Stromlo Upgrade approved

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think you are way too over-critical (lol, newsflash!!).

Yes, there is a lot of silly shit that goes on here, like that white elephant walking street upgrade in the middle of Civic or how long the GDE or Monaro upgrades took to complete. HOWEVER, look at what you're complaining about; a huge bike park that is provided for your enjoyment. Sure, they don't have it 100% right for you but they may do for many others. They've also provided Majura and Tuggeranong trails, they've sanctioned and supported Bruce Ridge. The Territory govt supports same sex marriage, helps asylum seekers and shit, if you like to paint graffiti, here's a whole bunch of walls you can knock yourself out with! Not to mention that the roads in Canberra are excellent and for a population this size the public transport is not too bad at all.

You act like they can't get anything right, I think you are just a negative person as this is a pretty damned good place to live and MTBers especially have it very, very good here in Canberra.
It is still a small city rather than a territory though...but I understand the concept of wanting it to be independent of any particular state government. It is very hard to get coffee in the cbd on a Sunday. It drove me nuts! In previous life visiting Canberra for work wasn't too bad, good coffee was easy to find while everyone was at work.

The roads are great, what is public transport like during the working times? It was pretty grim on the long weekend.

And how wierd is that new looking development near Stromlo! It seemed so planked...

And the fucking water spout!!!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It is very hard to get coffee in the cbd on a Sunday. It drove me nuts! In previous life visiting Canberra for work wasn't too bad, good coffee was easy to find while everyone was at work.
Dude, you gotta up your shopping game. I spend many of my Sunday afternoons reading in cafes in Civic and Bradden (as well as Lynam, New Acton, etc.). Seriously, I can name 4 cafes that are packed on Sundays until like 2-3pm, all within 200m of each other in the centre of Civic. I really am lost for an explanation how you could possibly say that.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Dude, you gotta up your shopping game. I spend many of my Sunday afternoons reading in cafes in Civic and Bradden (as well as Lynam, New Acton, etc.). Seriously, I can name 4 cafes that are packed on Sundays until like 2-3pm, all within 200m of each other in the centre of Civic. I really am lost for an explanation how you could possibly say that.
I can say it because I was stuck wandering around for about an hour in desperate need of caffeine to fend off a killer headache. When I finally found somewhere, the floor staff treated us like an inconvenience and the coffee was terrible. This was a continued then across the weekend.

Don't get me wrong I came to Canberra in good spirits and grand expectations. Perhaps the long weekend was to blame for the most part as a lot of people may have taken the chance to shut up and head away. I'll be back though, in the spirit of reconciliation and forgiveness.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
You act like they can't get anything right, I think you are just a negative person as this is a pretty damned good place to live and MTBers especially have it very, very good here in Canberra.
They get no more or less right than any other largish local government. The investment in MTB trails is good, but not unique - its a good earner so many cities are doing it.

It has good mountain biking that mostly helps me stay sane-ish, but its not a very nice place to live. Its not horrible either really, its just a nothing town.

Haakon

Anyway, not the time for another fun canberra blows rant.

I do think any money thrown at Stromlo isn't a bad thing as such, and if some amenities gets more punters and noobs in and the sport grows that probably means more money in the long run for trails etc.

Gondola still seems silly though... Surely there are animal rescue centres that need money?

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
They get no more or less right than any other largish local government. The investment in MTB trails is good, but not unique - its a good earner so many cities are doing it.

It has good mountain biking that mostly helps me stay sane-ish, but its not a very nice place to live. Its not horrible either really, its just a nothing town.
I actually like living in the berra, its one of two capital cities in Au I'd settle in, the other being hobart. But then, my life revolves around canberra's urban wild spaces with a young family in tow, and the city is some place other people go.

Hence my disapproval of the planningfuhrers removing even more of what makes Canberra actually good and liveable. I guess it makes my choice of where to live easier :/ And yep, Adelaide is rapidly catching or maybe even overtaking Canberra as a traily place. The downside is mostly you need a car or legs of titanium to access the radness, it's unliveably hot most of the year, too far from great rocks and snow and bike commuting either sucks or is plain dangerous. Only one tick from 5. However, it's worth visiting just for fox creek...

Haakon

I actually like living in the berra, its one of two capital cities in Au I'd settle in, the other being hobart. But then, my life revolves around canberra's urban wild spaces with a young family in tow, and the city is some place other people go.

Hence my disapproval of the planningfuhrers removing even more of what makes Canberra actually good and liveable. I guess it makes my choice of where to live easier :/ And yep, Adelaide is rapidly catching or maybe even overtaking Canberra as a traily place. The downside is mostly you need a car or legs of titanium to access the radness, it's unliveably hot most of the year, too far from great rocks and snow and bike commuting either sucks or is plain dangerous. Only one tick from 5. However, it's worth visiting just for fox creek...
Jesus - how do you compare the awesome of Hobart with this dump in one breath...?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, I do too. Sydney and Melbourne are too congested for me now. If I'm going to do city life again it's going to be somewhere like HK, London, Shanghai, Jakarta, Berlin, etc. Until then, Canberra is relaxed, safe, progressive, green, good roads, excellent trails, top notch beer and very active for my profession. I certainly prefer CBR govt over NSW/Syd govt., not a single doubt about that!!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I've lived in Melbourne, Adelaide and Hobart before here. Canberra definitely a great place to live. I love Melbourne for the life I had there (pubs, cafes, footy, arts) but I couldn't live there again. Its way too congested to get in and out of, and you need to live either miles from the city or miles from the trails. I travel there a bit for work and get my fix though.

Adelaide is also getting pretty awful traffic with the crazy north-south sprawl and only a couple of main roads feeding in. Its also too bloody hot in summer.

Hobart is somewhere I would definitely jump at to live again - but jobs there are pretty scarce. Still, I always keep an eye out for positions there.

Canberra doesn't have a lot of character, and I think thats why it gets bagged - but its still a great place to live. I'm only 15 mins from Stromlo and Majura and I can commute on almost entirely bike paths and trails to get to work. Absolutely no traffic is great too. And its so easy to just pop out to a winery or go for a hike when you feel like it. Cafe scene here is ok, but apart from Braddon, its not concentrated in any one place - you need to find them nestled in suburbs. Kinda sucks for interstate visitors I guess, but they are around. I have to say I do miss pubs and live music though. Thats one thing I need to go to Syd or Melb for.

Not sure if I'll stay here forever, but given how much I love being on my bike, I'd take Canberra over the other capitals, except Hobart.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Jesus - how do you compare the awesome of Hobart with this dump in one breath...?
I didn't compare.. just mentioned :) I lived in Hobart for about 5yrs. Soon after I first arrived I remember going to a party and someone asked 'isn't hobart the best place in the world?'. I thought for a bit and said 'no' because holy shit, if I could find a way to work revelstoke or la grave or by lake garda or literally hundreds of gobsmacklingly amazing places I would. My social life in Hobart ended right about then...

I'd move back if I were paid enough to go skiing in Japan or someplace awesome every year, it's about the only tick missing... and the organ pipes are rad (although mtb trail variety also needs work and cycle commuting especially on sandy bay road is really taking your life in some crazy car driver's hands)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Mmmmmm...that snow! Every year when people get themselves into a jazzing frenzy about pissing money away at the Australian ice fields I start planning my next visit to Japan.

Back to topic though and...I really did like how close everything seemed and the lack of traffic. It seemed at most anywhere you wanted to drive was only 10-15 minutes away.

On site at Stromlo I think one of the key wins achieved by having somewhere comfy and relaxing, such as a cafe, is that parents can bring their kids out for a pedal and if they aren't the type to ride they can kick back for a bit while the kids are punching some laps.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
It will be interesting to see what kind of cafe they get. Will be the family friendly kinda joint with big breakfasts and too-hot cappuccinos (like your run of the mill places in Gunghalin and Tuggeranong), or cater to the coffee snobs (e.g. Ona or 2 before 10 - decent roasters in Canberra) which is every 2nd cyclist, and show off some of the local beers and wine too?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Why not a mix of both?

Just because, I guess.

Do those dirt jumps ever get used? In all the years I've only ever seen them ridden once. Set up a nice cafe/lunch spot there with a bit of a view and it won't be reliant on park users for patronage.

Haakon

Have seen a few events being held on the dirt jumps there, lots of cars and bunting etc. Its pretty niche though I guess so not used much overall.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Theres a jam backbone host every year, they get a good run then. Its a small dedicated bmx community that uses them, there not exactly a forgiving set to learn on. Do recommend watching the jam when it's on, the guys kill it

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Why not a mix of both?

Just because, I guess.

