SRAM XO trail brakes dragging.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Try Formula... Did someone say light switch?!?! The engineering department at Formula clearly stopped learning the alphabet at "l" ..... "Modulation? What's that weirdo concept"
I run Formula RO's and they are brilliant!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The rear is the problem child. But even the front could be classed as noisey but it free spins ok.

Good point about the bleeding. I usually leave the old pads in or use the blocks supplied in the avid kit.

I've only ever had trouble with AVID pistons not travelling equal amounts on rear calipers. The lazy piston, is it on the side the hose connects to the caliper, or the other side?

i think under light pressure (i.e rears), the piston's with a higher bore friction get stuck, full of junk and seize. I had a juicy 7 I couldn't get the piston out at all years ago.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Hate is a very strong emotion. Should be reserved for Avid's.
I loved the feel of my avid CRs, but the regular bleeding got to be a pain, combined with the price XTs were going for I jumped ship. Still ran HS1 rotors as the shimanos were poo.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Try Formula... Did someone say light switch?!?! The engineering department at Formula clearly stopped learning the alphabet at "l" ..... "Modulation? What's that weirdo concept"
Get with the times man!! We live in a digital world now, on or off ;)

None of this analogue/modulation crap....

will2

Likes Dirt
I loved the feel of my avid CRs, but the regular bleeding got to be a pain, combined with the price XTs were going for I jumped ship. Still ran HS1 rotors as the shimanos were poo.
Each to their own I suppose, I have Deore on Deore rotor and they are mint. Hassle free and feeling good for 15months

link1896

Mr Greenfield
But riding time is.

Oh yeah, it's super precious. Possibly rotors were too small or hard pads? I'm using 200mm rotors and organic pads, 1 finger braking, no fade with dot 5.1, no overheating, haven't had to bleed in 2000km. Same results with juicy 7 and elixirs. Did have overheating issues with metallic pads. Sent a rotor purple and cooked fluid from one big brake event trying to slow for a hairpin from 60km/h

Pistons getting stuck is my gripe with avid.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Oh yeah, it's super precious. Possibly rotors were too small or hard pads? I'm using 200mm rotors and organic pads, 1 finger braking, no fade with dot 5.1, no overheating, haven't had to bleed in 2000km. Same results with juicy 7 and elixirs. Did have overheating issues with metallic pads. Sent a rotor purple and cooked fluid from one big brake event trying to slow for a hairpin from 60km/h

Pistons getting stuck is my gripe with avid.
Think you've got off my point, I loved the performance of the CRs, just the upkeep was a pain.

Love the hopes for the similar feel and performance, and the set and forget maintenance of the shimanos.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
OK, so I gave the bike a bit of love over summer and one of the things I did was replace the pads, they were getting low, so why not.

I also bled the brakes and replaced the rotor.

I always seem to remember the bike making an annoying howl if you just slightly oscillated the wheel forward and back. I just assumed the disc was probably warped and/or the old pads were contaminated and buggered.

Two short rides in and the howl is back and if I spin the wheel. 3 revolutions tops, and it stalls... That's a dragging brake. It's so frustrating as my old Elixir Cr had a contact adjust knob. These don't. That would sort the problem in 2 seconds.

Any advice would be appreciated... Duckmiester, any ideas?
I heard my name called....

Ye olde sticky piston..... many brakes encounter it at some point.... Remove the pads & squeeze the lever to push the pistons out a bit (but don't pop them right out); you'll likely notice one side pushes more than the other. Clean the sides of the pistons & lubricate with a bit of brake fluid (for users of other brakes, use whatever fluid is used in the system) then push the pistons back in. Brace against the piston/s that do move easily with a spanner or something & squeeze the lever again to push the other side out. Repeat the clean & lube step. Push pistons back in again, and this time without pushing against the pistons, squeeze the lever to see if they extend equally - they should be getting better.

Scuff the pads up on a bit of sandpaper & leave the dust on the surface (especially with new rotors). Bung the wheel back in, give it a spin then grab the brake to get that pad dust into the rotor surface, then go & do your bedding in runs.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Once again... The duckmeister comes through.

Sticky piston sorted. Wheel free spins as much with caliper on as it does off now.

Cheers mate.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Paging Duckmeister

To semi hijack , I just put XO `s on the bike and the front lever is hard . Its at the point of one slight pull on the lever and it locks up . Is a bleed required here so that I have lever stroke ? Rear is perfect .

link1896

Mr Greenfield
To semi hijack , I just put XO `s on the bike and the front lever is hard . Its at the point of one slight pull on the lever and it locks up . Is a bleed required here so that I have lever stroke ? Rear is perfect .

So pads are real close to rotor and lever barely moves before pads are fully engaged? If so, remove some fluid, over full.

new brakes or second hand?

MarioM

Likes Dirt
So pads are real close to rotor and lever barely moves before pads are fully engaged? If so, remove some fluid, over full.

new brakes or second hand?
New , taken straight off a new bike before it even left the shop . Yep pads are close to rotor but funnily enough no drag .

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Remove pads, open bleed nipple, push pistons back in to vent fluid, close nipple, clean mess, replace pads, fit wheel, pump brake to reset clearance.