Sram xx1

camoshop

Banned
Converting my SS to hears so the plan was to put the slx cranks and xt mech shifters on the cotic so I figured if I'm going to go 1x11 sram was a nice option. I like the 10/42 range casset if I run a 32 ring up front I'll be fine on most of the climbs around my area.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
With all this 1x11 speed chatter, I'm so surprised that no one has mentioned XTR 11 speed.
It actually isnt bad value in comparison.
If I was going 1x11, I would without a doubt, be looking at Shimano.
I'm not a fan of SRAM shifters or derailieurs and much prefer the action of Shimano.

In saying that, SRAM cranks are the doggies!

I think Shimano cassette range is 11-40, SRAM has 10-42, so the gear range of Shimano is less.
No idea on price differences though.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
all X01 are carbon. the OEM alloy cranks are X1.
Have seen em Mitchy - think it was on a riding buddies specialized though I could be wrong - doesn't mean all OEM, but there are x01 s going around that are in fact X9 cranks with a new paint job. All of the retail packed x01 s are carbon.

So takeoffs should be viewed with scepticism. Hopefully it was just during the period between x01 been available and before x1 had been launched - it seems to be bikes of late 2013 that suffered - bikes now have openly labelled x1 forged cranks. Still, you'd want a picture that is clearly that of a carbon crank if you are buying privately.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Anthem X's always came with 156 XX cranks. Measure you frame to be sure. The narrower q-factor cranks will generally make for a nicer pedaling experience if they fit.
Yep, got 156 on my niner, but you can be restricted with 2x with big ring sizes and also 1x when you want to try and fit a 36 etc - ie it's as the stay bulges out that contact happens with bigger ring sizes.

camoshop

Banned
Thanks for all the info guys, I've had a chance to have a proper read over it all on the train, I was busier at work earlier, I'm set in getting a xx1 cassette and mech and shifter!! If I can get xo1 or X1 cranks cheaper that would be ideal and maybe as suggest get a NW direct mount ring non sram.

ChopSticks

Banned
cam... you might have overlooked one part......

when I last spoke to you... wheels wasn't high up on the list of mods? but with 11spd... you'll need a new freehub/ brand new rear wheel

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Thanks for all the info guys, I've had a chance to have a proper read over it all on the train, I was busier at work earlier, I'm set in getting a xx1 cassette and mech and shifter!! If I can get xo1 or X1 cranks cheaper that would be ideal and maybe as suggest get a NW direct mount ring non sram.
Save yourself some dough, go xo1 mech, cassette, xx1 shifter and if your not going with a sram chainring, some XO cranks with a DM works components ring. It will feel the same as the full xx1 at 2/3 the price and about 100g heavier.

camoshop

Banned
Save yourself some dough, go xo1 mech, cassette, xx1 shifter and if your not going with a sram chainring, some XO cranks with a DM works components ring. It will feel the same as the full xx1 at 2/3 the price and about 100g heavier.
But isn't xo1 only 10 speed?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Nope, x5-x9, XO and xx are 10 speed x1-xx1 are all 1x11 specific. XO cranks are 10 speed, but by removing the spider and fitting a DM ring will be a cheaper substitute.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Well now, not sure why I thought other wise, in that case I'll get as knuckles suggested :third:
Unless you want the caché of running a full xx1 groupo. But as you ride a giant and drive a girls car, i assume you wouldn't :behindsofa:

camoshop

Banned
Unless you want the caché of running a full xx1 groupo. But as you ride a giant and drive a girls car, i assume you wouldn't :behindsofa:
Haha myvhatchback girls car fits my giant in the back nicely ts you very much, with the seats down of course haha :pound:

houli77

Likes Dirt
I just did the same thing. Wanted 1x11 and bought a mixture of parts to make it heaps cheaper and not much more weight than springing for full xx1

Most of the x01 gear is only a couple grams heavier and a bit cheaper. If yr not in a hurry there's often sales on crc or elsewhere. No intent to diss Aussie shops but fuck I saved some coin from oz retail prices.

As a side note I noticed a company called ari are now making replacement 42t alloy replacement rings for xx1/x01 as I've read these can wear quickly if you use them lots.. When a big company like SRAM offers no solution and forces you to buy an expensive whole part instead of offering the cheaper small part they can eat dick and I applaud the companies that offer the solution.

Kinda like not offering clutches on 9 speed shifting to force you to buy 10 speed.. Pity SRAM and Shimano never worked together on that ploy.. Still to this day running zee10 speed clutch on 9 speed SRAM shifter on my dh bike... Who needs 10 speeds on a dh bike????

Camdyson

Likes Bikes
Have you considered an XO1 grip shifter? I run one on my X01 1x11 setup and wouldn't go back to trigger shift.

Cam D

camoshop

Banned
Was having a browse seems xo1 stuff is more expensive than xx1 on the particular website ibwas on the only thing that was cheaper than xx1 was the xo black 10/42 cassette, which is a must have. Hmmm never been a fan of grip shifters, imbsure they have improved over the years thouh.