sunday dh

eatTrakWifFork

Likes Bikes
hi, I went to my first DH Race today and it was at the Awaba track. Thanks
to everyone that was involved with the event in anyway, it was a good day
for me and I'm sure a good day for others.

It is a demanding track, the first time I have been down such a consistently
treacherous track that required much strength to hold it on the line.
My practice runs were mostly without incident I was surprised I could
do all sections while staying on the bike.

One time going down I was zooming in the start section looking at the rocks
on the ground in front of me.. I missed seeing the A/B line sign post and soon
found myself wondering why I was traveling sideways off my bike and down in
between two rocks that were bigger than me.

My race run however didn't go as well as my practice runs and I had 2 large
accidents and some other interesting stuff happen, almost had another crash
after being cheered on by cowbell which increased my speed by 30% ???.

tranceup

Likes Dirt
hey mate, great to hear you had a good day and you enjoyed the track. Good to hear that the track was demanding but you were still able to get down it. Lots of work has been done to help that so its good to get the feedback.
Hope to see you at our next round and bring some friends.

Funny you thought the cowbell increased your speed cause for at least 6 other people myself included it made us come to a complete stop in less than ideal circumstances. I have spoken to the man responsible and he said hell get bigger bells for next time ........bastard

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Thats a poor excuse for going slow........."the cowbells made me stop!!"

I wasn't there, but bring on more cowbells. Might have to just hang some in the trees so the wind can make them ring.

eatTrakWifFork
Great to hear you had a good time. Glad you enjoyed the track and I am sure the trail builders will appreciate your comments.

tranceup

Likes Dirt
never said it made me slower, just played a part in mine and others stacks....coincedence or something more??????? i go slow on my own accord
It was awesome to have someone up the track for a change actually.

Still pretty dissapointed that we didnt get more people. Pretty sure we will scale back to one bus for next round, wed like to keep a shuttle option going, so much easier and safer, and less congestion on the road.

eatTrakWifFork

Likes Bikes
the track seemed to have structure and a mixture of riding styles all the way down, some sections told your bike that the track was boss while other sections were more delicate and looked like they needed to be ridden with care to avoid damage. I also liked the difference in packed and loose dirt it made for an interesting ride. sory if my tumbling wore away some trak, next time I ride Awaba I will be smoother.

Tye

Likes Dirt
What bike were you riding? Just trying to get to know people. I was the lanky kid riding the scott DJ bike, Edge cycles jersey.

eatTrakWifFork

Likes Bikes
I ride black/red Specialized SX Trail. I was in the grey Kona jersey, as of next weekend I will be riding in black TLD jersey with red stripe down one side.

eatTrakWifFork

Likes Bikes
636 if I remember correctly.

edit:
I might have been advised of the incorrect time initially since I didn't finish with a plate, the results sheet says 4:55 -nick

Last edited:

ronster44

Likes Dirt
I was talking to my fellow cowbell on the day and for the next round I will be bringing a referee whistle as well just to add to the atmosphere.:):)

adamd

Likes Dirt
guys,

one thing eatTrakWifFork hasn't mentioned here is that he rode his bike all the way from Awaba train station in the morning and then did his first full day of DH!

Not a bad effort for your first ever DH race I reckon...

Last edited:

eatTrakWifFork

Likes Bikes
The whistle idea might be ok but don't blow whistle loud at 1 metre range as a rider goes past that would be quite distracting!