Some useful 3D printed parts, tools and accessories

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Not sure yet going to give it a go later today and report back.
I would be surprised but impressed if its strong enough. I dont think you are in Melbourne are you? I bought a 27mm socket for my Durolux and got a mate to grind down the chamfer a bit. I would be happy to lend it to you if you need.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
@Litenbor see how it goes. Normally the prints are pretty weak across the printing plane even when using the tougher reinforced filaments. So it may not round out but will twist apart. I can probably make you a socket or spanner out of alu next time I have some excess stock in the machine.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I would be surprised but impressed if its strong enough. I dont think you are in Melbourne are you? I bought a 27mm socket for my Durolux and got a mate to grind down the chamfer a bit. I would be happy to lend it to you if you need.
@Litenbor see how it goes. Normally the prints are pretty weak across the printing plane even when using the tougher reinforced filaments. So it may not round out but will twist apart. I can probably make you a socket or spanner out of alu next time I have some excess stock in the machine.
Yeah looking at the fox torque guide it recommends 165 in lb for the top caps so no chance with this. I never got a chance to test the one you printed me @SummitFever so not sure how it would perform. Thanks for the offer @yuley95 I'm in Canberra so bit far to go for a socket and thanks @SummitFever a custom spanner would be lovely but don't go out of your way I can grab a socket from the big green sausage store for about $15 and grind the chamfer off it.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
What software is everyone using to design stuff? I have started Fusion 360 but that seems way to much for what I want to design (starting with volume spacers and travel reducers for my fork) and particularly complicated.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
There are some simpler drawing programs out there but you will reach their limits fairly quickly. I'd put the little extra effort into learning a proper cad package. Give FreeCAD a go. There are a few initial concepts to get your head around but after that it should be pretty smooth sailing. It's also free/open source, more intuitive than Fusion 360 and doesn't require you to store all of your stuff in the cloud.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
There are some simpler drawing programs out there but you will reach their limits fairly quickly. I'd put the little extra effort into learning a proper cad package. Give FreeCAD a go. There are a few initial concepts to get your head around but after that it should be pretty smooth sailing. It's also free/open source, more intuitive than Fusion 360 and doesn't require you to store all of your stuff in the cloud.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Everything I've made so far was with the kindergarten grade "tinkercad". Suits my mental capacity very well, but it definitely hits its limits quickly!

Time to learn is another thing though. Not convinced I'll find the hours needed to master and practice a more involved program.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

SummitFever

Eats Squid
There are some good youtube videos that will introduce you to the concepts. The main issue with learning/using (any) CAD software is that you pretty much need a plan in advance on how you are going to construct the part. There are always many ways to do this and part of the difficulty is deciding how you start. The starting approach will often lock you in to how the design evolves and how easy it will be to rework.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
There are some good youtube videos that will introduce you to the concepts. The main issue with learning/using (any) CAD software is that you pretty much need a plan in advance on how you are going to construct the part. There are always many ways to do this and part of the difficulty is deciding how you start. The starting approach will often lock you in to how the design evolves and how easy it will be to rework.
Sounds like Im going to pester you with questions during rides, if only I wasn't huffing and puffing so much to keep up.

Had a quick look at freeCAD and I think it's what I'm looking for, read through one of the tutorials and seemed reasonable. To be honest I think the starting point needs to be what is CAD then how to use CAD. Without the understanding of what it is I'm just going to be mashing buttons.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
What filament are you using for that? I'd be concerned about the strength of PLA for something like that. Maybe not as weak as the actual magura plastic, but still not super strong

Litenbror

Eats Squid
What filament are you using for that? I'd be concerned about the strength of PLA for something like that. Maybe not as weak as the actual magura plastic, but still not super strong

It is pla+ so it won't be that strong but this was a test to make sure they fit Formula brakes. I have a roll of ABS I'll print them out of once I've got the set up sorted.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
It is pla+ so it won't be that strong but this was a test to make sure they fit Formula brakes. I have a roll of ABS I'll print them out of once I've got the set up sorted.
That'll be a bit better. PLA is nice to work with, but I'm increasingly finding it less strong than I want it. Currently playing around with PETG which I find a lot stronger, but it's proving a pain to keep it stuck to the glass bed in bigger prints

...on a side note, are these matchymathingies any good to you?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
That'll be a bit better. PLA is nice to work with, but I'm increasingly finding it less strong than I want it. Currently playing around with PETG which I find a lot stronger, but it's proving a pain to keep it stuck to the glass bed in bigger prints

...on a side note, are these matchymathingies any good to you?

I'm interested to see how the ABS goes hopefully it lasts reasonably well. Any idea if they are for Shimano or SRAM? If you don't need them flick me a message and we can sort something out.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I'm interested to see how the ABS goes hopefully it lasts reasonably well. Any idea if they are for Shimano or SRAM? If you don't need them flick me a message and we can sort something out.
Pretty sure we're looking at 9sp SRAM here. Brakes are formula k24 if that's any help.

Happy to swap for non matchymathingies, I was half thinking to grind the tabs off these. Or just not use them because I hate dot fluid.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Pretty sure we're looking at 9sp SRAM here. Brakes are formula k24 if that's any help.

Happy to swap for non matchymathingies, I was half thinking to grind the tabs off these. Or just not use them because I hate dot fluid.

Hmm I'm not looking at going back to 9spd SRAM in the near future so probably not much use to me, it's grinder time.