strive or spectral

JimmyL

Squid
I've just taken delivery of my new Canyon Spectral CF 8.0 Ex.
Coming from a 160mm SB6, I hear ya from a climbing (and non-decending trail) perspective.

I was chasing that sweet spot of ~67 Deg HA and 74 Deg SA as I reckon that's the go for 90% of the riding that I do.
I already feel quicker on general, fast flowing single track, switchbacks and AM type trails as well as the climbing aspect. Not as much wandering with the slacker HA (65.5) on the Yeti.
That said, the pedalling platform of the Yeti is better, and I have noticeably more pedal bob on the Spectral when chomping on the pedals.

I can also definitely feel the difference in stability between the Spectral and the SB6 on rougher, more technical decents, but that's the 10% (or less) of my riding that suits the Yeti.
Finish is not quite as good on the Canyon as the Yeti either, but for a factory mass produced frame that's 1/2 the price I wasn't expecting a boutique finish.

As for sizing, I'm a solid Medium in everything. @173cm with a longer torso and shorter legs, the Canyon is more cramped than the Yeti. Saying that, the Yeti is a long Enduro bike. Canyon (with the shorter cockpit) is a lot more flickable and responsive to rider input.... and I'm really loving that.

I'm surprised you say you're a medium on a SC, they're size up pretty small!

Overall, I'm really happy with the Spectral. A little more time to get it set up and dialled in, I'm sure it'll have more to give.

I cant comment on the Strive as I've never ridden one, but It does have the shapeshifter that can tighten everything up. I decided that I don't actually need a Enduro race bike to enjoy riding (having been thought that by riding my hardtail more).
The Switchblade is also an interesting bike, but you're looking at a different price bracket in comparison to the Canyons (unless you go all out on the Team Race specs), and if I was spending that kind of money, I'd buy a Yeti SB5.5

Mate thanks so much for your advice, I think you are right I'd be a Large at 179cm - even though they recommend an M for my dimensions when you enter it into their site.

I've been exactly the same, really my decision came down to a few bikes:

SPECTRAL 9.0 EX - amazing build kit, unique company doing something different,
NORCO SIGHT C7.1 - missed out on the last of them in Large, but similar geo/build to 2016 spectrals.
YETI SB5C - The XT build is $9700, and the Eagle build is $10,500!!!! WTF!!!
PIVOT SWITCHBACK - something different perhaps? a Do it all rig? but with a price tag!

I know that the SB5C is probably the bomb, but at $4k more than the Spectral for the same build, I just can't justify it, let alone owning a $10,500 bike that'll never be able to be sold for anything over $6.
I'm chasing the sweet spot too, my last bike (the Intense Tracer 275C) was 160/160 with 66.5 HA 74.5 SA, but the 160 was really overkill for all the riding I do.
And I ride all over BC Canada, north america, buller, etc. I love shredding DH trails, long alpine descents, and big days in the saddle,
HOWEVER I pedal to get to them, and rarely ever ride a Bike Park or hit jumps.
I like steep, flowy, techy tight singletrack - and coming off a 160/160 bike I realised the 160 up front is rad, but I don't need it in the rear.
It made for a sloppy slow bike going through up & down techy terrain, getting caught up in the travel.

So hence, I think the Spectral 150/140 type bike would suit me well.
I recently rode with a guy in Whistler who did a Heli drop with me, he was shredding on the 150/140 Norco Sight and killed it - so That's where I'm at.

I think the big "enduro" bikes are a blast going down, but man I love feeling light and punchy on the climbs as much as descending so there needs to be a balance for me.

JimmyL

Squid
Sizing

If you're in Melbourne, I believe the Canyon guys there do test rides - I just bought the largest size I could, so not fussed. I am not sure what the arrangement is in other places.
Awesome, I'll see if they have a demo/test or something as I am in Melbourne.
Yep, I border on M and L, and it's always a tough choice, so bike dependant.
I'm leaning towards the Large though even though i'm 179 and Large technically starts from 181... it's so close.

Moocow

Cannon Fodder
Awesome, I'll see if they have a demo/test or something as I am in Melbourne.
Yep, I border on M and L, and it's always a tough choice, so bike dependant.
I'm leaning towards the Large though even though i'm 179 and Large technically starts from 181... it's so close.
I'm the same height as you, I went with the L, which was recommended by the Melbourne Canyon guys. Very happy with the Strive!

Strive XC mode

What is the Strive like for climbing when in XC mode?

I'm coming from a 2013 TRANCE X 29ER 0 but am looking for something with more travel and more stable / confidence inspiring on the downhills, but still ride to the top of most trails.

I'm currently looking at a 2016 Strive CF 9.0 race as a do-it-all bike. How would this cope with up hill climbs such as Packhorse at Falls Creek or the Epic trail at Buller?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
My son has a 2017 Strive AL 6.0 Race, and he's yet to meet a climb he can't leave me for dead on.

Fit little bastard.

It's an absolute beast on downhills too. So he tells me. I'm always so far behind I can't see what he's doing.

padams10003

Likes Dirt

I'm coming from a 2013 TRANCE X 29ER 0 but am looking for something with more travel and more stable / confidence inspiring on the downhills, but still ride to the top of most trails.

I'm currently looking at a 2016 Strive CF 9.0 race as a do-it-all bike. How would this cope with up hill climbs such as Packhorse at Falls Creek or the Epic trail at Buller?
I went from a 2015 Trance 1 to a 2017 Strive CF 7.0 Race.

The Strive in 130mm mode is better on the flats and climbs and probably about the same on descents. In 160mm mode the descents are no comparison.

