Stromlo Upgrade approved

Scotty T

Walks the walk
A (fit) workmate went up on the weekend on a cheap bike with semi slicks. I can't actually imagine how slow he must have been. He's keen to buy a real bike when he has some coin, I'm going to borrow something decent for him and go with him to keep him keen.

I too was a fan of that rocky line you are saying is now smooth, but I'll live without it. Def a weird bit of trail that seems to just link the two singletracks. Been mostly doing Wattle/Blackberry/Seymour/Heartbreaker lately to get up. Yet to get the last nasty on Heartbreaker to clean the lot.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Went up this morning, and found a lot of areas have been smoothed out since I was last there.

In the early bits of the climb some of switchbacks seem to have had rocks removed and the trail widened. A can kind of understand the main easy climb being made accessible, but would really prefer having more trail added instead. Certainly wasn’t maintaining eroded trail.

I also saw Haakon’s flattened rocks and it really is an odd one. Can’t help but think that there is some reason other than making it easier to ride, though I can’t fathom what it might be.

Pork Barrel and Double Dissolution are still good fun thankfully.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Hells bells, found the new Down the Rabbit Hole track today. And walked a bit of it, and took one look at the big drop and said hells no!

Something to work towards, but not without a full face and armour!!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Hells bells, found the new Down the Rabbit Hole track today. And walked a bit of it, and took one look at the big drop and said hells no!

It’s been there for a while, but I’m not surprised they don’t really advertise it prominently. I really feel like that should be the entry point to a trail network around the back of Stromlo. Getting a bit bored of the current loops.

safreek

Photos of the drop please

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Its more a big rock you can roll down the face of than a drop- if its the one I'm thinking of. You could probably send it, but I've not got the balls for that. Just need to commit, put yer bum back and you'll shoot out down the bottom of it.

World cup downhill has a bigger one, which is also rollable, but quite high and has a very fast exit.

Haakon

Big drop you say? I'm looking for a reason to drag my arse down there again...
Well, big roll down... Very steep quite tall rock wall, just after you land amongst rock from a rock jump. Looks like a good chute at the bottom and will be fun.

Maybe a bit much for the Trance, way too much for me!

Entry off the beginning of Western Wedgetail, must have ridding past it a bunch of times and never noticed it!

Haakon

Sounds rocky.
It’s a bit rocky. Also, there are rocks.

I suspect all those rock gardens I whinged about have been moved to this new trail and all put together they're somewhat "challenging". That'll learn me..

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Rode Stromers today, I too am unimpressed with some of the bike-pathing going on there.

Those new rollers on the main climb are pointless and better suited to a kiddies beginner trail.

Agree with Tubbsy, they need to develop out back into the more raw, techy area, which it pretty much is now. Just need MOAR!

Haakon

I wrote to the ACT government about this a while ago, and was essentially told they’re just conforming to the guidelines as to what constitutes a green trail.

The most recent work was also in response to damage and their idea is that the fill will wear away quickly restoring the rock gardens. I get the repair work, and that they’ll smooth it out to avoid coming back again too soon.

But as to the idea that they’re making it a green trail, I’m not necessarily buying it... Does anyone know what guidelines they’d be following?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Just got back as well. Its so dry and fast at the moment.

Yeah, the fact that I overtook someone on the main climb riding a flat bar commuter says a lot...

Still fun out the back on the pork barrell track. And I did that rabbit hole trail since it was mentioned - I reckon if you can ride through the rocky bits at the top, that rollover is a cinch.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The most recent work was also in response to damage and their idea is that the fill will wear away quickly restoring the rock gardens. I get the repair work, and that they’ll smooth it out to avoid coming back again too soon.
Happy to hear that as opposed to “making it accessible to all skill levels” just means we have to work harder to ride it in!

There is a lot of work going on there, which is matched by a lot of riding. Lots of folk out there recently.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Lovely weather for it today - single digits and sunny, vs the sweaty mid-summer slog.

I emailed the track builders a while back to see if any fresh trail was in the works, but nobody replied which is a shame.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Well, big roll down... Very steep quite tall rock wall, just after you land amongst rock from a rock jump. Looks like a good chute at the bottom and will be fun.

Maybe a bit much for the Trance, way too much for me!

Entry off the beginning of Western Wedgetail, must have ridding past it a bunch of times and never noticed it!
Been there a while that track. As above, not as wild as Isaacs.

What do people think about the work on luge and old duffy? Personally love that they have built up some of the berms on luge but those tabletops on old duffy are woeful!! Way too short for the amount of kick on offer. Some of the hucks to flat I did on the first run took me back to my circa 2004 kona stinky specialized bighit days.