Do those dirt jumps ever get used? In all the years I've only ever seen them ridden once. Set up a nice cafe/lunch spot there with a bit of a view and it won't be reliant on park users for patronage.
why not coffee snobs for the masses :) and yeah. set up just uphill and to the right of wattle happen (looking up) from the dirt jumps would be pretty rad - deck + view, able to watch the skilled folk send it to the stratosphere when they use the big jumps (yes, it's a-freakin-mazing to watch), stick a proper pump track in between for the big and little kids and sorting your fresh suspension tune from the bike shop there.

There might be a 150m walk from the carpark and the criterionistas would complain but meh. if you want to watch crit racing you should have to suffer.

...but no, the master plan has a coffee shop in a mini strip mall where the crit track is now (or in flattened currently-regenerating bush closer to the burbs? can't recall)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It will be interesting to see what kind of cafe they get. Will be the family friendly kinda joint with big breakfasts and too-hot cappuccinos (like your run of the mill places in Gunghalin and Tuggeranong), or cater to the coffee snobs (e.g. Ona or 2 before 10 - decent roasters in Canberra) which is every 2nd cyclist, and show off some of the local beers and wine too?
Why not a mix of both?

Just because, I guess.
Based on the number of cars/people and diversity I observed, more than one provider is the only way to go. Several reasons spring to mind but the main two are both about service. I would not want to wait more than 10 minutes and likely 30-45 for coffee/food as the only small cafe on site isn't able to pump out brews fast enough (likely because the owner who is never there expects their cafe to be ran on a skeleton crew to reduce the wages expense and facilitate a nicer Audi). I've worked in a shit hole where customers would wait 45+ minutes just to get a seat! Then additional 45+ minutes waiting to get their food. It is shit for everyone. As a worker I'd hate to be under that kind of pressure too, no time to focus on quality output and customer service. And competition is good for business as is offering variety. Not many parents want to drop $15-20 per kid's breakfast/lunch on a day out ad if coffee/food is shit not many people will buy twice, eventually leaving the site empty and sad.

It's a difficult balance to achieve and will likely come back to the cost of being there. If the cost is appropriate to the reality of the location then there is a better chance of good outcomes all round. There could even be merit in just making a food truck friendly area and trying to encourage that approach rather than a big infrastructure investment.

Those jumps are fucking mad! Big air comps on them would be rather exciting to watch. I was a bit sad that there wasn't a lot of variety for us mere mortals on the dirt jumps. I found some terrible noob lines at the bottom of the playground and of course what is left of the 4x track. Jumps are easy and cheap (comparatively) to build and deliver so much fun! I'd love to see a bunch of skill/confidence building jumps on offer and the 4x track rebirthed. That is the kind of shit I will waste many hours, but also a great addition to a day of riding.

why not coffee snobs for the masses :) and yeah. set up just uphill and to the right of wattle happen (looking up) from the dirt jumps would be pretty rad - deck + view, able to watch the skilled folk send it to the stratosphere when they use the big jumps (yes, it's a-freakin-mazing to watch), stick a proper pump track in between for the big and little kids and sorting your fresh suspension tune from the bike shop there.

There might be a 150m walk from the carpark and the criterionistas would complain but meh. if you want to watch crit racing you should have to suffer.

...but no, the master plan has a coffee shop in a mini strip mall where the crit track is now (or in flattened currently-regenerating bush closer to the burbs? can't recall)
Why not have at least one or more at the very top too? The view is freaking awesome and the variety of patrons is opened even further given all the non-mtb traffic up there! Vision is always lacking...usually when the lowest bidder gets the job for design.

Was there any rider/user input for this master plan? I believe there isn't enough consideration given to the way that ski fields are set out for locations like this.

Shinigami

Likes Dirt
Why not have at least one or more at the very top too? The view is freaking awesome and the variety of patrons is opened even further given all the non-mtb traffic up there! Vision is always lacking...usually when the lowest bidder gets the job for design.

Was there any rider/user input for this master plan? I believe there isn't enough consideration given to the way that ski fields are set out for locations like this.
You mean as in right at the top of Stromlo?

There's a cafe there, it's not bad. But I don't drink coffee so can't comment on that

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Another reason why I like Canberra: http://www.abc.net.au/news/specials...t-canberra-have-billboard-advertising/8622186

Although, I would support a reg that only allows hand painted signs!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Have seen a few events being held on the dirt jumps there, lots of cars and bunting etc. Its pretty niche though I guess so not used much overall.
Theres a jam backbone host every year, they get a good run then. Its a small dedicated bmx community that uses them, there not exactly a forgiving set to learn on. Do recommend watching the jam when it's on, the guys kill it
If they get used I wouldn't want to see them go. I just haven't been there at the right times, so it seems.