Sunday afternoon metalwork challenge - will XD fit inside microspline?

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Now that my whole drivetrain is obsolete and soon I'll not be able to buy shimano HG cassettes and Shimano won't license Hope to make a microspline freehub so my wheels are also toast...

I wonder if microspline is large enough OD to make an adapter to fit over an XD?
It looks pretty close...

- carpetrunner

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Now that my whole drivetrain is obsolete and soon I'll not be able to buy shimano HG cassettes and Shimano won't license Hope to make a microspline freehub so my wheels are also toast...

I wonder if microspline is large enough OD to make an adapter to fit over an XD?
It looks pretty close...

View attachment 354096

- carpetrunner
Move to a hope cassette?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Pass. Measure them up. Probably need absokute minimum 4 or 5mm thickness on both sides so you are likely machining a thread on the XD and on the inside of the micro. Does it look like there is enough meat?

PS: it would need a better machinist than me to do this.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Move to a hope cassette?
Reviews seem a bit iffy on the Hope cassette IMO, there was a few too many references to chewed out climb gears for me to take the plunge. Did wonder if it was due to them likely being predominantly sold in the UK where they'd get hammered by the wet conditions though...

I went with a Garbaruk cassette in the end and it's been great, bloody light and strong. Would happily buy again - they are expensive however.

Another option is the newer Ztto cassettes, which look promising without the high cost.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Just eyeballing the two drivers side by side in that picture, I’m guessing it’s a no, there isn’t enough of a difference to allow for a suitable adapter, as Dales has pointed out.

Some things just cannot be.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Missed this, I haven't been around for a while... Anything will fit anything else its just how much do you want to spend to make it work? Looking at just the pics, yes I could make an adaptor but he cost would be too high and the xd would have to be modified so becomes none std ..