Someone recommend me a 29er SS

haritone

Likes Dirt
Fellow 'burners

I have looking for a new ride that I can get some commuter miles on but also take to the trails for a bit of fun should the occasion arise. For some reason I've got it in my head that a single speed 29er would fit the build and I like the look of the Surly Karate Monkey SS and the Kona Unit.

Now apparently, a Surly is next to impossible to get into Australia at the moment and noone has a Kona on the floor for me to throw a leg over (or risk bringing to store) and Kona didn't bring my preferred colour into Oz.

So now I'm looking for new suggestions as to what could fit the bill. For reference, I have a Yeti SB66 and an Evil Sovereign, so the Surly/Kona seemed like a nice idea for something different.

What say you lot?

haritone

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the suggestions but I'm trying not to break the bank on this one. . The Kona has an RRP of 1499 and the Surly I believe a smidgen over that. I realise that limits my choices greatly but I already have a couple of fun bikes that I've built to my liking.

simon21

Likes Bikes
Ive got a Unit, its an awesome bike! You can get surprisingly rowdy on it. I did swap out the ss for 1x straight up though and some 2.35 Ikons. Be prepared though, fully rigid can shake you to bits.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
If you're looking for versatility commuting vs mtbing then a ss doesn't seem like the best option ??

A couple of sir9 frames in the trading section.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
On the right track with the Kona, short stays is were its at. You don't love me the chance pour so I was going to recommend Canfield Nimble 9 as there's cool colours, but you mentioned price, Kona and spray can it is.
agreed, single speed to do both road and trail is a big call. What about an Alfi e hub? Bit porkey but lighter than my Nuvinci hi. And I don't mind it. I do have other bikes but, and you need to remind yourself when going to bunny hop up gutters it's a heavy are.
Check my nimble 9 in the for sale section.

Snockers

Likes Bikes
I've had a large Karate Monkey for about 12 month, absolutely love it.

That said though, considering you're thing of mixing commuting and MTB, maybe something like a Kona Rove (Or Surly Straggler/Crosscheck for a few more $$) could be more suitable?

Otherwise, I can't think of much that'll be cheaper than a Unit, maybe a Charge Cooker from Wiggle? Might find some inspiration on Australian Recreeational Singlespeed Enthusiasts group on Facebook.

haritone

Likes Dirt
I can appreciate that the SS sounds an odd choice for mixing commuting and MTB, although the trails I'd take this thing on would be more on the tame side (think Pioneer Women's for those in SA, or the blue trails at the Camel Farm in WA). If I want to get rowdy then that's what I have the SB66 for.

The Canfield is a really nice bike but more than I'm willing to spend on this one.

Thanks for the feedback on the Kona and other suggestions.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
if you were in VIC you could have my kona unit - though i must say forks make it a much better fork than the rigid steel it cae with on the front [i think it weighed as much if not more than fork] i don't ride it now i have the cotic. i better put it up for sale
you could look at one of the cotic frames; there was a L for sale in the classifieds

Beaker74

Likes Dirt
Avanti KISS 29, steel frame, I have a set of rigid and suspension forks that I alternate.
I bought the frame off here and built it up with leftovers and secondhand bits.
Really good fun.

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Rigid shake you to bits?

If you're running tubes at 35+psi, then yes.

If you're running tubeless around 20-25psi (as I do) then you'll be just fine!

When the trails get too muddy, I'll do some country road miles with the pressure up to 30+ & it's fine. When the trails are sweet, I'll lower the pressure. Tubeless is the answer to rigid.

goobags

Likes Dirt
if you were in VIC you could have my kona unit - though i must say forks make it a much better fork than the rigid steel it cae with on the front [i think it weighed as much if not more than fork] i don't ride it now i have the cotic. i better put it up for sale
you could look at one of the cotic frames; there was a L for sale in the classifieds
What size is the unit?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I wonder when picking on ss, coffee and jeans is going to be untrendy.

Surely its the new hipster thing right now? Everyones doing it

dA_bOmBbIkE

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking of selling my Kona unit
Size large
Fox kashima fork
XT M800 brakes and cranks
Wolftooth ring
Thomson post
Syncros Carbon bar
Pm me if interested ;) oh and it's white...

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Rigid shake you to bits?

If you're running tubes at 35+psi, then yes.

If you're running tubeless around 20-25psi (as I do) then you'll be just fine!

When the trails get too muddy, I'll do some country road miles with the pressure up to 30+ & it's fine. When the trails are sweet, I'll lower the pressure. Tubeless is the answer to rigid.
Hmmm.... I had an Avanti KISS too and whilst it was one of the most versatile and fun bikes I've ever owned the novelty of breaking my wrists every time I rode over a malignant pebble got pretty boring. Being a large lad running sub 25psi isn't really an option either.

Hardtail with crappy 80mm fork FTW!

Beaker74

Likes Dirt
I lasted one ride with rigid forks. It now has 80mm of squish on the front.

Along with my 30mm carbon rims, 2.3in width tyres and low pressures, it rides very well.

Also potentially for sale due to the rather parlous state of my finances atm.

Last edited: