Stiff Duelies

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Sell car, pay off off the balance, buy hot new dually (Specialized Epic, Merida 96, etc), use leftover money to buy a 2nd hand car :)

In that way, you have a new bike which won't hurt your body, a car and no debt :)

gadget1

Likes Dirt
don't go the scalpel

in less than 12 months my riding buddy had to send his fork back twice for a service
and broke 2 frames. I don't know if he's been given a warranty for the second one yet.

They both cracked where alloy joined carbon (they just seemed to be glued which suggests poor engineering to me)

Admittedly the new all carbon frames may be better.

+1 the pivot. super plush with little or no bob. Even when it does bob it still feels like it pushes you forward when it releases.

+1 Ti hardtail. Removes buzz, maybe just the feel you're looking for, too. still slower than my pivot, though, i reckon.

+1 Scott. the handlebar mounted lockout system seems exactly what you're looking for.

enjoy your test rides

gadget1

Likes Dirt
Just a question.

Has this physio given you a proper bike fit, or has he just made some recommendations?

Good luck with it all

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
apparently the brain system on the specialized is about as close to a hardtail as your likely to get (as told to me by a salesman). the way it was explained is that it only allows travel when actually dropping the rear due to the way the inertia valve works. not really my cup of tea because i actually enjoy a little plushness while climbing rough terrain or failing to hop a log, but might be right up your alley if you want something that acts like a hardtail unless REALLY needed.
Hopefully they've fixed the whole brain thing but I know a couple of people who have gone through several brains in not too many years and they don't actually ride a great deal compared... I think some got replaced under warranty but you'd want to be sure it's pretty awesome as it's another expensive part that can fail catastrophically.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hopefully they've fixed the whole brain thing but I know a couple of people who have gone through several brains in not too many years and they don't actually ride a great deal compared... I think some got replaced under warranty but you'd want to be sure it's pretty awesome as it's another expensive part that can fail catastrophically.
I haven't owned my "Brain" equipped bike for long, so I can't speak for long term reliability. By all accounts from 2010 onwards they're very well sorted.

Performance wise the Epic's suspension is very impressive, it works very well for the XC racer. Just stand and hammer, no bobbing.

MATTY R

Likes Dirt
Ive just gone from a GT hardtail to a 2011 Scott Spark and im loveing it!

As mentioned, the Scott has the handle bar mounted lock out. At 1st i thought it was a bit gimicky and i almost took it off, but after a bit of playing around ive found that I can run the shock a little softer than i normally would, which is great in the rougher stuff but completly lock it out when I get to a climb or to sprint along a fire road. When its loocked out it feels just like a HT. They are pretty light straight out of the box too.

adaib

Likes Dirt
Has this physio given you a proper bike fit, or has he just made some recommendations?
She said i need to get a bike that when i bend over i do not bend my back, i bend at the hips. She said that the smaller frames cause you to bend slightly in the lower back to reach the bars and this is causing the issue. She also suggested that reducing the vibrations that hit the back will aid in healing

As mentioned, the Scott has the handle bar mounted lock out. At 1st i thought it was a bit gimicky and i almost took it off, but after a bit of playing around ive found that I can run the shock a little softer than i normally would, which is great in the rougher stuff but completly lock it out when I get to a climb or to sprint along a fire road. When its loocked out it feels just like a HT. They are pretty light straight out of the box too.
I'll keep it mind and have a test ride. thanks, it sounds alright.... :)

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
She said i need to get a bike that when i bend over i do not bend my back, i bend at the hips. She said that the smaller frames cause you to bend slightly in the lower back to reach the bars and this is causing the issue. She also suggested that reducing the vibrations that hit the back will aid in healing
So sounds like you need to lengthen your saddle to bar measurement? Would a longer stem, and possibly raising your handlebars on your current bike help? Won't help with vibrations of course though.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
So sounds like you need to lengthen your saddle to bar measurement? Would a longer stem, and possibly raising your handlebars on your current bike help? Won't help with vibrations of course though.
True, if your'e sitting like Mary Poppins, and hunching your back over, try sliding your saddle back like pinkbike says (or getting a longer stem) and bending at the hips and keeping your back straight.

Im not going to get into suggesting how to alter your current setup, but a nice XC oriented stiff dually is the Scott Spark 50. My old man has one, and its really nice for a whole range of riding. The main benefit is the 120mm front travel, which is perfect along with the 110mm rear travel which can be locked out to 70mm via a lever on the bars. Great for stiffening up the rear end on the go!

adaib

Likes Dirt
True, if your'e sitting like Mary Poppins, and hunching your back over, try sliding your saddle back like pinkbike says (or getting a longer stem) and bending at the hips and keeping your back straight.

I've got the current saddle as far back on the rails as possible and I've already put the maximum number of spacers in my fork steerer. However, I could try with a riser bar and a longer stem with more virtical rise. IF thats the problem.
Judging by that picture, the bent spine is in the upper back, which as my discomfort comes from the lower back, almost as far as you can go. Maybe its me interpreting the picture wrong, maybe not?

gadget1

Likes Dirt
it doesn't sound to me like you've had a proper bike fitting.

this is what i discovered when i had a fitting:-

Just sliding the seat back or forward may not be the answer.

you want to make sure that your seat and saddle are in the right relationship, this is not only related to saddle height (ie, the linear distance between your saddle and cranks), but also the fore-aft relationship between your saddle and cranks, as determined by the angle of your knee. (ie, this measurement is determined by the relationship between your hips and feet.)

only then should you determine the distance from your saddle to your bars -relative height and distance.

you should buy the frame size (and stem length and height) that gives you the figures you're after.

I did this and found knee and back issues disappear almost immediately. (which is why I'm always going on about it with my mates.)

If you're going to go through the process of getting a new frame i highly recommend going through this process with someone qualified.

Apparently there's all this biomechanical stuff about correct measurements for an individual, even though you might go slightly smaller for, say, for a DH bike over an XC bike.

you may even find you could live with your current bike by moving your saddle forward or back and adjusting stem length.

the guy i did mine with also showed me a few bike specific stretches.

cheers

adaib

Likes Dirt
Do you think my lbs could set the bike up correctly for me? Like with all that biomechanical stuff?

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Do you think my lbs could set the bike up correctly for me? Like with all that biomechanical stuff?
Some bike stores will offer this service, but in Melbourne it would be worth seeing Emma Colson at topbike physio Topbike.com.au

I haven't seen her myself but know plenty of people that have. The cost is pretty minor for the value of setting up your bike perfectly, and you will then have full measurements to use for all future bike setups

fergo

Likes Dirt
Some bike stores will offer this service, but in Melbourne it would be worth seeing Emma Colson at topbike physio Topbike.com.au

I haven't seen her myself but know plenty of people that have. The cost is pretty minor for the value of setting up your bike perfectly, and you will then have full measurements to use for all future bike setups
Emma is in Europe with her touring company until July. I only know this because I tried to book in with her and got her email this morning.

xc full sus

You will find just going to a larger frame and the full sus will get rid of your lower back pain as I found my lower back tired and sore on the hardtail but on the full sus it was gone and I didnt have a problem with frame size on the hardtail anyway. Go the full sus problem solved.