Spanky in Japan III, this time with a bike

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Not even sure what day it is any more

Leaving the ski resort area of Kuruizawa there were SO MANY PORCHES, the pig was in porsche heaven... All of them,the top of the line shit, none of this hair dresser porsche crap round there... Lots and lots and lots of cars that were just f*ck off expensive.. The whole area is full of rich wankers (note: give pig money, he's willing to try being a rich wanker for a week or two)

The road was a nice down hill, with some long stretches of gently sloping roads!! After the day before, that was a great change for the pig.. Lots of standing up and just rolling along slowly.

A few K's into the ride coming up the hill was a Japanese man riding his touring bike round japan, we stopped and chatted, exchanged tips, and details then as we left, it looked like a convention for epileptics - there were waving arms going everywhere.... Weird, we both knew exactly how the other was feeling. :)

Having expected to only go 20 kilometers, and finding the downhill easy - we went on.... and on.... and on. Pig found a camp site marked on his map, so off he f*cking well went... only to find it did not exist! The staff at a local 7/11 conveinience store went out of there way to help the pig after he asked about the missing camp site.... Calls were made, maps produced, people turned up to the store to see the pig.... Seriously, even people shopping in the store were crowding around trying to help...

It was decided that the map was wrong, and the next campsite on the map was about 20km away, the whole time we were passing signs to where we wanted to go (Matsumoto)... so, off we went!!! The next camp site was reached, just as the owner came out and explained they are closed..... FWARK! However, another campsite was only two kilometers away... IKIMASHO!!!

We got there on dark, and the place was huge and empty!!!Cost 10 bucks, and it had everything.. really, everything!!! Ooooh Yeah, with a choice of camp sites, the pig (of course) chose one with a fire place and set up!! Camping with fire, we saw a Japanese Deer (well, we scared the shit out of it!) and a few beers.... and snooze-o-rama began.

We are finally in kind of the mountainous area, and the scenery has really changed. We are surrounded by snow covered mountains. This is

1) F*cking nice!
2) F*cking scary, there's no way around them from here.. and they are all so f*cking high...

So, tomorrow... its going to be a very slow one we think....

Last edited:

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
The morning started beautifully, the sunrise over the mountains was pretty spec, then it got better. A really good japanese friend who had been watching my progress on the intermawebs, drove out to meet us.. bringing FOOD! they also offered to take all our luggage to the other side of the mountain.... F*CKING SWEET!!!

So, up the hills without luggage was so nice, legs at this point are well and truely cooked, however without all the weight... wasn't too bad a day.

Rode up through the snow line (could not help stopping alot and playingin snow!) and saw some amazing scenery.

The mountain was not really all that high, and at the top,the pigs first Japanese road tunnel (apparently they are everywhere) = which was cold as hell. The light at the end of the runnel heralded a IN-FUCKING-SANE downhill descent!!! 8% for 5km, and then it got steeper.

Flat chat, chasing trucks and cars, the pig just went right off.... the road surface was a bit shite, and the wind bitterly cold... but f*CKING DOWN HILL!!!! made the most of it, you might say. All down down down (what is that Coles advert) and at the end there was an foot onsen on the side of the lake... it just kept getting better!!

Ate good food (curry Ebi tempura !!) then checked into a hostel that was just across the road (hey, not looking gift horse in mouth or something like that)....

Another amazingly good day....

Maybe yesterday, maybe today... the pig seems to have got into his groove. Even with bad arse chaffing, and feeling a bit weak... this is the shit. So enjoying this shit....

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I dont know how you are doing this big fella, with your(and mine) aversion to riding uphills, this is a big moment in time, how are you going with talking to people with tourettes and riding up hills, this must be using up all your super powers!

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Epic, especially the random booby comic. :very_drunk:
Man, that comic made the pig giggle like a little school girl, it was in an abandoned run down house that the pig was taking pictures of..... the pig has actually seen quite a bit of road side pr0n since riding from Tokyo. Occasionally there is a few pr0n mags on the side of the road... most usually open to a revealing page. More pig giggles ensue....