I'm not looking to fly up any climbs, but I have found that it more than does the job (especially for a 160mm bike).

BT180

Max Pfaff

I have the 2016 CF9.0 Race and although it won't win races up hills, considering how well it descends, it really is a great climber. Handles all the technical, rocky, rooty climbs with ease and there's nothing I can't get up. There is a noticeable difference between XC and DH mode. Very tight switchbacks can be more of a challenge, but you get used to how the bike behaves and you can adjust your weight accordingly, so you can make it around most corners.

Not sure what the trails are like that you mentioned, but one thing is that if you do a lot of climbing, I'd recommend changing the 34 tooth ring to a 32.

Z

Zaf

I really love the Strive Shapeshifter for technical climbs. The bike just sits up it's a matter of spinning legs and pointing it in the right direction. That said, I'm finding as I use it more I don't use it as a "trail mode" setting that I can switch between, even for the tight corners I prefer it to be in DH mode and then just muscle it through. It's an extremely well mannered bike and responds beautifully to rider input.

I'm actually curious as to how it rides with the rockshox suspension package. The Race CF 9.0 I got is running 170mm Fox 36's and the Float X Evol, it's not only a longer travel fork but the Fox 36's generally run a less sag than the Pikes (I run 18-20% on mine, compared to a 25-27% on Pikes I've owned). I recently switched my Stumpy over from a Pike RCT3 140mm to a Fox 36 HSC/LSC 150mm and the change it had to steering input and front end control was noticeable.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I really love the Strive Shapeshifter for technical climbs. The bike just sits up it's a matter of spinning legs and pointing it in the right direction. That said, I'm finding as I use it more I don't use it as a "trail mode" setting that I can switch between, even for the tight corners I prefer it to be in DH mode and then just muscle it through. It's an extremely well mannered bike and responds beautifully to rider input.

I'm actually curious as to how it rides with the rockshox suspension package. The Race CF 9.0 I got is running 170mm Fox 36's and the Float X Evol, it's not only a longer travel fork but the Fox 36's generally run a less sag than the Pikes (I run 18-20% on mine, compared to a 25-27% on Pikes I've owned). I recently switched my Stumpy over from a Pike RCT3 140mm to a Fox 36 HSC/LSC 150mm and the change it had to steering input and front end control was noticeable.
Strange - I often find I prefer to run it in XC mode for general trails, and don't use the DH mode all that much for trails that don't have any big drops or jumps. Love that feeling when you click down into DH mode for a long run down though!

Z

Zaf

Strange - I often find I prefer to run it in XC mode for general trails, and don't use the DH mode all that much for trails that don't have any big drops or jumps. Love that feeling when you click down into DH mode for a long run down though!
I made the same comment the first time I used it. You kind of load in, and the bike returns in it's travel but sits so much lower. Just wants to go!!!
I find I wash the front when I leave it in the XC mode on descents (even small, non burly ones), and I just don't seem to have that occur when I leave it in DH mode. Probably a quirk of riding style and terrain, and it was replacing my Yeti SB66c, which did like a bit of man-handling through corners. The way that XC mode clears technical terrain is nuts though, my Stumpy does an amazingly good job at climbing, but there's a certain ease in which the Strive gets up and over stuff that's really hard to ignore.

I'm fairly sold on the Strive as a trail bike because of that utility, it prefers some speed on it, but it's manners are impeccable. Also, threaded BB is a huge plus, and if you want more of a trail bike, BikeYoke do a modefixxer that can set it to a spot between the Shapeshifter's XC and DH modes. It's not an easy choice between the two.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Yeah, the main benefit of XC mode for me is definitely BB clearance and fewer pedal strikes in rocky areas. Anything remotely DH though and I'll switch into DH mode as it's just so much more fun.

Actually, yesterday I left it in XC mode on a bit of a DH section and copped a pretty big g-out down a rock and into a small creek crossing. It's part of a longer climb, hence leaving it in the XC setting. Heard a 'thunk' and thought it must have been my shock bottoming out. Checked the ring on the shock and that wasn't it. Continued riding and then noticed a while later that in XC mode, the SS started working its way into DH mode. Then later in DH mode is started slowly creeping into XC mode. Not sure if I blew a seal or something. Haven't gotten around to checking the pressure in the SS yet, but hopefully it's not something serious!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Yeah, the main benefit of XC mode for me is definitely BB clearance and fewer pedal strikes in rocky areas. Anything remotely DH though and I'll switch into DH mode as it's just so much more fun.

Actually, yesterday I left it in XC mode on a bit of a DH section and copped a pretty big g-out down a rock and into a small creek crossing. It's part of a longer climb, hence leaving it in the XC setting. Heard a 'thunk' and thought it must have been my shock bottoming out. Checked the ring on the shock and that wasn't it. Continued riding and then noticed a while later that in XC mode, the SS started working its way into DH mode. Then later in DH mode is started slowly creeping into XC mode. Not sure if I blew a seal or something. Haven't gotten around to checking the pressure in the SS yet, but hopefully it's not something serious!

Kapten

Squid
I've had my Strive for about a year now. Did a lot of research before buying regarding ss and what one suspension tech said in a forum was as the ss will break (blow seals) if get repeated hard hits as it doesn't' work as a shock, it locks out in two modes. That's why shocks these days don't have lock out, but a "firm" setting that doesn't fully lock out.
I've been very careful not to descend on rougher trails (or any descend) in XC mode and my ss works as good today as it did when new. But then again I pretty much always ride it in DH mode much more fun, only in XC on long climbs.