Subaru Forester GT

THISISTC

Likes Dirt
Hey

In a few months i will be able to get my P's and Im currently looking for a car. Im set on a Forester with a price range from $5,000-$15,000. My probelm is most of the cars i like and that have Low Km's are all Turbos or the Forester GT which you're not allowed to drive on your P's . My question is: If i buy a Forester GT is it possible to rip the turbo out ?

Cheers

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Why? Just buy a non-turbo Forester - you'll not be sorry. I'm sure there'd be plenty that have been 'mum's taxi' around.

scblack

Leucocholic
Hey

In a few months i will be able to get my P's and Im currently looking for a car. Im set on a Forester with a price range from $5,000-$15,000. My probelm is most of the cars i like and that have Low Km's are all Turbos or the Forester GT which you're not allowed to drive on your P's . My question is: If i buy a Forester GT is it possible to rip the turbo out ?

Cheers
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nup. Does not work, compression and many other factors in the engine rely on the turbo. Would be technically possible but be a dog to drive afterward.

Don't think of doing it.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Same as above. Retarded idea when you think about the reality of what's involved and the results.

A good N/A car can be insanely fun, easy to maintain, simpler. Find one.

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
I've got a 98 forrester non turbo. Brought it for $8.5k on road. Nothing was wrong with it, everything works and in the year and a half I've had it, put about 30000km's on it (brought it with 230000km's) and it has never let me down. I flog the shit out of it off road and it is ever so reliable. Buy one, you won't be disappointed. Very safe and comfortable cars IMO.

On my P's aswell. Did look at a GT but due to restrictions and insurances costs decided against them. Just get used to a normal forrester first perhaps while on P's then upgrade later.

My mate has the '01 (or '00 model, can't remember) and his only complaint is that mine has the 'thrid' glove box where as his has the passenger airbag haha. Got to admit, that third glove box on top of the dash is handy.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
I'm another P plater with a forester.
2003 X model, N/A. Great cars, and the XS is supposed to be even better (LSD, discs front and back, etc)

willsy01

Eats Squid
I'm another P plater with a forester.
2003 X model, N/A. Great cars, and the XS is supposed to be even better (LSD, discs front and back, etc)
I don't think they sell anything without four wheel discs in this day and age.......

Yeah, crazy idea and a complete waste of cash. I doubt it would even be drivable. You've got three years of non-turbo driving ahead of you and by the time they're up you'll no doubt want something different. MY06 XTs would've dropped in price considerably by then too.

scblack

Leucocholic
I don't think they sell anything without four wheel discs in this day and age......
Actually they do. My new Ford Escape V6, well now 5years old but they still sell them, has rear drums!
Not a problem whatsoever with them and still has ABS, but they are drums on the rear.

And it's not a cheapie Ham, it's a $40K car.

Last edited:

Lorday

Eats Squid
Actually they do. My new Ford Escape V6, well now 5years old but they still sell them, has rear drums!
Not a problem whatsoever with them and still has ABS, but they are drums on the rear.

And it's not a cheapie Ham, it's a $40K car.
I have a 15yo car with disc front and rear!

Largest

Likes Bikes
Are drums not 'better', or more efficient, whatever, than disks, just the disks cool faster, and are therefore utilised at the front due to the heavier/prolonged loads they may be exposed to?

Back on topic, test drive an NA forester, you wont be disappointed.

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
ummm i'm on my p's and i drive mum's gt just as much as she does, and i'm covered in insurance that way. its an easy way to cheat the system i suppose, good for p platers too.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are drums not 'better', or more efficient, whatever, than disks, just the disks cool faster, and are therefore utilised at the front due to the heavier/prolonged loads they may be exposed to?

Back on topic, test drive an NA forester, you wont be disappointed.
Nope, They also fill up with dirt/dust/grime/shit and become a pain in the arse...... The dont wick water very well (compared to disks) and also pads are harder/more expensive to manufacture. I think disk have more bite, anyway

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My girlfriends mum has a forester, it's got 260,000kms and it's still going strong. She drives commutes for about an hour every day in it as well as a 6 hour round trip every month or so through hilly country, and it's never broken down.

Don't be afraid of the slightly higher km models you see..

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
ummm i'm on my p's and i drive mum's gt just as much as she does, and i'm covered in insurance that way. its an easy way to cheat the system i suppose, good for p platers too.
Yeah but you're in Tasmania:p:rolleyes:

Not sure what the reg's are down there, but Vic P's don't allow turbo cars (excluding diesel I think?) plus many other stipulations.

lockieoc

Likes Dirt
Nope, They also fill up with dirt/dust/grime/shit and become a pain in the arse...... The dont wick water very well (compared to disks) and also pads are harder/more expensive to manufacture. I think disk have more bite, anyway
hmmm depends on what your talking about here. you will find that a lot of drum shoes are cheaper than disk pads, but there are some exclusion just the same with disk pads. Dirt, dust, grime and water problems only occur from off roading and submerging the drums in water, which i highly doubt you will be doing a soft-roader like a forester. But drums will always out perform disk on the first stop easily (not saying thats always the case with commercial vechicles with rear drums) thats why they use them on trucks and buses. The reason that the manufacture uses drums on the rear of cars is that it is a cheaper manufacturing process than rear disks as they can incoperate the handbrake into the drums where with disks it needs to run a sperate handbrake.

Back on topic. Forester: well built, safe, mad street cred;), keep you out of trouble. A realy good buy.

Last edited:

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
cant be arsed reading the thread.. BUT.

there is THAT many non-turbo foresters and libs, with under 150xxxkms on them for sale for 10k it is ridiculous..

to mr casual
depending on what state you live in, driving a forester is compltly illegal on your P's, as they are turbo. and you are not allowed to drive a turbo charged cars (depening on what state, and how long youve had your p's for)..

its a stupid rule, as in a straight like, a late model commo, which is legal to drive will flog the pants of a stock GT foz...

i havnt actualy read the thread properly, but what kind of cars are you after?
are you set on a forester?
have you thought about maybe a 1998-2003 RX liberty wagon?
pretty much a GT liberty, with out a turbo, similiar brakes, suspension, interior. just a 2.5 engine not a 2.0 turbo.

great cars, good price, comfortable, still sporty, and LOADS more room inside then a forester.

you have to remember, that even through a sf5 forester looks quite large (97-2002 models), they are only 70mm longer, and about 30mm wider then a gc8 impreza, they are built on the exact same chassis.

when i started looking at them, i was surprised to see how small they really are.

Last edited: