber trippy. The winder snow boarder however pulled a 360 rodeo flip i think it was.

lokal phil

Likes Dirt
Robza said:
Skiing is deffently better than snowboarding. Thats why people say im going skiing. Not im going snowboarding
Yeh awsome conclusion buddy. i don't no any snowboarders that say yeh im going skiing.
i've been snowboarding for 5 years now and love it. i've got a lot of respect for skiers, the style those guys have is insane, looks really tricky.

josh123

Likes Dirt
Don't even get me started on this topic....it alwayas ends up messy. But yer i'll talk anyway. I love and have a huge amount of respect for good snowboarders who know their ability etc. Hate the noobs who hang out on the double blacks and blacks and have NO IDEA!!!!! Skier through and through. Never converting! I find it a lot speedier and a much bigger thrilL IMO. In NO way am i a roadie either....bitch;)

pez

Likes Bikes
Conclusions

LZYBOY said:
Ummm ... just wondering, how many of mountain bikers hit the white stuff every year in winter? For some reason, I immediately draw a conlusion mtb'er = snowboarder and roadie = skier. Is this assumption totally off the mark or am I hitting the nail on the head!

I'll start off, I snowboard and wouldn't touch a set of ski's ... maybe its an extension of the mtb vs roadie mentality! Hehehe ...
MTB'ER = SKIER

JUST ASK GOD WHAT HE'S ON.
INGMAR STENMARK USES 2, SO DO HIS DISCIPLES - SCHMIDT, PLAKE, LEE, MUELLAR, KILLY, MAHR BROS.( SHOWING MY AGE HERE)
BUT I JUST LURRRVE IT WHEN THEY'RE POINTING DOWN THE HILL, JUST LIKE MY TWO 2.35's

[Z]

Likes Dirt
skiing is so much btter than snow boarding, i mean you go faster and is more technical.... i looooove skiing and is equally my favourite sport with mtb

I've been skiing since I could walk! Absolutly love it. I tried snow boarding a year ago and spent the whole week on my ass, so im sticking with skiing, seems a lot more in control and graceful.

Caine

Likes Dirt
snowboarding feels to right for me. after surfing for years and skateboarding for years snowboarding felt right......now if there were some form on Snow MTB........ yeah...........

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tubeless, surfs & wakeboards & snowboards. I don't like skating but can respect the fact that a lot of tricks (especially in regards to snowboarding) were born from it.

Skiers at day3 (learning) look like skiers at day3000 unless they're professionals and then they look cool. Same as roadies?
Boarders at day3 look useless but will develop a lot more, looking better at a lesser level then professional. Like Mtn bikers?