I dont know how you are doing this big fella, with your(and mine) aversion to riding uphills, this is a big moment in time, how are you going with talking to people with tourettes and riding up hills, this must be using up all your super powers!
BM man, this trip is a mad head rush. Some of these hills are f*ckers, and yes, the valleys have occasionally echoed with the sounds of pig swearing.... However, the pig has been given great advice (thanks DW-1) to just chill the fark out... so, if it gets too much, we just stop, take pictures, eat.... its not a race.

Some really f*cked up bikes... they were for hire in a park.. However, we could not find anyone around to hire them to us... so, we just had a quick play around

Corner this f*cker quickly?????

Dual Bunny Bike..... well, anyone got a better name futasu osagi jitensha?

Rear wheel stearing... bike?

Your fat tyre bike aint so fat tyred now is it???

The pig and his fat tyre bike... note: no more Manix hair

Lovin this trip.... The pig is currently staying with a Japanese family, eating... and drinking lots of beer....

Yeah, it does suck to be you....

S

Binaural

Eats Squid
Ahhhh, I love epic trip threads! After getting married last year I rode from Germany to Italy.... should post up some pics

BM Epic

Eats Squid
That looks more like the Scott i know, funnily enough i like the Mannix hair!..makes me laugh when i think about the hills, i still hate the bastards, love the downhill nights runs though, let us know when you come back, should get a mountains ride happening!

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
mmmmaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn you make me want to go touring again.

sage advice on just chilling the fuck out. ride easy, be light on the bike. If easy is all you can do, then easy is all you need. then, sometimes, you feel so smooth and fast and strong and generally like a god and you just keep going and going and going and realise that it is 10pm and you've ridden 300km and don't really want to stop.

sleeping in a tent after a big long day on the bike and waking up with the sun (and not getting out of the sleeping bag because the sleeping bag is a happy place) is the best feeling in the world.

Fly to Scotland, ride home is the next trip, methinks...

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
mmmmaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn you make me want to go touring again.

sage advice on just chilling the fuck out. ride easy, be light on the bike. If easy is all you can do, then easy is all you need. then, sometimes, you feel so smooth and fast and strong and generally like a god and you just keep going and going and going and realise that it is 10pm and you've ridden 300km and don't really want to stop.

sleeping in a tent after a big long day on the bike and waking up with the sun (and not getting out of the sleeping bag because the sleeping bag is a happy place) is the best feeling in the world.

Fly to Scotland, ride home is the next trip, methinks...
OMG OMG OMG OMG ... C Dunlop saw the pigs thread.. and replied.. You sir are a legend in the pigs mind!!!

Your sage advice is really appreciated and from what the pig can see (from his piss weak pathetic riding so far) you are correct... well, you are a mad inspiration for the pig.

We are currently resting up, and catching up with lots of friends and eating lots of good food (All Japanese food that has no nuts is awesome, nuts suck nuts)

Today is an adventure riding day, we are heading too to Azumino for a look see... and to stretch the legs... cannot believe the pig has only ridden 50k in the last two days....

Once again Sir C Dunlop... thanks for dropping by and advising the pig

S

tc2233

Likes Dirt
Spanky, im travelling up to Japan next weekend and probably will be bringing my bike up.

Im not sure if you have been catching any trains but just wondering, am i allowed to bring my bike on all the trains over there (including bullet train)?

I have read on the internet that you are meant to put your bike in a bike bag when on trains (I dont know about bullet train though), but do you think i could get away with pretending to be a dumb tourist who doesnt know Japanese?

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
Spanky, im travelling up to Japan next weekend and probably will be bringing my bike up.

Im not sure if you have been catching any trains but just wondering, am i allowed to bring my bike on all the trains over there (including bullet train)?

