so whos booked a session at Maydena? and future of Private MTB parks.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Well we aren't far off seeing Maydena open up, whos booked in, did you consider the collective program?

Accommodation and food seems to be a big thing, and things to do outside (heaven forbid) riding, be it during poor weather conditions or just to take a break.

Are you considering heading down in the next 6 months or are you going to give a season and see how it all pans out?

If Maydena is a success, do you think we will see the rise in commerically based MTB parks in Australia? Will you take advantage of the growth? There's locations and private parks already existing, but nothing on this scale.

Will Greenvalley, boomerang park, Iride etc all start to consider this approach long term? Victorias cycling tourism is double that of the current tourism percentages with no signs of this easing. ( not specifically mountain bike.) Are you willing to pay for riding a private network or are you happy with the current set of public/council run facilities through the state/nation?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'll utilise as many great gravity locations as I can, happy to pay for a great facility and the reality is, shuttling public facilities often requires payment.

I'm hoping to get to Maydena this summer/autumn but don't have anything booked as yet. It's only a little over an hour to Hobart so that offers a few options for a rest day or two.

Really looking forward to Maydena, will make a week long trip to Tassie more than worthwhile when combined with some riding up north.

nakedape

Likes Dirt
I'll utilise as many great gravity locations as I can, happy to pay for a great facility and the reality is, shuttling public facilities often requires payment.

I'm hoping to get to Maydena this summer/autumn but don't have anything booked as yet. It's only a little over an hour to Hobart so that offers a few options for a rest day or two.

Really looking forward to Maydena, will make a week long trip to Tassie more than worthwhile when combined with some riding up north.
I’m not sure that a week would be enough. Seriously, you’d spend half a week at derby very easily, Maydena looks as though you’d spend the rest of the week, then there’s nth sth and Meehan penguin and others. Add Mona etc and you might as well be here two weeks.

Sent between two tin-cans joined by string

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not many places in Australia have unlimited access to 800m of elevation, that alone makes it stand out from anything else we have.

I'm definitely keen to check it out, particularly for the more natural trails, the bike park stuff doesn't interest me that much

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Cannot wait to get down there, although I don’t think it’ll happen next year. Kinda half committed to canada so if any bike trips will be had its that. I don’t mind paying, as long as the trails are well maintained. Private mx parks have been a big thing for awhile now, and the good ones are a pleasure to ride and always have plenty of people there, freeflight just north of mudgee is a good example, same as louee

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Hoping to get back down there next year, a dedicated riding trip for the boys and moi with good old mum looking after us.

Definitely will head down to Maydena and looking forward to a return to Derby.

No doubt by the time we are heading, it will be well ridden... hoping people don't draw too much of a comparison between free Derby and paying to ride at Maydena. They have a hard act to follow down there in Tassie...

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
So many questions!? Someone's a little excited I think..
Long term interest in the whole private MTB/tourism aspect of it is what drives all the questions. Sustainability and lifestyle are always a factor of what you do for a crust. The future of mountain biking in Australia's always a good topic and growth isn't fully being upheld by the council, or more so the long term upkeep. Opportunities are always interesting to discuss.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Why is paying such a big deal? Like for shuttles. . you'd be paying anyway right?
Its not, but just airing the thought that if its a pay-to-ride park, it would need to be pretty special to compete with Derby, some could say its not competing but it will when it comes to tourism dollars.

Looks like you can ride up to 200vm then all access beyond this is not allowed. https://www.maydenabikepark.com/about/faq/

kbekus

Likes Dirt
It really seems to be the case that parks, both private and public on crown/council land are popping up like mushrooms in the cow paddocks after rain. Maybe there's a boom going on? Seems odd that marathon XC seems to be falling on hard times just as we're seeing all this development in trail networks. I do hope it's sustainable and not just a fad.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I've been following the progress for a while and I think it looks fantastic. Can't wait to get down there for a burn.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Maydena is being built around considerable existing public assets. These are the $6.5 million Eagles Eyrie building and access road to the summit that the government was desperate to find a use, and the old primary school hub area at the base, so I wouldn't consider it as a completely private network. It's more of a private operator/ government partnership. Given the existing infrastructure and 800m drop, it's hard to imagine it being replicated anywhere by a completely private operator.

