Stromlo Upgrade approved

peanut

Likes Dirt
Vapour is quite a good trail. It is mostly for advanced level riders though, with not much on offer in between p-lines and pro-lines. I saw plenty of riders on it over the weekend, and most were p-liners. The trail is a big step up from Hero as far as balls to the wall. I think some wider appeal wouldn't hurt and would also keep less skilled riders out of the way on trails like vapour.

There is plenty of space on the mountain for trails, jumps, berms, and so on. One could easily see a redwoods style park being well suited to the space. For me shuttles trumps gondola for both up front investment, ongoing maintenance, and rider cost per day/up. Plenty of people travel domestically and internationally to ride Redwoods and Derby, which I feel shows upper for such a set up.

What is Canberra airport like for tourism?
There is plenty of room on the hill but the Biggest hurdle to expansion is the "other" user group on the hill.
If the original multi skill jump line route ever goes ahead, it will likely be the longest descending trail(s) out there.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
then got forbid the dreaded dog walkers on the trails.
Oh, they're already there. Almost hit one about 3 weeks back.

There is plenty of room on the hill but the Biggest hurdle to expansion is the "other" user group on the hill.
If you're talking about the equinists, I'm yet to come across a single one of them in all the years (4) that I've been riding there.

microRobbie

Likes Bikes
Id rather money spent remaking blue range or building an epic trail in the brindies. We acctually have the vertical potential of places like Thredbo and some of tbe Victorian destinations and Im sure a similar trail network in the ACT would attract interstate visitors like Thredbo etc. Imagine descending from 1200m (or higher- Coree is ~1500m) to the cotter (where the pub used to be) at 450m. Now that would be something.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Id rather money spent remaking blue range or building an epic trail in the brindies. We acctually have the vertical potential of places like Thredbo and some of tbe Victorian destinations and Im sure a similar trail network in the ACT would attract interstate visitors like Thredbo etc. Imagine descending from 1200m (or higher- Coree is ~1500m) to the cotter (where the pub used to be) at 450m. Now that would be something.
I was out at Tidbinbilla the other weekend with the kids, and driving there along the cotter rd was marvelling at the landscape thinking there could be some amazing single track out in them thar hills...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Agreed, beautiful area with monumental riding potential. Kind of place I'd love to do a couple of overnight two-wheeled treks if the trails existed.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
then got forbid the dreaded dog walkers on the trails.
Already happened. SFP posted on their FB page a few days ago reminding everyone that the single trails are mtb specific. Its ridiculous that it needs to be said but I have come across young families etc walking down skyline. So bloody dangerous

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If the original multi skill jump line route ever goes ahead, it will likely be the longest descending trail(s) out there.
Oh, they're already there. Almost hit one about 3 weeks back.

If you're talking about the equinists, I'm yet to come across a single one of them in all the years (4) that I've been riding there.
Already happened. SFP posted on their FB page a few days ago reminding everyone that the single trails are mtb specific. Its ridiculous that it needs to be said but I have come across young families etc walking down skyline. So bloody dangerous
Other users...look at those jerks wanting space! Horse riders are a special breed, can't they stay home and love their horses in private? Less chance of getting caught. Dog walkers don't often have a lot of common sense. The main thing about other users though is that they don't seem to view mountain bike riding as a legitimate adult activity...and those that do it are just outstanding control hooligans!

Shinigami

Likes Dirt
I run into them semi regularly, just call out so they know you're there then let them on their way, had worked well for me so far.

To date my worst experiences at Stromlo have been people riding the wrong way on tracks

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, had a guy on something like an old huffy riding up Western Wedgetail once.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yeah me too - I was lucky they jumped in time when I yelled at them, there was no way I'd have stopped in time....

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
I dearly dislike the stromlo masterplan, it totally stinks of 'I'm a cashed up property developer, I want a new porsche and hey - oh, yeah my mate in the ACT planning department said something about needing PDR win... '. So, so many ways to achieve the same goals without pulling down recovering forests...

A little cafe and a bike shop would be nice if done well, and some sensitive accomodation... the rest can go jam itself. Would vastly prefer more trees and more trails

time to move out to the brindies, and figure out how to harness the power of motorbikers for good (hey, could you go shred the shit out of this GPS route for a week or two? boom. Instant singletrack! :) ) but not trail wrecking...

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
johnny
Yeah, had a guy on something like an old huffy riding up Western Wedgetail once.
Some better signage would be good. I was there once on my own and had no idea if I was going up the up trail or up the down. It was pouring rain and empty so I had no one to follow. Worked it out in the end but it was confusing for a noob. :noidea:
No horses or dog walkers but at least five near misses with kangaroos sitting in the middle of the trails.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Well, not trying to be a dick but here's some advice "for a noob"; stay off the trails in the wet. It ruts them up, causes puddles and/or causes erosion, etc. getting caught out by rain happens, but it should be avoided where possible.

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
johnny
Well, not trying to be a dick but here's some advice "for a noob"; stay off the trails in the wet. It ruts them up, causes puddles and/or causes erosion, etc. getting caught out by rain happens, but it should be avoided where possible.
Point taken.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
The Stromlo Forest Park masterplan includes retail facilities in the precinct, as well as playing fields and a gondola operating from the car park to the peak of Mount Stromlo. The Government will be providing these investments over the coming years, with the Westside structure providing temporary facilities until these investments are made.
You can't stop progress hey. I wonder how the new shuttle service feels about the gondola development? Maybe Govt. could subsidise them for their initiative, and give us cheaper prices, instead of building infrastructure on a tiny molehill which you could otherwise just pedal up.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
You can't stop progress hey. I wonder how the new shuttle service feels about the gondola development? Maybe Govt. could subsidise them for their initiative, and give us cheaper prices, instead of building infrastructure on a tiny molehill which you could otherwise just pedal up.
I think we need to seriously redefine 'progress' here. My definition is clearly different from the ACT government. The masterplan is more of the same old shite (IMO) - real progress would be to:
- let the trees take stromlo back, so we can build more awesome trails! If we let it be, stromlo will end up an awesome grassy woodland and an amazing 'urban wilderness' asset.
- use all the cash set aside to build new playing fields to make better use of existing ones (a quick search shows 434 sportsgrounds already exist in Canberra! Not to mention there are already-bulldozed areas right next to the new suburbs at Stromlo that could be used if they really need a playing field next door)
- build some location-sensitive amenities, maybe a single storey cafe/bike + run store, and use some existing cleared space to put in more sensitive accomodation. Yes! Some done-well services would be awesome at Strommers. Sweet little bushland awesomeness.
- drop the gondola. Stromlo is a pimple with already a great road up it and a shuttle service. Sometimes you have to wait a few minutes for road riders, in which case a waaambulance service could be on the cards m ;)

I've put this in writing to various government folks, whether anyone gives a shit is doubtful. Someone sees developer $$, and it's handed to the 'community' as a fait accompli. Progress my stinky hairy arse. I've probably already told the same story here over and over. *sigh* Old guy yells at clouds...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
This is the local council (its not a state, and its not deserving of credit or prestige above a fucking city council FFS... Bloody Canberra and its delusions of relevance....) we are dealing with, so dont expect logic.

Way too many people here think public transport is the devil and robot cars will save them... :der:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
My comment about progress was very tongue in cheek :)

Generally agree with you, I'd rather see the money go towards removing the volunteer and left over pines, and re-vegetating where possible.

Linking up Stromlo with the Arboretum (I'm not sure how this is at the moment?) could provide an incredible network for rides that go through bushland and "forest" in the years to come.

I think we need to seriously redefine 'progress' here. My definition is clearly different from the ACT government. The masterplan is more of the same old shite (IMO) - real progress would be to:
- let the trees take stromlo back, so we can build more awesome trails! If we let it be, stromlo will end up an awesome grassy woodland and an amazing 'urban wilderness' asset.
- use all the cash set aside to build new playing fields to make better use of existing ones (a quick search shows 434 sportsgrounds already exist in Canberra! Not to mention there are already-bulldozed areas right next to the new suburbs at Stromlo that could be used if they really need a playing field next door)
- build some location-sensitive amenities, maybe a single storey cafe/bike + run store, and use some existing cleared space to put in more sensitive accomodation. Yes! Some done-well services would be awesome at Strommers. Sweet little bushland awesomeness.
- drop the gondola. Stromlo is a pimple with already a great road up it and a shuttle service. Sometimes you have to wait a few minutes for road riders, in which case a waaambulance service could be on the cards m ;)

I've put this in writing to various government folks, whether anyone gives a shit is doubtful. Someone sees developer $$, and it's handed to the 'community' as a fait accompli. Progress my stinky hairy arse. I've probably already told the same story here over and over. *sigh* Old guy yells at clouds...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
This is the local council (its not a state, and its not deserving of credit or prestige above a fucking city council FFS... Bloody Canberra and its delusions of relevance....) we are dealing with, so dont expect logic.

Way too many people here think public transport is the devil and robot cars will save them... :der:
I think you are way too over-critical (lol, newsflash!!).

Yes, there is a lot of silly shit that goes on here, like that white elephant walking street upgrade in the middle of Civic or how long the GDE or Monaro upgrades took to complete. HOWEVER, look at what you're complaining about; a huge bike park that is provided for your enjoyment. Sure, they don't have it 100% right for you but they may do for many others. They've also provided Majura and Tuggeranong trails, they've sanctioned and supported Bruce Ridge. The Territory govt supports same sex marriage, helps asylum seekers and shit, if you like to paint graffiti, here's a whole bunch of walls you can knock yourself out with! Not to mention that the roads in Canberra are excellent and for a population this size the public transport is not too bad at all.

You act like they can't get anything right, I think you are just a negative person as this is a pretty damned good place to live and MTBers especially have it very, very good here in Canberra.