Stop digging in studley park!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
these kids are the new Nathan then.
no not really- chalk and cheese

Nathan built the pump track and then relentlessly maintained the all trails between Richmond and the Fairfield Boathouse. He didn't build any new trails/lines and didn't put a berm on every corner and a roller on every straight. He was active in the removal of rubbish and cleaned up many areas- pump track and Rehabilitation Hill. He also lobbied Parks and other stakeholders and had a great ("working") relationship with many local rangers.

The additional lines around the pump track are not well built and have created a massive mess. Using branches and logs to build up a corner/ berm is not best practise and there is little consideration to water runoff and environmental impact. They had done some maintenance on the pump track which was terrific but then built all these shitty little lines all over the space.

The main reason why we can't get any Parks collaboration to maintain the trails between Chandler and Richmond is due to a lack of Parks resources and due to the cultural significance of the area. If Parks had their way they would close the lot- to all users. They tolerate the main single track along the river but wont accept anything that links the Boulivard and the main ST

Seriously- you have no idea how close we are to losing access to all single track along the entire stretch. Parks don't have the resources/funds/time to police or manage these unauthorised trails and the easiest thing will be to simply fence it off.

Staunch

Eats Squid
They had done some maintenance on the pump track which was terrific but then built all these shitty little lines all over the space.
Not quite the case. Myself and a few other mates have been maintaining the PT for the last 7 years, pretty much any work that gets done there nowdays is from one of us.
As for all the other new lines, I couldn't tell you where they've come from. Never seen any kids actively dig them, just seem to rock up and find that a new shitty line has appeared from time to time.

Edit: Not trying to blow smoke up my own ass, just stating that whoever digs the new lines is pretty clueless and doesn't actually do anything productive.

Last edited:

robbieraver

Likes Dirt
Be careful staunch...im with big jd on this one..

I been around to see the trails closed to riders and fines been issued from PV if caught. The locals got right behind PV and took it a step further and made bike traps (read big holes with spikes covered and fishing line rider neck height).

We are just walking a thin line and we have these trails at our door step and what are we doing....taking a big steaming turd on our door step with constant "new lines"

ENJOY WHAT WE HAVE ITS NOT GOING TO LAST with our current attitude.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Be careful staunch...im with big jd on this one..

I been around to see the trails closed to riders and fines been issued from PV if caught. The locals got right behind PV and took it a step further and made bike traps (read big holes with spikes covered and fishing line rider neck height).

We are just walking a thin line and we have these trails at our door step and what are we doing....taking a big steaming turd on our door step with constant "new lines"

ENJOY WHAT WE HAVE ITS NOT GOING TO LAST with our current attitude.
Like I said, I have no idea what's going on with everything surrounding the PT. We touch the PT and the PT only.
Are you saying that even just maintaining the PT every now and again is too much?
I understand the issues regarding land conservation of the surrounding area/the rest of Yarra Bend, but where the pumptrack itself sits has 0 significance. It's the remains of landfill dumping, the ground is full of old bricks/boulders/wiring/glass.
I also understand that any digging in the area sheds a negative light, but also it's not as if there's any further destruction of land or fauna. Yes, in the ideal scenario for Parks the area would be abandoned and as a result it would get overgrown and forgotten, but in reality that's not going to happen. It gets ridden by people every day regardless of condition and weather. Surely it's better to have a safer, clean, nicer looking area than something that's rough as guts and is constantly further and further eroded and destroyed.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
#robbierager

Staunch, don't expect common sense from the authorities. We have precious state forest or national park that must be protected here as well...but ~30 years ago (and probably more like 20) it was a tip. Building rubble, garbage, asbestos, burnt out cars...asked them for a garbage bin recently as the squids and lazy power riders leave shit everywhere. They said no. Clearly caring a lot about the space.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
#robbierager

Staunch, don't expect common sense from the authorities. We have precious state forest or national park that must be protected here as well...but ~30 years ago (and probably more like 20) it was a tip. Building rubble, garbage, asbestos, burnt out cars...asked them for a garbage bin recently as the squids and lazy power riders leave shit everywhere. They said no. Clearly caring a lot about the space.
NPWS no longer provides bins given that the on park research has demonstrated that providing bins leads to more rubbish not less.

Plus emptying bins is expensive. Especially when your reserve management budget might be less than ten grand per annum.

