Sooo - I want an E-Bike

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I'll have a serious look at an Ebike next year. Hopefully supply will start to settle down.
I'm mainly looking a one to be able to do longer rides or more riding in the same time constraint. I live right on the doorstep of the new Wild Mersey trails here in Tassie and by this time next year there will be around 90km of trails and I could easily do a 100km loop from my house, and I know a battery won't last that long but if I can get a 60/70km lap I'd be happy with that.

When I hear about people say that they are cheating, I reply, "well your gears are cheating" "Your modern lightweight bike is cheating" "a bike full stop is cheating" If you don't want to cheat, run naked through the virgin scrub, and only then you can claim, that you aren't cheating. ;)

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hopefully the restrictions lift and i can come to Tassie again - its been a tough year , No Tassie Trails Since Dec 2019 !

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
ive been thinking about one also ,

my routine for some time has been to ride Saturday and Sunday ,

im 58 and while still reasonably fit ,the last year or two just been finding I dont recover as well from the saturday ride , and go out on the sunday feeling like the tank is half empty before I start , I think if i was able to have a few days break between rides I would be fine but work doesnt allow that

an ebike for Sunday rides might be the perfect option

Last edited:

clockworked

Like an orange
I dont think ebikes are still exercise. I ride one to work everyday and i don't even sweat. My heartrate monitor says i get to zone 3 (120bpm or so) but it really doesn't seem like work.

I'd say you're sleeping too little, exercising too much and eating too much. I approached fitness the same way; eating less is really effective at improving everything else

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I dont think ebikes are still exercise. I ride one to work everyday and i don't even sweat. My heartrate monitor says i get to zone 3 (120bpm or so) but it really doesn't seem like work.

I'd say you're sleeping too little, exercising too much and eating too much. I approached fitness the same way; eating less is really effective at improving everything else

But I really enjoy food.

Minlak

custom titis
What is the point of having technology if you cant bend it to your will and make it do your bidding - I like to eat - Get an E-Bike that in itself is enough of a reason to embrace its assistive capacities.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What is the point of having technology if you cant bend it to your will and make it do your bidding - I like to eat - Get an E-Bike that in itself is enough of a reason to embrace its assistive capacities.
E-ride to the restaurant? That's crazy talk! We have virtual slaves already e-riding to and from the restaurants for us!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
My knees wanted me to get an e-bike after a longer than usual ride with 550m climbing in 31km on Saturday. I just went and rode some more the next day and that fixed it.

I like to bunny hop things so I'm pretty sure I'll just adjust what and where I ride instead of taking the e-bike route until parts of me are just too cooked to keep riding up hills on a normal bike. Maybe then I'll just get off and walk or take the bus.

I can totally understand getting several runs but was pretty surprised at the way I pulled away from my mate when things got over 25km/h down hills as his bike (Norco with Shimano drive) slowed him down once the motor reached its limit. Apparently newer ones don't do that, my commuter is a hub drive and it doesn't do that. Do the torque sensing mid drives cause some resistance above speed limit or was my mate just making excuses for being slower?

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can totally understand getting several runs but was pretty surprised at the way I pulled away from my mate when things got over 25km/h down hills as his bike (Norco with Shimano drive) slowed him down once the motor reached its limit. Apparently newer ones don't do that, my commuter is a hub drive and it doesn't do that. Do the torque sensing mid drives cause some resistance above speed limit or was my mate just making excuses for being slower?
Depends on the terrain, there is some drag in the system but it is usually a gentle gradient where you can easily maintain speed on a regular bike but the ebike you are still pedalling a very heavy bike. When there is more gravity I find it a non issue but certainly can be slower on a gentle slope.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are some hills near me on my little Gravel Route , that my E-bike will get to 40- 45 klmh just rolling .
Fatboy will go over 50klmh on a regular basis .
Got a new DT Swiss rear Wheel , speed returned ? ( Now must get a new Front one )
E-bikes are great for Exploring and going places you may have the internal conversation .. " hmm too far , too hilly "

They are not One answer - its not because E , Pedal power has been around for longer than motor cars , and they are going the E route , skateboards and scooters also , Why not Bikes ?

All things considered its because they are Fun

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm starting to feel sick reading this forum, 'oh my knees hurt' or 'I can't climb as fast anymore' or 'oh I'm too tired after my ride', mate riding a bike aren't that hard, in fact its pretty easy, you guys have just become soft, if you don't look after yourself, what happens? overweight, high bmi, poor diet, riding a bike is easy, if you want to ride it faster, its like life it requires commitment, 5-10 hours a week, and that looks after your physical and mental health otherwise guess what .... you aren't ever going to be happy, no geriatric bike device is going to make up for depression and feeling down on yourself.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I'm starting to feel sick reading this forum, 'oh my knees hurt' or 'I can't climb as fast anymore' or 'oh I'm too tired after my ride', mate riding a bike aren't that hard, in fact its pretty easy, you guys have just become soft, if you don't look after yourself, what happens? overweight, high bmi, poor diet, riding a bike is easy, if you want to ride it faster, its like life it requires commitment, 5-10 hours a week, and that looks after your physical and mental health otherwise guess what .... you aren't ever going to be happy, no geriatric bike device is going to make up for depression and feeling down on yourself.
I'm probably fitter than I have been in the last 20 years but I just want to be able to explore more and ride further in the same amount of time.
It's not like it's and armchair ride around the trails. Just like a normal bike you get out what what you put in.
Yes, you can ride around everywhere on boost without too much effort but you could just ride a normal bike at a steady pace on the flat and not get that much physical benefit either.
I thinks if it gets you out and having fun and enjoying life, all the better.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
did you not read the title..It is "i WANT an e bike", not I need an ebike!
If anybody wants to get something because they think it will make their time on this planet that little bit more enjoyable and fun, fill ya boots I say (unless it's a Jetski!)..this whole shame thing of guilting people away from e bikes because they should just get out and ride/lose weight/get over your mental fog needs to stop..If you don't want one, I suggest you don't buy one

Last edited: