Spectator access to Maydena EWS (Edited title as information clarified)

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Was a perfect day for it! Taking the bike and riding up to the viewing points was a top idea too. Missed out on a sausage though...

teK--

Eats Squid
Awesome for Maydena park to have replied to this thread.

My only disappointment about this event was the lack of live streaming coverage since it is no longer under Red Bull TV's umbrella. Watching video clips of highlights afterwards is not the same, though Jesse and Jack's raw footage was pretty sweet.

Haakon

My only disappointment about this event was the lack of live streaming coverage since it is no longer under Red Bull TV's umbrella. Watching video clips of highlights afterwards is not the same, though Jesse and Jack's raw footage was pretty sweet.
Lots of peeps about wearing media vests and sporting camera gear, so should be a bit of footage coming out soon.

nathanm

Eats Squid

Lots of peeps about wearing media vests and sporting camera gear, so should be a bit of footage coming out soon.
We walked up stage 3 and stood in some random spot in the trees and was accompanied by an official videographer. She confirmed they were trying to shoot at least the top 30/10 mens/womens on each stage and most of the field on Stage 1.
We missed seeing the spectator get cleaned up on that stage by a rider just lower down and it was no surprise as it was absolute chaos on this and many stages with too few marshalls and spectators everywhere all over the course. I believe the spectating shuttles were sold out early in the morning forcing spectators to walk/ride up the stages themselves to get up into the park to watch the Natty etc. as there was no other way to get up the hill other than via the course itself. IMO there was a real lack of spectator information other than encouraging people to pay for the Hecklefest which was sold out well in advance.
We did see the first aid/marshall/staff buggy cross the track before the finish line jumps just as an U-21 mens rider came down.. Absolute brown trouser moment for everyone involved as he missed hitting it my mere metres.
Was an absolute spectacle and easily the best MTB event I've ever been to in terms of atmosphere, spectating and course. Riders were getting pretty cranky by the end of it though with spectator behaviour and we got gobbed off by a top 5 elite female for walking in her way down into the pits at the end of stage 5. Bound to happen when the track into the pits was the same pathway spectators were utilising to get up and down the hill.

Last edited:

Haakon

Whats with all the noise...? Would be way better if it was like golf and everyone stfu as they did their thing. Had some moron fire up a bloody chainsaw in my ear...

We found one spot for Stage 4 away from crowds and being able to hear was way better. Cool to hear the different rider styles as well as see!

Haakon

We walked up stage 3 and stood in some random spot in the trees and was accompanied by an official videographer. She confirmed they were trying to shoot at least the top 30/10 mens/womens on each stage and most of the field on Stage 1.
We missed seeing the spectator get cleaned up on that stage by a rider just lower down and it was no surprise as it was absolute chaos on this and many stages with too few marshalls and spectators everywhere all over the course. I believe the spectating shuttles were sold out early in the morning forcing spectators to walk/ride up the stages themselves to get up into the park to watch the Natty etc. as there was no other way to get up the hill other than via the course itself. IMO there was a real lack of spectator information other than encouraging people to pay for the Hecklefest which was sold out well in advance.
We did see the first aid/marshall/staff buggy cross the track before the finish line jumps just as an U-21 mens rider came down.. Absolute brown trouser moment for everyone involved as he missed hitting it my mere metres.
Was an absolute spectacle and easily the best MTB event I've ever been to in terms of atmosphere, spectating and course. Riders were getting pretty cranky by the end of it though with spectator behaviour and we got gobbed off by a top 5 elite female for walking in her way down into the pits at the end of stage 5. Bound to happen when the track into the pits was the same pathway spectators were utilising to get up and down the hill.
There was walking access up that didnt involve the downhill parts of the course, but you were sharing trails with riders on the climbing sections of their ride. There was certainly a bit of trying to clear the crowds to let them through.

Haakon

Was pretty wild seeing that many high end mountain bikes all parked up together! I felt a bit nervous leaving the Orange parked unattended and unlocked, but figured if someone was dumb enough to try to ride off with someone's bike there were a lot of better targets around!

Haakon

Not a fan of this approach... Bit like Derby where I got a super rude dressing down by Vertigo for having the temerity to organise my own transport...

Can I ride my bike to the top?
We offer a climbing trail to the midline of our trail network, providing access to 38 trails and a vertical descent of around 400m. Climbing beyond this point is not available. There is strictly no climbing or walking access on our shuttle road.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Not a fan of this approach... Bit like Derby where I got a super rude dressing down by Vertigo for having the temerity to organise my own transport...
Its actually nothing like Derby... Maydena is a privately owned park and they make the rules.. I've done a few self-shuttles at Derby and had zero issues, just always made sure to not obstruct their turn around spot or block the road...

We actually advertised a spectator trail map on our socials, placed it on our web site, and had QR codes up around the venue. We also had staff across the course managing the crowd, even though it wasn’t our responsibility. This is more than anyone has ever done at an EWS according to pro riders and the event team.

We were not responsible for course marshalling, so no comment there.

Every pro rider we spoke to (literally dozens of them) and their team manager said that this was the best crowd they’ve ever experienced at an enduro event. They love the noise and chaos.

You have an astounding ability to always try and pick holes in everything we do, Nathan. You came out, spectated for free, and seemingly had a pretty good time. It would be nice if you could just leave it at that.

If our venue bothers you so much it’s about time probably time you consider riding somewhere else…

We don’t have a climbing trail to our summit- we provide climbing access to over 400m of vertical elevation, for free.

We are a private park, who pays for all trail planning, construction and management ourselves. We also provide a professional bike patrol (free if you’re climbing).

We are cool with you not liking our approach. that’s the great thing about mountain biking, you have lots of choices whee you want to ride these days.

Can I ride my bike to the top?
We offer a climbing trail to the midline of our trail network, providing access to 38 trails and a vertical descent of around 400m. Climbing beyond this point is not available. There is strictly no climbing or walking access on our shuttle road.

Haakon

Its actually nothing like Derby... Maydena is a privately owned park and they make the rules.. I've done a few self-shuttles at Derby and had zero issues, just always made sure to not obstruct their turn around spot or block the road...
Yeah I get that. But I cant see there would be many people wanting to climb to the top so it feels a bit money grabby to exclude it...

Bit like the trail builder's obvious obsession with incessant switch backs on the climbing trail that feels deliberate to discourage climbing,

We built our current climb on a gentle gradient deliberately to cater for all abilities. This means it has to have switchbacks to fit into our property boundaries.

We’ve got a new, more direct climb being built as we speak on a new piece of land.

There is only so much we can do as a small family business. Spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a climbing trail to our summit isn’t something we can afford to do right now, particularly when we offer trail riding for free.

If you can name another business that has invested millions of dollars building MTB infrastructure that then offers it for free we’d be surprised! Ultimately, we do this for the love of the sport. If you’re not into our trails we are totally cool with that!

Again, no one is forcing you to ride our climb/park if you don’t like it! It’s a bit like hating on KFC because you want them to sell cheeseburgers.

Yeah I get that. But I cant see there would be many people wanting to climb to the top so it feels a bit money grabby to exclude it...

Bit like the trail builder's obvious obsession with incessant switch backs on the climbing trail that feels deliberate to discourage climbing,