Squeezing boost onto non boost frame

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
What are the chances you can file down the caps to suit?

The difference between a 135x12 and a 142x12 is minimal, I've managed to file down a set of hope caps before instead of buying new ones.
I got the idea from a poorly executed solution on a wheelset I got cheaply. If it works on 142-135 then you might have some luck with 148-142 provided the rotor and cassette still line up close enough...

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
I have seen some of your handywork before, I no longer own that frame!

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive done this before in a 2016 reign (pre boost), fitted a boost hub. It measured about 144mm, it would compress to 142 with a normal hub, but i just flexed it to fix the 148.

Boost hubs and non boost hubs have the same endcap to brake mount (and endcap to freehub) measurement. You're brake and cassette should be exactly the same as non boost.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I have seen some of your handywork before, I no longer own that frame!
If you're talking about that wheel, that's the one that gave me the idea, some random Facebook buy. Your/my/canarys/your frame was just matching the frame I had to the wheel I had

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Ive done this before in a 2016 reign (pre boost), fitted a boost hub. It measured about 144mm, it would compress to 142 with a normal hub, but i just flexed it to fix the 148.

Boost hubs and non boost hubs have the same endcap to brake mount (and endcap to freehub) measurement. You're brake and cassette should be exactly the same as non boost.
Fair enough. Not knowing how boost works I thought it was worth asking.

Does work fine in 142-135 but the extra 7mm is in the indentations in the frame for the hub so cutting it back isn't an issue. The 135x12 setup doesn't have a cutout so the wheel just floats around till you stick an axle through.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
What are the chances you can file down the caps to suit?
Don't even think about it! The extra 6mm of a boost hub is added in the centre (see the pic in the third post), not on the ends, so if you try to correct by shaving down the ends, you"ll fuck up the brake & cassette alignment & clearance.

Most frames are sprung slightly wider than their designed axle width to help getting the wheel in, so you're not really stretching it the full 6mm anyway.

Minlak

custom titis
So wait - I have a 148 boost hub on Torrent - my new frame will be 142+ - so your saying I can run the boost hub in the frame no problems?

Minlak

custom titis
WTF is 142+???
What really? Something you don't know? My whole world is crashing down.

For a brief period between 142 and 148 Specialized and Roval decided 142+ was a thing - If you had a 142+ frame you could use 142 but you were not supposed to use 142+ in a 142 frame.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Fucking Specialized.....!

Based on that diagram, and frame spacing tolerance considered, yes it could be possible. Normal 142 and 148 are roughly the same from flanges outward, with some minor variation between brands. 142+ shunts the cassette outward, which affects frame clearance, hence the limited compatibility.

iconic

Likes Dirt
I've got a rear 142+ specialized hub if anyone is keen. Supposedly has dt swiss ratchet internals but dunno how to check!

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis
I've got a rear 142+ specialized hub if anyone is keen. Supposedly has dt swiss ratchet internals but dunno how to check!

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk
It will be DT swiss internals and they are really good hubs - But I want microspline for mine so getting a hope 142 and going to use that.

moorey

call me Mia
Fucking Specialized.....!

Based on that diagram, and frame spacing tolerance considered, yes it could be possible. Normal 142 and 148 are roughly the same from flanges outward, with some minor variation between brands. 142+ shunts the cassette outward, which affects frame clearance, hence the limited compatibility.
I had one of these wheelset once....came with a bundle of stuff. I had to run an additional 2mm washer on the DS to give clearance for cassette. Quickly sold them to some sap on here.