STEEL cyclocross / commuter / touring

gadget1

Likes Dirt
roadies with discs. Brake levers?

saw the Soma Doublecross DC on the list in this forum. Looks sweet to me.
Got me thinking, If you're using disc brakes with road bars, what sort of levers are you mounting and where on the bars?

Monks

Likes Dirt
bit of a thread revival, but I kind evolved my Giant Seek S into a cyclocross over a year ago now.

I ditched the flat bar, and it started with bullhorns, but I couldn't get the brake actuation right because of short and long pull brakes using the discs, but the drop V from cane creek are perfect. it comes with 700x32, but I've gone down to a 700x28 vittoria randonneur, and it's been rolling over all that NYE glass everywhere with ease. Been thinking about getting different cranks as the current ratio is fairly spinny.

Giant Seek S (single speed, not fixed) XL
Salsa Bel Lap bars
Cane Creek Drop V Brakes
Race face Evolve Stem
BO gear top tube Beernut
Crank bros Ti eggbeaters

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
Read the entire thread with interest, as I am looking for a bike for me. I thought it was a 29er MTB but that didn't fit what I wanted to really do, so I sold it, now I am thinking cyclocross bike. I have a lot of dirt 4-wd roads where I am, no bitucm until 7km from my front door. I have a Santa Cruz BLT II as a 26 inch MTB for use on the trails on my land but am interested in ding some longer distance day riding and just can;t get enthused to do it on the MTB.

This one looks like it might do ?

I am not attached to "steel" at all.

jensy

Cannon Fodder
Narrowing it down...

hi, I'd also like to piggyback on to this thread and check in to see what people thought of the choice between:

• specialized tricross sport
  • avanti circa 2
  • scott cx comp
  • salsa naya

Is there something of this ilk that I've missed? I'm not sure that the Konas are really in the same class, but am happy to be corrected.

Its for my wife who's going from a 15 year old no suspension giant atx to something faster for her commute, and for possible family tours into the future.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
Tricross is a nice bike (i have one) but was very annoyed when the rear wheel got fractures around the eyelets. Who has a 32 front and back. Also annoyed about the cheap square taper BB. Other than that it is going strong after 12,000km on some off-road bike paths, three cross races and some on road stuff. I guess I can't complain considering the grief it gets carrying a 92kg man with a backpack 5 days a week.

I am also getting a Circa 1 (not the 2) that my work is getting me. Should have it soon so will get a report then.

If you live in Melbourne happy to show you the two bikes if you are a XXL!

As you can see I am a total crosser fan. They just work so well for commuting! My roadie would have been destroyed and my MTB would have ended up in the river with frustration having to ride it on the black stuff

shakes

Likes Dirt
I'll bump this up....

Have been doing the homework on a Salsa Vaya as I need a family bike/tourer/super commuter, would have purchased a while ago but inconsistant work has meant I'm better keeping the money in the bank.

Hadn't even considered the Kona Sutra, until I re-read this thread - I would of changed the STI's to bar end shifters, the cranks to a triple, and BB7's are definately nicer than bb5's, I'll also get a shitty rack and mudgaurds to top the deal off... So apart from a cheaper wheelset, and at least $400-$500 less. Why wouldn't I go for the Kona over the Salsa?

Danny B

Likes Dirt
I'll bump this up....

Have been doing the homework on a Salsa Vaya as I need a family bike/tourer/super commuter, would have purchased a while ago but inconsistant work has meant I'm better keeping the money in the bank.

Hadn't even considered the Kona Sutra, until I re-read this thread - I would of changed the STI's to bar end shifters, the cranks to a triple, and BB7's are definately nicer than bb5's, I'll also get a shitty rack and mudgaurds to top the deal off... So apart from a cheaper wheelset, and at least $400-$500 less. Why wouldn't I go for the Kona over the Salsa?
Funny, I was looking into what might be a good CX/commuter today too. I was looking at the Traitor Ruben, as a frameset - TBSM has the bike complete but the parts look pox IMO - and I could probably build something more to my liking for around the same money. Components are also what turned me off the Kona Sutra, that and the extra weight. Sorry to say, I couldn't ride the Salsa bikes because - while I'm sure they ride very well - they look, to my eye, like they've been hit, nay beaten, with the ugly stick.

I think rather than the classic 3 x 9 set up, I'm going to build up a bike with 2x10 SRAM Apex (which can take a 11-32 road cassette) - as I prefer the two rings up front and this gives a good range anyway.

Back to frames so I'm tossing up between the Surly Cross-check and the Traitor Ruben - which is to say: canti's vs mechanical discs. I think I'm leaning towards cantis and the Surly. Would I be right in thinking that cantis require less adjustment and have a bit less power?

BTW for those who are interested Surly are releasing a Disc LHT this year.

shakes

Likes Dirt
Funny, I was looking into what might be a good CX/commuter today too. I was looking at the Traitor Ruben, as a frameset - TBSM has the bike complete but the parts look pox IMO - and I could probably build something more to my liking for around the same money. Components are also what turned me off the Kona Sutra, that and the extra weight. Sorry to say, I couldn't ride the Salsa bikes because - while I'm sure they ride very well - they look, to my eye, like they've been hit, nay beaten, with the ugly stick.

I think rather than the classic 3 x 9 set up, I'm going to build up a bike with 2x10 SRAM Apex (which can take a 11-32 road cassette) - as I prefer the two rings up front and this gives a good range anyway.

Back to frames so I'm tossing up between the Surly Cross-check and the Traitor Ruben - which is to say: canti's vs mechanical discs. I think I'm leaning towards cantis and the Surly. Would I be right in thinking that cantis require less adjustment and have a bit less power?

BTW for those who are interested Surly are releasing a Disc LHT this year.
I strangely enough think the Salsa's look quite nice.

Having had a good look over the Sutra it just looks cheap in every aspect, so I think the Vaya with a triple front, and some thumbies will be the way to go. The LHT is too relaxed/slow of a riding position for me, the Vaya is borderline (I spend most of my time on a square frame fixie)

I have had no real experience but I think 2x10 is too fickle for commute duties. It needs very precise tuning to get nice shifts, and wear's relatively quickly to 9spd. So on a bike that will see alot of filthy wet roads, and a few knocks it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me... But I've never personally ran it so shouldnt comment.

I also can't speak for other discs, but I LOVE my bb7's pad life is great, stopping is amazing. Once set up they are easily adjusted - wind a dial till it rub's, back off a qtr of a turn. In several years of running em on the front of my trials bike and XC bike I've only ever needed to replace the pad's a couple of times, have never bent a rotor beyond repair and my trials bike gets thrown about ALOT! But if your not riding daily in the wet (I get 2months of pad life on caliper brakes over winter), or carrying big loads then I can't see a reason not to go canti's. Still stop great, infintely adjustable for feel, but do take alot of experience or trial and error to get perfectly dialed.

struggles

Likes Dirt
Its not steel but so far its stood up to my 119kgs for the last 4000kms.

I have broken one spoke and that's it.

It gets used on Singletrack as well as the road. Will be upgrading to BB7's soon.

Just recently changed the seat to an on-one inbred and it was comfy for a 150km ride.

Last edited:

rone

Eats Squid
Cotic Roadrat. Super-flexible compatibility. Singlespeed/hub gears, derailleur horizontal dropouts with hanger plates, disc and V compatible, suitable for drops or flat bars, nice low BB so it corners with confidence when loaded, rack mounts.......

Mine:

roadrat 015.jpg