I have read on the internet that you are meant to put your bike in a bike bag when on trains (I dont know about bullet train though), but do you think i could get away with pretending to be a dumb tourist who doesnt know Japanese?
Most definitely not. All major stations are manned by JR or the equivalent train staff so you won't be let through. It's a bit of a hassle but following rules is an important part of Japanese culture and as a guest, you should respect that.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius

Most definitely not. All major stations are manned by JR or the equivalent train staff so you won't be let through. It's a bit of a hassle but following rules is an important part of Japanese culture and as a guest, you should respect that.
Rednightmare has is right, you'll not be allowed through the gates without a bagged bike... lots of crossed arms and stern "da-me da-me"... will ensue - playing bakka gaijin works to a point. Two more things with respect to trains (and mainly shinkensen) those f*ckers stop at stations for about 2 minutes max.... that's to allow people off and people on. First time pig saw it, was a bit concerned... but, trying wrangle a bike (bagged) onto a shikansen (through that narrow door) will drive you f*cking mad.. As a quick way to jump around japan, trains do rock. You can almost always hire a mamacharia bike around stations, some hostels have bike for hire. This is what the pig has done for the last two years, and has done miles on the hire bikes.

However, there are options.. Kuro Neko (black cat) transport will ship your shit to where your going for a reasonable price. Just bag it and send it ahead.... if your not going to too many places.

Another thing to keep in mind is Golden week is coming up, travelling during Golden week in japan is just farked! ALL OF JAPAN is on the move.... at the same time, in different directions. We've been caught twice before (this is the pigs japan travel time) and during Golden week there's

1) No accommodation outside of the cities, in the cities can be pretty scarce too.
2) You wont get anywhere in comfort at all.

Not sure where your aiming to go, but if you give the pig a bit of information, he might be able to dredge his piss poor memory in case he's been there and has some tips/advice (not been everywhere in Japan... yet)

Best advice we can give, if its your first time in Japan.. Grab a JRAIL pass before you go and just jump around Japan on JRAIL... its f*cking awesome!!!! Hire bkes at the other end, ride....

Just got back from a 50km ride around Matsumoto, Azumino area.... its really rural and the locals are just so friendly. Oh, and there's a really f*cked up video coming on. Pig found a super slippery slide...

S

tc2233

Likes Dirt
This will be my 2nd time to Japan. Dad is working there for a few months and his work will send me up to Japan to visit him whenever i want for free (as long as there is spare seats on the plane). So i think i will try to go to Japan every 2nd weekend.

I was planning to do a surprise visit on some Japanese exchange students that stayed over at my house a few years ago and i was thinking of rocking up at there house. They live at a city called Hitachiomiya which is a 3 hour train ride north of Tokyo or a 2.5 hour drive. My plan was to either catch the train there and then ride my bike to there house (4 km ride) or otherwise drive a car there (dad has got a free car there). But by the looks of things i might have to drive it.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
OK OK, sorry, we've been... well, eating food, drinking be occupied.

Currently in Matsumoto living with a Japanese family, riding most days, doing short exploritory rides around..

Yesterday was meat socks birthday, and well, we could not do our usual "get 1 year older, drink f*ck loads of beer" celebrations....

Why??

Today the pig had a f*cking job interview for a job in Japan!!! Yes, thats right.... cannot f*cking believe it . Oh, by the way... the offer of a job interview came out of left field in the usual pig manner... can't keep his f*cking gob shut.. ever. Of course we have no nice clothes (never thought a job would be offered) to do the interview in, but seemed to do pretty well.. and right at the moment, we're about to start drinking VB and fosters (that cost a bomb load.. but, no rent or food costs for the last 10 days!!!) with the previously mentioned Japanese family, and start a night into drunkeness...., .

So, just being f*cking lazy at the moment, and not really sure what going on (*Note: that is the pigs normal state anyway)....

There is a festival in Japan that the pig is actually part of ( kinda the token white guy, but actually part of the festival - we shit you not) which occurs on the 5th of May... and after that we were headed to Nigata... but..

More will be known this saturday when the people from todays job interview gets back to him..... as they want him to start ASAP...

FWARK

more news when we know it...

Sorry guys... pigs still doing this trip.. might be just a lot longer, and a f*ck load slower... and if we get this job, y'all are all invited to come visit, stay and use the surly LHT.....

S

p.s. sorry about the lack of updates... We promise to update with some more pics and stories later tomorrow.. now, BEER BEER BEER BED BED BED