Suggestion: Trail Database

Hey all,

I was just thinking that we should create an official trail database type thing. Something where you can find directions to all the good trails about the place, info on what sort of things you should expect there, weather there is shuttle access, photos, etc.

There's a similar thing happening with the "all you need to know" threads in the DH section (and maybe others, I haven't looked...) but I thought it'd be good to make a multi discipline section on the front page. What do people think?

P.s., I confess that I didn't do a heap of looking before I posted this so I don't know if its been brought up/done before. If it has, my appologies.

Last edited:

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FFS if you can't spell 'suggestion' and can't be bothered searching - don't post...

wicksy-

Likes Dirt
I think you are the first person ever to think of a trail database. ever.

Imagine that, on a mountain bike forum too...

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
JImass = May 2008
Eyes = Nov 2007
Wicksy = oct 2007

Whywalkwhenyoucanroll = Jul 2003

Heh.

Oh and the spelling of suggestion?? typo.

That's the one thing that pisses me off about this place: smartarses who try to jump all over others when they make a mistake or say something a bit too quickly or something that the general populace feels is a dumb idea.

Yes it was a bloody spelling mistake. OMG call the farkin police this guy must be a nut job, he can't even spell properly and hasn't trawled through countless posts that come up under a database search. Seriously people.

My SUGGESTION isn't what the watering hole is for. It's about hooking up rides with other people not specifically providing trail information. Yeah sure when a ride is organised generally it'll be at a location that most people know and those that don't can ask and be told. Hell people might even go to the extent of providing information on what the location is like and some pictures.

What I was on about was a place where people can write/type about their local trails, post pictures and other details like how to find them etc. for those who want to jump on and search an area for tracks. like what has been made sticky at the top of the DH section. This would save people from countless threads called "what sweet trails are there in Yackandandah? can someone please tell me??".

Eyes, FFS your a tool. If you can't come up with something mature and constructive, don't post.

Last edited:

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Eyes, FFS your a tool. If you can't come up with something mature and constructive, don't post.
ill agree there, ive been doing a bit of reading today after searching for various things, and SOOO many threads have this "eyes" character, having a go at someone about spelling or grammer or something.

really makes me angry.

Down in vic, we had a website along the lines of victrails.com but its a bit out dated these days.

Bout the best there is at the moment

http://www.trailflix.com.au
Sweet, That's the general idea. I was thinking if we got people to post up trails local to them (decent ones that everyone can ride like Old Bat, Lithgow Gun Club or Orrimbah as opposed to backyard hacks) then we'd have a directory sort of thing that would be great for newby's to the sport or planning a road trip etc.

Maybe it'd be to big a project though. Any mods or admin have an opinion?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Maybe it'd be to big a project though. Any mods or admin have an opinion?
I like the idea of having a database of trails but the need to update it would be so frequent that it would turn into a nightmare. Keep in mind that many people get sour having their tracks plastered all over the internet (....sooks) and things change in the way of access that could lead to peeople getting some strife.
It would be useful but not really worth having on Rotorburn as it would be more trouble than it is worth. We have floated the idea and the con's beat the living crapper out of the pro's.
As an example, a few people have created their own site with a database ove rthe years and simply stopped updating them through lack of interest and I guess even lack of traffic. Word of mouth works best around here and a simple post outlining where you'd like to ride should get the right answer.;)