Something Carbon from Santa Cruz

Mobywan

Likes Dirt
Picked up my carbon Nomad from Nerang Mtb Centre today... damn it's sexy.

Frame - Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
Rear shock - RP23
Front shock/fork - 2011 Fox Talas 36 RLC w/ Kashima coat
Handlebars - Sunline V1 19mm
Stem - Thomson X4 70mm
Headset - Cane Creek XIX
Grips - Odi Rogue (thanks bud)
Saddle - Enduro
Seatpost - Thomson Elite
Front brake - Avid Juicy 7 Ultimates 203mm
Rear brake - Avid Juicy 7 Ultimates 185mm
Cranks - Shimano XT custom for Specialized
Chainguide - E13 LG+1
Pedals - XT (XTR on their way)
Rear derailleur - XO
Rear shifter - X9
Cassette - XT 9 spd
Wheels - DT Swiss E2200
Tyres - Specialized SWorks Eskar 2.35

Total weight - 13.03kgs on the shop scales without pedals. Blew me away. And that's with the E2200's. Still 1/2kg to be lost with a wheel swap down the track.

Big shout out to Mark and Kylie at Nerang for the awesome service as always. You guys have got it nailed. And thanks to Andrew from Neezy for getting the frame down there this morning so it could be built up today. :D

Just finished putting some protective film on the important bits before the first ride tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mobywan

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys. :)

First ride down.... it rocks. So stiff and responsive. And very quiet too compared to the demo one I rode that had triple chainrings. Couple of things to be tweaked but that's part of a new ride. Missed the granny gear a bit but will stick with single ring as I'm sure it's only fitness letting me down there.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
Why did you choose the TALAS over the Float? Most of the other carbon Nomads I have seen are white frame/Float or black frame/TALAS.

Very nice looking bike too. I hope mine looks as good in the flesh (black/TALAS) when it arrives next week.

Mobywan

Likes Dirt
Why did you choose the TALAS over the Float? Most of the other carbon Nomads I have seen are white frame/Float or black frame/TALAS.
For the travel adjust... wasn't overly concerned about colour of the lowers. Personally think the black looks better anyway.

Mobywan

Likes Dirt
3 rides down and starting to get the feel of this new suspension. Having ridden FSR for the last 2.5 years I had some concerns but I can't say I'm noticing a huge difference. Or should I say it's fun to ride and it's not limiting me in any way. If anything the rider is the handicap. Although I've only ridden the local trails at Bunya so far and haven't really pushed it too hard. Found that the 160mm forks were a bit tall in the tighter switchbacks so dropped the front down to 120mm and wow, what a difference. On the last ride I was almost back to my old pace on the tight descents. Glad I went for the Talas. Wonder if I should have gone 180 though so I could have dropped it down to a friendlier 140mm. Hmmm. :D

Update - now with XTR trails.