Starting DH

CaMz

Squid
Hey guys, I'm considering starting DH within the next six months and I was wondering as to what sort of bike would be best..considering I'd only just be starting out?? As for price range I suppose I'd be looking for around $1500 - $2000.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
IF that's your budget then I'd suggest checking out the second hand section, you could get some decent start bikes for that much (Glory, Norco, etc). I know there's the whole, "Oh don't get a glory, everyone has them" attitude around but they're a decent bike for a great price so I'd say they're a perfect starter bike.

driftking

Wheel size expert
As mentioned second hand is probably best bet for that price range. On the glory side of things people say don't get a glory because everyone has one, everyone has one because they work. It also means that being popular they are cheaper to pick up second hand, so they are a great choice.
What did standout in your post though was "I am considering" I think before you go spend your cash on a bike you should work out if you are going to do it or not, no point ending up with a downhill rig and then end up riding all mountain or xc. Make sure you are fairly certain what you want out of the bike and type of riding you will be doing before committing to a purchase.

You will probably be hooked as soon as you begin riding downhill is fairly addictive.

.Sam

Likes Dirt
So sick of these posts. There so many other threads about the same topic.

I Know you might be new but seriously check out some other threads

driftking

Wheel size expert
So sick of these posts. There so many other threads about the same topic.

I Know you might be new but seriously check out some other threads
I know, there was a period where all I replied was read the rules and search.
There are so many people who don't read the rules or bother to search (ok ok, I am guilty of the no search at times and when i was a newbie I posted some sh*t) so I try not to be to harsh as I am guilty as a junior member of doing the same. But maybe there needs to be some way to control this. maybe threads with similar titles can be suggested before the confirmation of a thread post?? that way even if someone doesn't search they get suggestions before they post as a secondary method of control?

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
IF that's your budget then I'd suggest checking out the second hand section, you could get some decent start bikes for that much (Glory, Norco, etc). I know there's the whole, "Oh don't get a glory, everyone has them" attitude around but they're a decent bike for a great price so I'd say they're a perfect starter bike.
+1 to this. Who's the current world champion and what does he ride?

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, I'm considering starting DH within the next six months and I was wondering as to what sort of bike would be best..considering I'd only just be starting out?? As for price range I suppose I'd be looking for around $1500 - $2000.

Any tips greatly appreciated.
I'd seriously consider getting a hardtail to start out on. It'll teach you to pick better lines and be smoother. You could probably pick up a pretty good free ride hardtail for under $1000. Something like this looks pretty decent.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd seriously consider getting a hardtail to start out on. It'll teach you to pick better lines and be smoother. You could probably pick up a pretty good free ride hardtail for under $1000. Something like this looks pretty decent.
A mate of mine picked up an 09 sasquatch for $500. If you go down this path you'll get a taste of DH - it'll be rougher than on a DH bike but as stated you'll learn lines and whatnot better, an XC track does not compare/teach lines to a DH track. This all follows on from what driftking was saying regarding 'considering'.

If you can pick up a decent hadtail at a low price you probably won't lose too much money selling it down the track if either you didn't like DH or want to upgrade to a full DH rig.

Otherwise if you're mind is already made then a Glory is the way to go! I have an 09 model and love it to bits. I bought it because it was tried and tested (everyone has one) and its unkillable. Highly recommended, if you can get a newer one then great - they are lighter and are a more nible ride IMO.

CaMz

Squid
Thanks

Thanks Everyone, sorry about the poor word choice...I've been riding for quite awhile now (bmx and on my hardtail), and downhill is something I'm actually quite interested in doing. I have already been scouting the for sale section on the site, and as you guys said many glory's are for sale. Didn't mean to raise such a big alarm with the older members though, I did actually do a small amount of research...just wanted to get a good opinion.

Surfin' Addiction

Cannon Fodder
I've read a few of these "Starting DH" threads now and it's reassuring as someone who's looking to get started that everyone (or most people) are saying the same things, "start with a 'HT' and it will teach you a lot more about control" etc. It seems though that the Norco's are really the only choice as far as bomb proof HT DH bikes. A few other bikes I had 'mistaken' as HT DH bikes, and I was quickly told were either DJ or XC, were bikes like the SE Filth Flyer. As far as something like a Sasquatch, unless they've modded they usually come with Shimano Alivio or Deore running gear yes? Wouldn't be worth spending the bit extra for something with maybe Sram X5 or X7? I'm sure there is a Shimano Vs. Sram thread somewhere that will tell me what everyone's thoughts are.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I've read a few of these "Starting DH" threads now and it's reassuring as someone who's looking to get started that everyone (or most people) are saying the same things, "start with a 'HT' and it will teach you a lot more about control" etc. It seems though that the Norco's are really the only choice as far as bomb proof HT DH bikes. A few other bikes I had 'mistaken' as HT DH bikes, and I was quickly told were either DJ or XC, were bikes like the SE Filth Flyer. As far as something like a Sasquatch, unless they've modded they usually come with Shimano Alivio or Deore running gear yes? Wouldn't be worth spending the bit extra for something with maybe Sram X5 or X7? I'm sure there is a Shimano Vs. Sram thread somewhere that will tell me what everyone's thoughts are.
While I also like the idea of hardtail riding, it can be tough at the start, it is a big learning curve with a hardtail and the really rough tracks can become almost impossible to ride fast and it get frustrating. I think that a Hardtail is great idea but don't spend a lot of money on one, as you will no doubt upgrade later on. There is a proper downhill hardtail which as far as I know is the only one which is built by nicolai, but they are expensive and if you were spending that much your be better of just getting a dual suspension bike. So the nicolai is probably out of most peoples books.
Consider short trail bikes as well, you will still learn a lot but it will be a little more fun, forgiving and take that harshness out a little having 80-100mm under you.

With the sram/shimnao debate, most threads will be in regards to them as a whole so they wont go into specific models vs models or they will be in regards to the higher end stuff, I ran sram on my old bike and now run shimano, so far the shimano feels smoother in gear changes but not as direct, the sram has a more snappy feel to it like there is zero lag.

Surfin' Addiction

Cannon Fodder
While I also like the idea of hardtail riding, it can be tough at the start, it is a big learning curve with a hardtail and the really rough tracks can become almost impossible to ride fast and it get frustrating. I think that a Hardtail is great idea but don't spend a lot of money on one, as you will no doubt upgrade later on. There is a proper downhill hardtail which as far as I know is the only one which is built by nicolai, but they are expensive and if you were spending that much your be better of just getting a dual suspension bike. So the nicolai is probably out of most peoples books.
Consider short trail bikes as well, you will still learn a lot but it will be a little more fun, forgiving and take that harshness out a little having 80-100mm under you.

With the sram/shimnao debate, most threads will be in regards to them as a whole so they wont go into specific models vs models or they will be in regards to the higher end stuff, I ran sram on my old bike and now run shimano, so far the shimano feels smoother in gear changes but not as direct, the sram has a more snappy feel to it like there is zero lag.
I'll be doing a bit of a mixture of riding too, with some XC and hill climbs so I think the benefit of a hard tail will present itself in that I won't be losing a lot of effort like I would with a dualie. I also was not intending to spend a lot first up. I am looking at keeping it under $600 for a decent hard tail. I have missed a few opportunities with bikes on Gumtree and eBay because I wasn't sure what I was after in a bike. Kicking myself about one in particular now. But ah well.

With the Sram Vs. Shimano thing again, I have heard and experienced to some degree the differences in some of the lower end stuff in the same way you have described. Although the Sram was a little rough, it was definitely crisper and just had a more robust feel to it, which I think is more beneficial in an off-road environment. And from what I have gathered that lower end Sram stuff is the way to go over Shimano.

indica

Serial flasher
I'll be doing a bit of a mixture of riding too, with some XC and hill climbs so I think the benefit of a hard tail will present itself in that I won't be losing a lot of effort like I would with a dualie..
That is a fallacy these days. Full suspension provides for vastly improved traction when riding off-road. Climbing with a modern full sus design is faster and easier for all but super fit XC riders.

driftking

Wheel size expert
It sounds like you are in the position that many rider face, they look for a do it all bike, and while there are bikes that cover a range of styles they never excel at one rather they do 2 or 3 things well but they are never geared towards a specific area so You wont receive the same benefits you would from a fully dedicated bike.

Though for 600 bucks get a hardtail, for that budget there is not point going dually.
IMO

Last edited:

Surfin' Addiction

Cannon Fodder
That is a fallacy these days. Full suspension provides for vastly improved traction when riding off-road. Climbing with a modern full sus design is faster and easier for all but super fit XC riders.
Maybe I am super fit indica ha ha ha. But, seriously I just want to get started and get out and have a go. If I get a hardtail and ride it 6-12 months I may decide I want an upgrade. But I also have a thing for building up a quiver. I do this with all my sports. It's nice to walk out to your shed and say 'who's my pick today'.

I haven't so much got a '5 year plan' set out of how I want to progress with MTBing, or what I want to do. I just see it as a further extension of the road cycling and fixed gear track / urban riding I already do. I just see the hardtail thing as the best starting point to get out there and start! I can definitely appreciate what you guys and anyone else has to say. It's easy to be on the outside looking in with an idea in your head of how things will go, but once you start something it is inevitably always different.