Speeding champ drunk in crash: court

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally I think that this is a miscarriage of justice - 2 1/2 years after the event, it finally makes it to court.

Innocent until proven guilty etc, but the crash victim (also a pro level cyclist prior to the accident) has had to watch the accused continue growing his career in the meantime.

Similarly the accused has been dragged through the dirt in losing his Olympic place, and probably the chance to compete again.

I hope it now gets wrapped up sooner rather than later, and everyone gets the closure they need.

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Sounds like it was a fun holiday beforehand: "Two women who had been sharing the holiday with Jongewaard ..." whoops I took that out of context.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Could be very wrong here, but I think the accident happened on the victim's birthday weekend? Possibly even his 21st?

Happy birthday bro...

akashra

Eats Squid
It's thoroughly BS that he didn't represent Australia at the Olympics - as said, innocent until proven guilty.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
It's thoroughly BS that he didn't represent Australia at the Olympics - as said, innocent until proven guilty.
I know this is an emotive subject, but its not about being innocent or guilty, its about bringing the sport into disrepute.
Unfortunately, you cant be in anyway involved things like this and expect your Olympic Association to support your selection.
Its the Olympics - its bigger than MTBA in this example.

I certainly hope everyone is able to gain closure, and it gets dealt with. London isnt a long way off, and at the moment, Chris would be as close to a 'cert' as you can get.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally I think they made the right decision. The standard had been set with the swimmer (whatever his name was - Nick Stevens?) and I certainly would have thought a whole lot less of the selection process if Jongewaard had still been allowed to compete.

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
Personally I think that this is a miscarriage of justice - 2 1/2 years after the event, it finally makes it to court.
My understanding from previous articles about this over the years is that MOST of the delaying was due to Jongerward himself. To do with his Olympic appeal etc etc. The original delay was to my mind to use the "I am innocent until proven guilty defence", so let me race the Olympics because I don't want to chance my arm with probably being found guilty in a Court of law.

I had a rant about this some time ago, so I will leave it there. The whole thing reeks...

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Thank goodness this thing is finally in court. Like him or not, Chris is an awesome rider and I think he deserves to "day in court", I trust the system will find the correct outcome.

Beechie

Banned
Accident

Not about Chris, drink driving, speeding, leaving an accident scene - with a cyclist injured ANYONE, IF GUILTY, of these actions has at the time displayed despicable behaviour. Off hand I can think of three cyclists I personally knew who were killed by car drivers.
Chris is very lucky to only be facing the charges that he is.

Last edited:

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like a pretty half-arsed attempt to run someone over to me.
Someone had to say it...!

OK, champ MTBer or not, he deserves his punishment.
Think about the guy he permanently injured, nearly killed.
If he wasn't a champ MTBer, you'd all be calling for his head on a stake.

akashra

Eats Squid
OK, champ MTBer or not, he deserves his punishment.
Think about the guy he permanently injured, nearly killed.
If he wasn't a champ MTBer, you'd all be calling for his head on a stake.
I'm not saying he doesn't. But what he does off the track and his record while racing are two different things, and the two have nothing to do with each other. Him breaking the law (or not) doesn't make his competition any quicker in a completely unrelated issue, and on the track, on the day, he still won the title(s). To suggest he be stripped of those is just silly, and would make a mockery of whoever earns them as a result of it being passed down. "Congratulations, you came second. But we'll call you the winner anyway".

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not saying he doesn't. But what he does off the track and his record while racing are two different things, and the two have nothing to do with each other. Him breaking the law (or not) doesn't make his competition any quicker in a completely unrelated issue, and on the track, on the day, he still won the title(s). To suggest he be stripped of those is just silly, and would make a mockery of whoever earns them as a result of it being passed down. "Congratulations, you came second. But we'll call you the winner anyway".
There's a clause in pretty much all sports about bringing the sport into disrepute.
Sure, he won his titles legitimately, and shouldn't lose them, but you can't say it's unrelated.
I think that's the consideration here.

Last edited:

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Personally I think they made the right decision. The standard had been set with the swimmer (whatever his name was - Nick Stevens?) and I certainly would have thought a whole lot less of the selection process if Jongewaard had still been allowed to compete.
You're thinking of Nick D'Arcy. The irony is that D'Arcy's actions were intentional and caused less damage while I'm guessing that Jongewaard was just skylarking and it went horribly wrong. Matthew Rex's career would be over I'd imagine with a missing buttock. However it ends it will be an acute moment of regret in all their lives.

goldman

Squid
I'm not sure I agree on the skylarking. In both cases seriously bad judgements were made under the effects of alcohol. The problem with Jongewaard's situation is that he was driving a car...

I agree that is sad that two careers were wrecked with one action. It simply reinforces what we all know about how vulnerable we all are when we are on bikes and there are cars around...

emty

Likes Dirt
Skylarking and driving a car while 3 times the legal limit are not in the same ballpark. His actions intentional or not could have killed people. It doesn't matter if he is the queen or a vagebond, he has to accept the consiquence of his actions, that is life.