So, I’ve come to the dark side. My 2021 Levo SL

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I don't think a chipped bike it that big an issue. An electric dirt bike, yes and you can easily tell the difference. Things will have to change as these things are coming and there just needs to be education to show landholders that your normal class 1 Ebikes don't do any more damage to the trails than normal bikes.
OK this thread has already been pretty hijacked but I'll just mention that while ebikes meeting EN15194 have been shown not to increase trail wear during passive testing, the different style of riding has provoked some thought with respect to the design of climbing switchbacks and the much touted "can ride further/longer" benefit does have the flipside that novice users are using 200% more trail per use which means 200% trail wear that the individual would previously have caused.
You also get novice riders now being capable of travelling at ~20kmh on a trail whereas their skillset is much more suited to >10kmh

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
OK this thread has already been pretty hijacked but I'll just mention that while ebikes meeting EN15194 have been shown not to increase trail wear during passive testing, the different style of riding has provoked some thought with respect to the design of climbing switchbacks and the much touted "can ride further/longer" benefit does have the flipside that novice users are using 200% more trail per use which means 200% trail wear that the individual would previously have caused.
You also get novice riders now being capable of travelling at ~20kmh on a trail whereas their skillset is much more suited to >10kmh
Are you trying to tell me that braking bumps leading into corners of climbing trails are only a new development?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
You could also say that the huge uptake of mountain biking as a whole has caused more wear and tear on the trails. I'd also say that this increase is much bigger than the increase in Ebikes (E-mountain bike sales are less that 20% of MTB sales).
Does that mean do we stop sales of mountain bikes due to being too many? No of course not! More riders means more people in the community and that gives more incentive for councils and governments to provide better trails and trail funding. We wouldn't have the awesome trails networks we have now if we still had the tiny MTB community that we had in the 90's.

Yes, you do get some people on Ebikes doing the wrong thing like cutting switchbacks but people have doing the wrong thing on the trails has been an issue long before Ebikes were a thing. Strava lines cutting descending switchbacks, riding muddy trails, XC warriors riding up descending trails, people riding walking only tracks has been a problem since MTB trails was a thing.

I've also heard the argument that Ebike riders aren't part of the MTB community so don't know the "riders code" and you can argue the same thing with anyone that takes up mountain biking. There's no secret society that mountain bikers have to join before going riding on the trails. You'll find that the majority of Ebike riders (like myself) have been part of the community for decades.
Like anything it comes down to education, whether it be a code of conduct at trail heads, trail etiquette pushed in MTB media and clubs and calling out actions if it is seen.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
But you stump up a whole bunch of post that are against Ebikes ;)
I harass perfectly capable riders who get an ebike "because they can" as the physical challenge is one of the core reasons that I ride.
It's mostly good natured, whether that translates through text or not.

I am very much anti anyone who thinks it's perfectly OK to ride modified machines that no longer meet the Aus Standard and therefore aren't legally bicycles under the Road Traffic Act.
There's valid arguments for adopting the higher classes of pedalec for commuting purposes but they don't belong on trails.

In my day to day employment, I am faced with having to justify cycling access to natural areas on an almost daily basis and have seen first hand how little "evidence" against bikes is needed to have them left out of the conversation altogether.

The huge uptake in MTB is part of what is driving the current mega expansion and investment into dedicated trail networks and newer trails are definitely taking increased use into consideration.
Trail development and advocacy is still quite complex at times and often politics/risk assessment plays a big part in what can be developed on public lands.

Private MTB parks are a different equation which is why Maydena (and the like) can more easily build raw, technical trails

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I'm not anti e-bike by any means (I wrote a bunch of internal docs back in 2017 to ensure that rangers understood their definition as a bicycle under the SA road traffic act and therefore NPWS regs) but am very anti those who will exploit the system for their own fun at the detriment of others
But you stump up a whole bunch of post that are against Ebikes ;)
I didn't see anything against e-bikes. Just valid concerns around things that are arguably not even e-bikes.

