Sram XX - Cassette & Chain Compatability Question

korgi

Squid
Hi Everyone

I'm getting close to finishing my new bike build.
I have xtr m980 pedals and Hope x2 brakes on the way.

I just need a cassette and chain. I have a full XX drivetrain so far. The XX cassette seems to be priced ridiculously for a disposable item. I was waiting for the XO cassette but they seem to be unavailable and aren't that much cheaper.

Could I use a Shimano 10 speed cassette (say, XTR)? Is it the same spacing?

Would I need to use the new Shimano xtr chain?

Thanks

It's getting hard now that I'm so close. But looking outside at the Melbourne weather makes the pain go away somewhat.

Here's the build so far

And here is the Vintage, but still used and reliable, MTB it joins:

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, you cant.
Sram / Shimano 10speed MTB Gear is not compatiable with each other.
The Sram gear uses a their standard road spacing.
Shimano continues to use a standard 9 speed spacing, with an extra cog added to the wheel side.

The XX Cassette is heavily priced but...
It wears better and will laster longer then an X.0 Cassette
It shifts a lot smoother and much quieter.

Hope it helps.

korgi

Squid
No, you cant.
Sram / Shimano 10speed MTB Gear is not compatiable with each other.
The Sram gear uses a their standard road spacing.
Shimano continues to use a standard 9 speed spacing, with an extra cog added to the wheel side.

Hope it helps.
Thanks for the reply. I just visited the Cannondale site as I was quite sure that I saw a bike at BSC Bikes with Sram XO 10 speed and an Shimano XT cassette, and I found this:

http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/eng/P...dtail/Flash/Details/2728-1FS2S-FLASH-Hi-MOD-2

So it appears that Cannondale mixes a 10 spd Shimano XT cassette with a full 10spd Sram XO drivetrain (bar the chain).

So now I am even more confused. :confused:

As for price differentials if I buy on line:

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?pgc=62:3918;content=7;navigation=1;menu=1000,2,82;mid=0

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I have a specialized stumpy evo with xo rear der. shimano xt cassette and a kmc chain, hope that helps!..p.s...its all 10 speed!

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is infact very bizzare,
I've heard from the mouths of both the Sram Tech Guru & the Shimano Tech Guru they don't work with each other?

korgi

Squid
That is infact very bizzare,
I've heard from the mouths of both the Sram Tech Guru & the Shimano Tech Guru they don't work with each other?
Maybe both have a vested interest in saying that!:)

They both designed systems that were meant to work with components of a certain spec and everything else might not be as optimal in their eyes. And there is the issue of competitors and lost sales!

From a google search for the last hour, it appears that quite a few bike companies mix the 10 speed cassettes (e.g. XT and SLX cassettes with Sram drivetrains), as well as people posting the same. Probably for cost reasons and also that XO cassettes were delayed in production.

The shifters and derailleurs are definitely not compatible between Shimano and Sram 10 speed.

Chains I'm not quite sure - but the KMS chain would appear to work.

Looks like I will buy a XT cassette and KMC chain and give that a go - if that doesn't work someone here can pick up a cheap and hardly used casseette;). I plan on building a lighter bling wheelset and might get a XX cassette for that. With the wet weather and mud we're having in Victoria I don't want to replace a Sram XX cassette after a several muddy rides.

Cheers and thanks for your posts.

Last edited:

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay,
So I did a little more researching for you, made some calls and I have an answer...

Although it is not recommended that a Shimano 10speed Cassette gets paried with a complete Sram 10speed drive chain, it is possible as long as the following is abided by.

The Cassette will work fine, however only so if you run the matching Shimano HG-X 10speed chain. This is the most integral part, so long as you pair the Shimano Chain & Shimano Cassette together, you will be fine.
The Dyna-Sys chain has a slightly different construct to it, it retains almost a 9speed 'inner' sizing however the outside is slightly narrower, to accomidate for the larger gear range.

Having said the above, from what I gathered from my sources ;) the Shimano 10speed Cassettes on the Sram drive chains can produce unnecessary noise and be much more high maintainance and require more tuning, because the shifter wasn't designed specifically for that cassette.

Having thought about your options, I think your best bet is to either go the X.0 Cassette or even the X.9 Cassette if your a little strapped for cash. You can always upgrade to XX when it wears out?

Hope that clears it up.
Josh

korgi

Squid
Okay,
So I did a little more researching for you, made some calls and I have an answer...

Although it is not recommended that a Shimano 10speed Cassette gets paried with a complete Sram 10speed drive chain, it is possible as long as the following is abided by.

The Cassette will work fine, however only so if you run the matching Shimano HG-X 10speed chain. This is the most integral part, so long as you pair the Shimano Chain & Shimano Cassette together, you will be fine.
The Dyna-Sys chain has a slightly different construct to it, it retains almost a 9speed 'inner' sizing however the outside is slightly narrower, to accomidate for the larger gear range.

Having said the above, from what I gathered from my sources ;) the Shimano 10speed Cassettes on the Sram drive chains can produce unnecessary noise and be much more high maintainance and require more tuning, because the shifter wasn't designed specifically for that cassette.

Having thought about your options, I think your best bet is to either go the X.0 Cassette or even the X.9 Cassette if your a little strapped for cash. You can always upgrade to XX when it wears out?

Hope that clears it up.
Josh
Thanks - looks like we were typing at the same time.

And I thought I had made my mind up! Cool will think about the XO cassette.

Problem with the X9 is that it doesn't seem to come in the 11-36 that I want whereas the XT, XTR and XO do.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what I understand, an X9 12-36t is on the way, no idea on an ETA so it probably isn't too much help to you!

Landon

Likes Dirt
XX Cassette

Congrats on the sweet ride!

I've run an XX Cassette for almost a year now. It's a super light cassette and it does shift slightly better than other offerings. The low weight is really the only thing going for the XX cassette. It doesn't shift that much better than cheaper SRAM cassettes. Due to the X-Dome design, you have to grease the contact point of the 11t cog and the one piece 8 tooth block. The lock ring must be tightened past 40NM to stop the thing creaking when riding anywhere from the middle of the cassette down. This part of the cassette relies on the 11t cog for support and there can be a very small amount of movement if things aren't crazy tight. The fact that this problem can be easily solved with only a very minimal weight gain frustrates me. I'd wait for a revised version of the cassette before shelling out that much coin.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Okay,

Hope that clears it up.
Josh
The KMC chain is the other one that can be run, also it has the power link the same as sram!
I have xo drivetrain except for xt cassette which i will change later for an xo, when it wears of course, for now it runs like a dream!

I relies this is quite an old thread but i just wanted to double check, will a 10sp KMC chain run with a full 10sp SRAM drivetrain and 10sp XTR RD?