SRAM Guide RS Brakes - Lever slow to return

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I was in the same boat. RSCs that we're 2.5 years old. I was in the LBS about something else and they brought up the issue and gave me two brand new levers.

I'd try your LBS or SRAM directly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How do I contact Sram directly?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Terrific result, LBS are going to replace the lever for me, swap them over and do a bleed! Only catch is at the moment is that they want the serial number of the calliper, which I can't find. Where is the serial number located?

betadine

Likes Bikes
Terrific result, LBS are going to replace the lever for me, swap them over and do a bleed! Only catch is at the moment is that they want the serial number of the calliper, which I can't find. Where is the serial number located?
Perfect. Might be worth asking if they can do both levers. I ended up with both replaced even though only one had an issue. I didn't even ask. LBS said it was a known issue, no issue with SRAM and better to be safe than sorry later.

Just like you have said, they did take down the serial numbers of each caliper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sundy

Likes Dirt
I've got the sticky lever problem too.
Threw my bike in the car to go for a ride on Wednesday night (34 degrees), lever was fine when I left home. By the time I drove 10 minutes to the trail (bike inside the hot car), the lever was barely moving at all. Grabbed a block of ice out of my water bottle and held it/rubbed it against the lever, and the lever freed up completely after about 20 seconds. Seized up again 10 minutes into my ride.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm guessing I'm shit out of luck with SRAM Australia if my brakes where bought overseas (chainreaction)?

They're nearly 2 years old anyway so probably out of warranty. Best bet I'm assuming it's to buy a couple of service kits and rebuild them myself. It's a shame this has happened to them, they had been my favourite brakes until I put Hopes on my main bike. Still got 8 year old squeaky avids on an old clunker still beating about without issue. Ah well, it is what it is I guess.

FLOYD1

Likes Dirt
I went to my LBS, I took of both brakes, 3 days later had a new pair of Guides (with the S4 ultimate caliper)in a box. straight swap

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I went to my LBS, I took of both brakes, 3 days later had a new pair of Guides (with the S4 ultimate caliper)in a box. straight swap
You got calipers as well as levers? So lucky, I'd love a set of ultimate calipers with the better heat shedding!

Demo Eight

Likes Bikes
I have just dropped mine in and all I had to do was supply my receipt from Wiggle, but I will be charged for freight and a service fee. $150 from Perth, its shit, but better than buying another set of brakes. Mine are 18 months old.

I'm guessing I'm shit out of luck with SRAM Australia if my brakes where bought overseas (chainreaction)?

They're nearly 2 years old anyway so probably out of warranty. Best bet I'm assuming it's to buy a couple of service kits and rebuild them myself. It's a shame this has happened to them, they had been my favourite brakes until I put Hopes on my main bike. Still got 8 year old squeaky avids on an old clunker still beating about without issue. Ah well, it is what it is I guess.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have just dropped mine in and all I had to do was supply my receipt from Wiggle, but I will be charged for freight and a service fee. $150 from Perth, its shit, but better than buying another set of brakes. Mine are 18 months old.
Sounds fairly reasonable. I've since ordered a pair of service kits off eBay for $35 each. When they show up it should be a pretty basic job to replace the pistons/seals. Nearly decided just to chuck them up on here for cheap and buy a second set of Hopes lol.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds fairly reasonable. I've since ordered a pair of service kits off eBay for $35 each. When they show up it should be a pretty basic job to replace the pistons/seals. Nearly decided just to chuck them up on here for cheap and buy a second set of Hopes lol.
I was going to do this but wanted to know for sure I'd get the right kit....

stickso

Likes Dirt
I replaced the piston & seals in my Guide R levers which wasn't difficult, but the R levers are less fiddly than RS/RSC. You'll need some long thin internal snap-ring pliers and the torx bits noted in the service manual.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Just picked up my bike from LBS and they replaced my RSC levers with Rs and charged me $80 to bleed them. Not happy. When is it OK to replace a top model with two models below and think that that's acceptable. If they'd called me and told me that I wasn't getting RSCs I would have told them to forget it and purchased a lever rebuild kit and still had change left over from the $80 they charged me for the bleed. F%^k.

They told me that Sram is replacing all levers with Rs, but I think that's complete bullshit. Can anyone else who had RSCs replaced confirm that you actually got RSCs back?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I was going to do this but wanted to know for sure I'd get the right kit....
I bought kits off eBay and they had a late 2016 manufacture date on them. Let me know if you want a link and I'll try and find the seller.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Just picked up my bike from LBS and they replaced my RSC levers with Rs and charged me $80 to bleed them. Not happy. When is it OK to replace a top model with two models below and think that that's acceptable. If they'd called me and told me that I wasn't getting RSCs I would have told them to forget it and purchased a lever rebuild kit and still had change left over from the $80 they charged me for the bleed. F%^k.

They told me that Sram is replacing all levers with Rs, but I think that's complete bullshit. Can anyone else who had RSCs replaced confirm that you actually got RSCs back?
That's just BS! I would have refused payment and insisted on the right levers.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
That's just BS! I would have refused payment and insisted on the right levers.
Problem is I need the bike this weekend. I've insisted they get the correct levers from Sram and have told them that if and when that happens there's no way I'm paying for another bleed.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I replaced the piston & seals in my Guide R levers which wasn't difficult, but the R levers are less fiddly than RS/RSC. You'll need some long thin internal snap-ring pliers and the torx bits noted in the service manual.
Yeah no issues with the tools, one of the benefits of fixing machinery all day!

I'll have a look through the service manual before I do the job though, just to make sure there's no surprises in store for me lol.

Seems suspicious that after 2 years of flawless operation that pretty much straight after I swapped them off my main bike onto my secondary bike they starting playing up. I blame jealousy haha.