But yea apologies for completely derailing your thread :p

Stredda

I harass perfectly capable riders who get an ebike "because they can" as the physical challenge is one of the core reasons that I ride.
It's mostly good natured, whether that translates through text or not.

I am very much anti anyone who thinks it's perfectly OK to ride modified machines that no longer meet the Aus Standard and therefore aren't legally bicycles under the Road Traffic Act.
There's valid arguments for adopting the higher classes of pedalec for commuting purposes but they don't belong on trails.

In my day to day employment, I am faced with having to justify cycling access to natural areas on an almost daily basis and have seen first hand how little "evidence" against bikes is needed to have them left out of the conversation altogether.

The huge uptake in MTB is part of what is driving the current mega expansion and investment into dedicated trail networks and newer trails are definitely taking increased use into consideration.
Trail development and advocacy is still quite complex at times and often politics/risk assessment plays a big part in what can be developed on public lands.

Private MTB parks are a different equation which is why Maydena (and the like) can more easily build raw, technical trails
That's ok, no offence taken, but to be fair if you really wanted the purest physical challenge you would park your bike and just run in the bush instead. I've heard the tired and well used comments of "why have you got and Ebike, you are not disabled" or "it's cheating". Just remember that a bicycle is a mechanical advantage and an Ebike is just an addition to that. The whole point of a bicycle is to go further, faster and easier than walking/running and anyone that thinks it's the purest form of getting around is kidding themselves.

Yes, I definitely agree that people shouldn't modify their bikes and be happy with what they have. My bike isn't chipped and have no plans to chip it.

My role over the past 10 years has been with development of MTB trails in Tasmania, I've been heavily involved with the Wild Mersey, Penguin, Dial Range and West Coast trails, so I do know a thing or two about getting trail access. I deal with Parks and Wildlife on a weekly basis. I have also yet to see any pushback due to Ebikes as a thing it's more around mountain bikes in general. Once again, ensuring that landholders are properly informed is key.

I didn't see anything against e-bikes. Just valid concerns around things that are arguably not even e-bikes.

But yea apologies for completely derailing your thread :p
No need for an apology. I don't mind a bit of healthy debate.:p

I kind of think that these comments are kind of aimed at Ebikes not being a good thing. ;)

"the different style of riding has provoked some thought with respect to the design of climbing switchbacks and the much touted "can ride further/longer" benefit does have the flipside that novice users are using 200% more trail per use which means 200% trail wear that the individual would previously have caused.
You also get novice riders now being capable of travelling at ~20kmh on a trail whereas their skillset is much more suited to >10kmh"
"I harass perfectly capable riders who get an ebike "because they can" as the physical challenge is one of the core reasons that I ride."

Look I get why some people don't like Ebikes and it's easy to fix, don't buy one.;)

Stredda

After breaking my seat stay and having to wait for the replacement I decided to rebuild the motor. Mainly as I thought the sprag bearing was on it's way out, as it has slipped under full standing up cranking once or twice. The motor has done over 8300km so not a bad effort and other than that occasional slip, it still runs great.

I ordered a bearing and seal kit from Ebike Motor Centre and had a crack at fitting new bearings and seals.

No going back now.
1707798520332.png

I bought the full kit but after cracking it open found that every thing was looking really good inside so just decided to replace the sprag bearing, and the crank bearing and seals.
1707798608271.png

1707798632926.png

The sprag bearing looked to be a little damaged. I have heard of them falling to pieces when people pull them out. The brass ring was a bitch to get out and its pressed in. It holds the sprag bearing in the housing.
1707798706057.png

It's all back together now and running pretty well. Sprag bearing seems to be doing its job, but I do have a bit of a noise like when your chain rubs on your chain guide coming from the motor under full load. I have some more plastic gear grease coming and will open it up to see if I can work out what is causing it and lube everything up some more.
Replacement black seat stay, new pivot bearing kit, derailleur, hanger and chain. (commuter wheels in place)
1707798937375.png