If you want something badly enough then learn to look after it yourselves in cooperation with land managers. Or be prepared to pay for someone else to do it and suck up the price of entry.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That is pretty much what they said to me. It is like you have read the internal memo...

Absolute shame that this is the case. Humans can be pretty fucked. How hard is it to put your rubbish in a bin or take it home? It's not like you're being asked to take your turds home...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
i lobbied Parks for 12 months for a bin to be put in at the new seat below the pumptrack that over looks the Childrens Farm and City. The amount of rubbish there is insane. Their response was that they could not afford to have it emptied as it was outside the picnic area and would require an addition cost.
Why put in a lovely new seat ?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Not quite the case. Myself and a few other mates have been maintaining the PT for the last 7 years, pretty much any work that gets done there nowdays is from one of us.
As for all the other new lines, I couldn't tell you where they've come from. Never seen any kids actively dig them, just seem to rock up and find that a new shitty line has appeared from time to time.

Edit: Not trying to blow smoke up my own ass, just stating that whoever digs the new lines is pretty clueless and doesn't actually do anything productive.

Don't mean to belittle your efforts on the Pump track over the past few years. It is looking great and the original builder would be stoked that others have continued the work. I was under the thought that whoever had been working on the PT was also responsible for the additional lines in the area. If that is not the case then I'm sorry. The authorities will not distinguish between the good stuff and the bad and we will all be guilty by association.
I agree with you- those additional lines are crap.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Don't mean to belittle your efforts on the Pump track over the past few years. It is looking great and the original builder would be stoked that others have continued the work. I was under the thought that whoever had been working on the PT was also responsible for the additional lines in the area. If that is not the case then I'm sorry. The authorities will not distinguish between the good stuff and the bad and we will all be guilty by association.
I agree with you- those additional lines are crap.
That's alright, just wanted to make a clarification to avoid any possible unnecessary confrontations in the future, mainly for the boys who lend a hand who don't use RB. That being said, unfortunately we can't actually control who decided to rock up and throw a shovel around, but from our end of things work there will be kept to a minimum in regards to the current circumstances.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Well look what happened. Pump track and other trails nearby shut down by Parks Vic. You simply cannot build jumps or features on PV land without consequences. Not saying agree with it but along the Yarra trails is has been the way for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stirk

Burner
Well look what happened. Pump track and other trails nearby shut down by Parks Vic. You simply cannot build jumps or features on PV land without consequences. Not saying agree with it but along the Yarra trails is has been the way for a while

Jebus what is that feature trying to be?!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
we were warned and now it is completely lost. Expect to see many more trail closures.

RoscoeP

Likes Bikes
I went up to the PT last week and was greeted with the image posted above. Honestly this sucks and is a massive loss as I really enjoyed having a convenient spot in the inner city to work on the skills. The kids enjoyed it too.

I only found this thread when trying to find out "what went wrong".

What really sucks is that this is a really heavy-handed way of dealing with the issues of new lines being built and increased disturbance in the area - but I guess if you have a bunch of people who won't listen, then it is amazing how quickly something that has been an asset for years can be completely ruined for all.

I just hope that the rest of the trails along the yarra are not set for the same fate...

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Rode there today and people have moved all the logs off the jumps lines but the Pump track is still fucked as PV got into it with tools to destroy it. Makes me fucking angry

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Parks destroyed the pump track because of the digging, jumps and berms around the area. They asked you to stop with signage for over 6 months. Many locals also asked you to stop. You selfish fuckers didnt stop and the entire area is now a complete no go.
When your peers and land managers ask you to stop digging on public land and you dont- what does that say about you? When they close a shitty little trail and you open it again so you can hit a 2 foot jump to flat- what are you thinking? Piss off and build your shitty little lines on your own land.

There are people working with Parks to ensure we have single track in the area but we are so close to loosing the lot.

ABSOLUTELY NO DIGGING BETWEEN RICHMOND AND CHANDLER AND RESPECT ALL TRAIL CLOSURES

If you see any berms or jumps appear- dismantle them. If you see that a line has been reopened- please close it. If you know of people building stuff in the area- get word to them- it has to stop. If you are caught digging- you will be prosecuted by Parks.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
2 foot to flat? I don't believe it. Any chance there's a video of someone going big off this monster?

Sucks to see you guys have lost out. Hopefully a workable outcome is achieved.