Spesh or Giant??????????????????

Az

Likes Dirt
pretty sure you cant fit a front derailer to the comp, If you need some thing to pedal up aswell maybe look at the new ac1 same price as the comp ( roughly).

udi

swiss cheese
Turley covered it, but to sum it up - if your primarily racing DH, get the comp. If your doing more beating, hucking, whatever - the expert would be a better choice.

Also, hate to diss the new SPV forks, but your going to get WAY longer service intervals on the marzocchi. The marz has stronger internals, better seals, and won't need servicing for ages. They also feel pretty darn good when setup right. On the other side of the coin, SPV is superior damping technology, and is likely going to feel better. And if you don't mind rebuilding the fork once in a while, and taking care of it - it should work great anyway.

The bighit has a much stronger frame, and a better design too. But it serves a different purpose. A bighit can be raced fine, but I think a DH comp's gonna feel a whole lot better on the track - it's made for it.

If you don't weigh much, then the giant is probably your best bet regardless. Short and sweet, the giant has better gear on it than the speshy for the buck.

oh, and please don't pay $4500 for those bikes. Someone here is picking up a BH expert for 3800, and i'm pretty sure the giant could be had at near that too. Shop around and bargain.

Good luck and have fun with whichever you get :)

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
funny u ask that question Scully, i'm in the EXACT same boat as u!!!
the giant dh comp has much better components, i mean they have all easton parts pretty much and a 6 way and sliders whilst the big hit has jr t's and a 4 way.
sure u can say darren does 360 drops on the big hit, but the giant frame is race proven. don't some people ride the freeride comp with the giant dh?

anywho i came to the conclusion that i'll get whatever is around, i'll be buying around feb-march and one of those two will be sold out, so i'll take the one thats not :lol:

good luck, post up a review of whatever u buy we'd be interested in a read

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Scully said:
the only thing id wanna know is can the front chainring on the giant be changed to sumthin with 2 rings, cause my local track is up a long hill and i dont have much means of transport yet, so id be riding to most places. also i was possibly considering waiting until the end of the year to get a new bike in the sales, as long as they dont sell out before then.

pretty sure you cant fit front deraillure on the Comp
mainly because of the funky chainline

Scully

Likes Dirt
yeah funny u say that cause my friend mykol on here got a spesh big hit pro 03 for under 3500, what a deal! it was new as well

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Turly, have a read of SBC's warranty here.

5. Limited Warranty. Subject to the following limitations, terms, and conditions, Specialized warrants to the original purchaser of each Product, except helmets, purchased over this site that such when new are free of defects in materials and workmanship. This warranty may be exercised for a period of up to one year from the date of purchase. This limited warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear, nor to claimed defects, malfunctions or failures that result from abuse, neglect, improper assembly, improper maintenance, alteration, collision, crash, or misuse. Consult your helmet owner's manual for your helmet warranty.

EXCEPT FOR THOSE WARRANTIES LISTED IN PARAGRAPH FOUR AND THIS PARAGRAPH FIVE, SPECIALIZED DISCLAIMS ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. SPECIALIZED'S RESPONSIBILITY FOR WARRANTY CLAIMS IS LIMITED TO, AT SPECIALZED'S OPTION, REIMBURSEMENT OF THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE PRICE, OR REPLACEMENT OF THE PRODUCT WITH THE SAME OR SIMILAR PRODUCT. AMONG OTHER THINGS, CUSTOMER AGREES THAT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL SPECIALIZED BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.

In order to exercise rights under this warranty, customer must return the affected product to Specialized with proof of purchase (original invoice or credit card statement) at:

Specialized Bicycle Components
The S Store Returns
1137 South 3800 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84104

Under no circumstances does this limited warranty include the cost of shipment. Such charges, if any, shall be borne by the original customer. Specialized reserves the right to modify these warranties at any time, in its sole discretion.