In terms of comparisons between Derby and Maydena, uplift costs for Maydena are pretty much on a par with a Blue Tier/ Atlas shuttle at Derby. Sure, you can shuttle the Derby network for free if you have access to two vehicles, but for most visitors that's not a consideration given the logistical challenges.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
So, where did ideate's posts in this thread go?
Probs washed away by the tears of a bulldozer m8.

Maydena however, is looking incredible... so much so that I've marked Tassie as the destination to move house to next year.
The saving begins...

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Another one. Who isn't considering the move? I fly out tomorrow to go look at it all again haha.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Another one. Who isn't considering the move? I fly out tomorrow to go look at it all again haha.
Was it your thread I was reading a while back about moving to Tas?

There's not a great deal around, rental or work-wise by the looks of things. In my price range around the northern Hobart area anyway...

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Yeah would of been. I'm down here now, it's changed abit since I was last down. Would be very easy to spend a wack of coin on all the foodie options! Need a few weeks just to scratch the surface. Plenty of works going on in terms of store front updates etc which is great to see,the little shops all seem to be busy.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Probs washed away by the tears of a bulldozer m8.

Maydena however, is looking incredible... so much so that I've marked Tassie as the destination to move house to next year.
The saving begins...
Put my name on a bed m8.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I was at the opening weekend.

Holy shitballs.

The place has covered a lot of bases! The shuttles were a bit slow, but it was opening day with over 250 riders, plus many other interested parties, families and just random in for a look. There are obviously goung to be teething issues and obviously rarely going to be that number of people around. All you could see were smiles. So maybe a 45 minute wait if you were unlucky. But generally about an hour turnaround per run. The shuttles themselves are comfy and efficient, great trailers, the access road is gravel but well built and pretty tame.. then the top.
This is true mountain stuff. Not many places in Aus offer views like this, and with the building up top it is a very unique experience.
The trails are awesome. There is no holding back here. Very little beginner terrain. They are graded consistently through green to pro line and vary from the sweetest crafting of bermage you will find anywhere to the loosest steepest old school gnar. Obviously you are smashing through much of Tassies unique, untouched and pristine wilderness, but you're too busy either laughing at the g's being generated around the berms or saying shit to yourself hoping the next double black section doesn't get you to be looking at it much. Absolutely brilliant trail building and layout. It is immense and ridiculous to think its only a quarter done! Pound for pound bike park, start quivering Queenstown..
Having the old school at the base is gold. With a pump track, kitchen serving food, undercover outdoor eating, bike wash and mech, showroom, merch, ticketing etc. it' a brilliant hub.
And the trails!! Did I mention those?
Spoke to some local yokels and they'e pretty upbeat about it all, as long as all you blow ins don't keep parking over their driveways or in front of their wheelie bins!!
I believe the freely accessed ride up section is in the 400m vert vicinity? As most of the black/double black stuff is down that way anyway (that may change, it's early days) that still puts it in the range of the biggest Aus has to offer!
I bought a premium collective membership and I' now convinced it was the right call. The place is mental. Everyone who's been anywhere internationally was comparing it straight up with whatever they'd seen. Yep, Whistler.
Do yourselves a favour and get down and check it out. It is exceptional. As a mate and I noted on day 2, sitting in amongst the 20ft manferns catching our breath, you just need to stop and think for a second that we'd just spent a few minutes pinning 40 of the best berms you'll ever see, dropping probably 300+ meters, and were not even half way.. we're looking down proper proper black terrain.. and we're an hour out of Hobart. It's so good it's easy to not realise how good it is.
Get down there.

Last edited: