State Enduro Series 2010 (Vic)

akashra

Eats Squid
I guess I need to weigh in on this, but first off I also need to be clear that my view on things doesn't necessarily mean things will change to match things. I'm perfectly capable of running and managing a system I don't entirely agree with implementing.

The major issues I have with the categories are as follows:
1. I get the impression that there's a lot of people out there who expect wins and podiums to be delivered to them on a silver platter. They want the competition to be so diluted that you end up with a very niche category (eg, solo 40+ singlespeed as an example) just so they can feel the 'achievement' of getting a podium when all they've really done is beat three others in this very niche class. That's not competition, and that's not achievement. While achievement to some can be a personal goal of just finishing a race, no-one needs to give those people a category just for them to race in. To me, a healthy sized category is around/at least 25 entrants.

2. Organisers are regularly complained to about presentations taking too long, and people lose interest by the time you get to the 10th category. Especially since we work in reverse order of prestige, by the time we get to Elite Men, it's not uncommon to find the disrespectful situation where the placegetters in the minor categories have got their prizes, so they've nicked off. It's not behavior I'm particularly proud of seeing.
Reducing the presentation time was definitely a factor in the discussion of grades that were held in 2010, and will once again be the case in 2011.

3. While there are some categories that have a reasonable number of teams event-to-event, we find very few have a return rate. This is an item of right up there on my priorities to address, as the series is that, a series - no longer a bunch of races just lumped together hap-hazardously. From all of a sport development, a participants sense of achievement, and a financial point of view, we need to focus on having people return to the sport.
While we absolutely want newcomers to come along and just do what they intend to be a 'one-off' event, we also want them to come back. At the worst case if they don't come back to a VES event, we want them out on bikes somewhere, at other events - that's still a win for the sport.

4. In reality, for a six hour event, there's very little difference in the ability of a team of three and a team of two. Especially at the pointy end, riders aren't really dropping much time on their final laps in teams of two, and teams of three have a slight disadvantage - they have to find three riders of similar ability and speed, not just two.
For exactly the reason riderideride has pointed out, those teams, even though often the same riders, end up not being a part of the 'series' as such.
One option we're considering is to drop the concept of specific size teams for the purpose of series points. While we *may* still recognise the winning 3 man team, 2 man team, mixed pair, mixed three etc, under this proposal what would instead happen for the series is it would just be reduced to 'Male teams', 'Mixed teams' etc. In this way, teams would be able to race two man at some races, three at others, etc, and still go for a series place.

Most importantly, the points system will change for 2011, if not for all categories, at the least for the Solo men.
Whereas currently it is 80, 65, 55, 48, 43 etc, with Masters and Elite as separate categories, the two will now come under one umbrella, like the way U23s is under the UCI system, for example. The points system I've tested would instead become 160, 145, 130, 120, 110, 103, 96...
This might look complicated, so the simplest way to explain it is that it's the same MTBA system, but doubled, with the same points gap across two places instead of one.

This will achieve a number of things:
- It will better reward riders who frequent the series and place outside the top 5-10
- It will better reward riders in large fields - fields of 30 riders, small to average for the VES, are not well suited to the current points system.

I've already put my foot down and said that in addition to Masters, that Veterans and Sport (20-29) will be recognised - the age discrimination that goes on supporting the Masters categories (a field usually no larger than 50% of the non-masters riders) can no longer continue. The fallacy that a Masters rider can not compete at the pointy end is exactly that - Brad Davies finished third overall in the series this year in Elite Men, despite being eligible for Masters. Past riders such as Kerry Ryan and Peter Pink are also examples of how this fable of older riders being uncompetitive is nothing more than a myth.

I don't know if this clarifies anything or everything, but it's just some things to consider. None of this means decisions are set in stone - the rule-book is still being written, and the involved clubs do have a certain amount of say each in how the series is conducted.

So, TLDR? Yes, there will be changes. Yes, some people will complain and be unhappy, while others will get on with their lives and continue to enjoy both racing and riding.

macboy

Likes Dirt
Most importantly, the points system will change for 2011, if not for all categories, at the least for the Solo men.
Whereas currently it is 80, 65, 55, 48, 43 etc, with Masters and Elite as separate categories, the two will now come under one umbrella, like the way U23s is under the UCI system, for example. The points system I've tested would instead become 160, 145, 130, 120, 110, 103, 96...
This might look complicated, so the simplest way to explain it is that it's the same MTBA system, but doubled, with the same points gap across two places instead of one.

This will achieve a number of things:
- It will better reward riders who frequent the series and place outside the top 5-10
- It will better reward riders in large fields - fields of 30 riders, small to average for the VES, are not well suited to the current points system.
Just up on cyclingnews regarding changes to UCI mtb rules

Separate cross country races for Under 23

Perhaps the biggest change to elite cross country World Cup racing will be the separation of Elite and Under 23 cross country riders. What is still up for debate is whether the best Under 23 riders may still be allowed to race with the Elites and if so, how many.

The potential change comes after some huge combined Elite and Under 23 fields made courses very congested, especially at the starts as racers are going for the hole shot. Van den Abeele noted that at one of the most popular World Cups, in Offenburg in 2010, there were 235 Elite and Under 23 men on the start line together.

As riders like Burry Stander or Nino Schurter have demonstrated, some Under 23s are fast enough to do well racing among the elite men.

"We would invite some number of [Under 23] riders to race the Elites, and if they decided to do so, they'd have to race the Elites all year at the World Cups, although it would not affect their status racing as Under 23s at the world championships," said Van den Abeele. "Even if a U23 rider changed his status to Elite for World Cups, he would still be able to race the U23s at Worlds."

Van den Abeele said the UCI would like to implement this change in 2011, but couldn't promise the rules will be changed in time. "We need to look at several factors, and it's already pretty late," he said.

Whatever approach the UCI takes for the Under 23s, expect it to apply similarly to both the men and the women.

"It should be the same for women because we can't create rules only for men," said Van den Abeele. Given the sheer numbers of Elite and Under 23 men, a split race would result in the Under 23 men and Elite men racing at separate times on the same course.

Depending on the size of the field, the Elite and Under 23 women might race at the same time on the same course, but separately and with a staggered start. "It's not in our mind to have totally separate races for the Under 23 women now. For the women, maybe we would offset the women and Under 23 women's starts by a minute or so."

The split for both women in particular could have some benefits in supporting developing riders as they move up the ranks from Juniors through Under 23s to Elites. "If we do split the fields, we hope it would encourage more girls to keep mountain bike racing. Because the step now from Junior to Elite ranks is so big. Maybe by having separate Under 23 races, it would make the step not so big. Then more could focus on mountain bike racing rather than switching to other cycling disciplines."

vogmae

Likes Dirt
1. I get the impression that there's a lot of people out there who expect wins and podiums to be delivered to them on a silver platter. They want the competition to be so diluted that you end up with a very niche category (eg, solo 40+ singlespeed as an example) just so they can feel the 'achievement' of getting a podium when all they've really done is beat three others in this very niche class. That's not competition, and that's not achievement. While achievement to some can be a personal goal of just finishing a race, no-one needs to give those people a category just for them to race in. To me, a healthy sized category is around/at least 25 entrants.

(big bit snipped)

I've already put my foot down and said that in addition to Masters, that Veterans and Sport (20-29) will be recognised - the age discrimination that goes on supporting the Masters categories (a field usually no larger than 50% of the non-masters riders) can no longer continue. The fallacy that a Masters rider can not compete at the pointy end is exactly that - Brad Davies finished third overall in the series this year in Elite Men, despite being eligible for Masters. Past riders such as Kerry Ryan and Peter Pink are also examples of how this fable of older riders being uncompetitive is nothing more than a myth.
this is not a disagreement but some explanation from a punter. I like racing in 40+ because I'm 50, new to the sport, and never going to be at the pointy end. But when I race 40+ (solo, teams, etc) I get a results sheet that shows me where I am amongst my almost peers. As a racer, not a punter, this means a lot to me. If I'm in with all then I still finish in the same place overall, but I can't really see or tell where I am in relation to other riders around about my age. So if the category goes, it would just be really useful (and I possibly encouraging for those who enjoy the racing but aren't ever going to win anything) to be able to get results that also sorted by something like age. Perhaps odd. But once you're past 40 you're racing different races.

Also I think it is a harsh generalisation about the niche stuff. 40+ singlespeed solo is a bit much but I think the issue is not that they want a trophy because only 3 will ever enter, but because as I described above they want a results sheet that shows them where they are in relation to each other. I might be wrong, but in some cases this year categories were won because riders went to every round, and winning was a consequence of that, not because they deliberately entered a category with no entrants.

And yes, masters riders can compete at the pointy end, at the lower end (younger) end of masters. But it is a recognised UCI category, and for me, perhaps others, I prefer to be trying to catch up to Bruce Dickey et al rather than Joel Read. One I might manage one day, the other would be a sad fantasy.

paggnr

Likes Dirt
One option we're considering is to drop the concept of specific size teams for the purpose of series points. While we *may* still recognise the winning 3 man team, 2 man team, mixed pair, mixed three etc, under this proposal what would instead happen for the series is it would just be reduced to 'Male teams', 'Mixed teams' etc. In this way, teams would be able to race two man at some races, three at others, etc, and still go for a series place.
This would have certainly been good for us this year as we had difficulty with our third rider for some rounds, therefore had points scored in three man and two man. Which took a lot of the fun out of the season as we LIKE the series aspect and chasing the series win over individual rounds.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Helmet Cam vision available

Part one of the collation of Helmet Cam vision that askashra collected over the 7 rounds of the 2010 VIC Enduro Series has been uploaded to YouTube at the following URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvdmsd4TtUM

Part 1 covers Rounds 1 to 4 (You Yangs, Mt Beauty, Rock Hop and Bendigo) - be warned - it is 220 Mb and just under 13 minutes long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEUt06QLQk4

Part 2, covering Rounds 5 to 7 (Albury, Castlemaine and Lake Mountain) is now available as well.

The clips also contain 12st, 2nd and 3rd placings for each of the 9 categories at each round.

Thanks to everyone who carried the cam during the series.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
Yes, many are. For example, 81% of respondents said that there's already sufficient categories. 60% are already treating it as a series rather than individual rounds - that's a number we'd like to encourage in the upwards direction.
88% disagree that there's already too many rounds, hence the increase to 9 which I admit I am personally a bit nervous about. 90% want a discounted series entry, and 75% are happy to see new, previously unused venues on the calendar, with 100% wanting additional venues in 2011.

There's a few comments complaining about the dropping of categories, but while they're the most vocal (and some nasty), they're in the minority. There were some very constructive ones suggesting we offer maybe something for first-time solo riders or new solo riders, which I like the idea of and think has some merit to encourage riders into solo (ie, maybe a prize for a riders who is in their first year of MTBA membership, or that we have no record of them ever completing a solo XCE event before).

Flying haggis

Likes Bikes
Roughly when should the dates/venues for 2011 get announced?

Only mananged two events this year but I'm looking forward to trying to do the entire series for 2011.

Cheers,
FH

adaib

Likes Dirt
The major issues I have with the categories are as follows:

2. Organisers are regularly complained to about presentations taking too long, and people lose interest by the time you get to the 10th category. Especially since we work in reverse order of prestige, by the time we get to Elite Men, it's not uncommon to find the disrespectful situation where the placegetters in the minor categories have got their prizes, so they've nicked off. It's not behavior I'm particularly proud of seeing.
Reducing the presentation time was definitely a factor in the discussion of grades that were held in 2010, and will once again be the case in 2011.
I completely agree with you. Categorys should not be tiny little weak dog ones, the should include a large range or riders, as it adds competition, like what you said.

If you can do this, then the presentation duration will reduce it's self, so two birds with one stone.

However, this considered, it is important to give recognition to those riders who intentionally make it harder for themselves. For example, Singlespeeders should be recognised, if i was to do a race like Otway Oddessey on a single speed, I would want some recognition.
So make sure when you make the categorys, make they are appropreate to the range of riders who are competing

Brendan

serowe

Likes Dirt
However, this considered, it is important to give recognition to those riders who intentionally make it harder for themselves. For example, Singlespeeders should be recognised, if i was to do a race like Otway Oddessey on a single speed, I would want some recognition.
So make sure when you make the categorys, make they are appropreate to the range of riders who are competing

Brendan
But this then sounds like it is the riders who are deciding the categories and not the club/organiser - after all, it is the club/organiser doing the work in setting the events up, deciding what trophies, prizes etc will be awarded. Surely you're not saying that because the SingleSpeeder decides to turn up at an event he/she should have a category setup just because they made the effort? (just using your example)

riderideride

Likes Dirt
surely if you choose to ride a single speed that is your own fault. Why should you be given a handicap??? next we will be weighing everyones bikes and having different categories based on how heavy your bike is. Urgh. Just choose a category and ride in it. Done.

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
If they have a category and I ride in it well and good.
If they don't have a category and I don't ride in it well and good.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
Teams

What is very appealing about the Vic Enduro series to many riders is it is a TEAM event. There are plenty of individual Mt Bike events which are great individual events, from the national and state round XC to marathon and 100km events run by the PP ,even local dirt crits, interwinter series and club series races. For 2011 the emphasis should stay on the Enduro series being a TEAM event series.
The racing between teams in 2010 was terrific and most enjoyable.

adaib

Likes Dirt
But this then sounds like it is the riders who are deciding the categories and not the club/organiser - after all, it is the club/organiser doing the work in setting the events up, deciding what trophies, prizes etc will be awarded. Surely you're not saying that because the SingleSpeeder decides to turn up at an event he/she should have a category setup just because they made the effort? (just using your example)
Yeah sure, the organiser needs to be in control, for sure. But, if there is a category worth of singlespeeders in the race, and a category worth of "not-singlespeeders" then surely a singlespeeder category should be formed for that race so they're competing in their own level of competition. Isn't that why they have the Single Speed Nationals (or something like that)??

johndh

Likes Dirt
One of the major issues I believe with cutting categories based on the participant number criteria is that you will end up cutting the majority of the female and junior categories.
The 6hr events are participation events, we need to be encouraging as many riders as possible to have a go at MTB. Last year we increased our numbers due to adding a new group of categories eg 3hr. To give away a medalion(s) and put people on the podium doesn't cost the club much and is great for the sport and the club.
In the end it is the club that needs to grow and develop/encourage MTB in it's local area the Enduro's are one strategy to achieving this, bring on more of them!