Sunglasses for riding

TM2

Likes Bikes
I've got a pair of the fluid photo-chromatic ones, picked them up when they had them at half price (I'm too much of a tight arse to buy name brand ones.) They work pretty well, clear enough for low light conditions ( I would be happy to chuck them on fora ride that starts before sunrise), they never seem to get that dark, but on the other hand it never seems to bright either, so a pretty happy medium.

scblack

Leucocholic
Here's my sunnies. A couple of Oakley ones - TDF yellow and stealth black/red. And a pair of Prorace UK ones with five sets of lenses - lost a nose pad on these so I went and got some Oakleys.

Sunnies.jpg

John U

MTB Precision
I've been using Oakley glasses since 1988 when I got a pair of Frogskins. I currently have 2 pairs of perscription riding glasses (1 tinted lenses, 1 clear UV filter), and i've been wearing their RX glasses for about the last 7 years.

I've broken a few frames and lenses along the way. Oakley have always been very good when I've been dealing with the breakages. They replaced 1 pair of whole glasses and few frames even though they've been out of warranty.

I highly recommend buy their stuff and buying it locally. You won't regret it if the shit hits the fan in the future. These glasses are worth the premium price.

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Here's my sunnies. A couple of Oakley ones - TDF yellow and stealth black/red. And a pair of Prorace UK ones with five sets of lenses - lost a nose pad on these so I went and got some Oakleys.
The TDF ones are rad!

I've been using Oakley glasses since 1988 when I got a pair of Frogskins.
Will have to get saving then ;)

BTW hows the Dragon going? did you post a PYR for it?

chrischris

Likes Dirt
After flattening my Oakleys, I now have $10-15 Bunnings safety glasses. Brilliant. Clear for night, tinted for days.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I had some Ryders Photochromic, but the lenses always seemed cloudy, so i was a bit dissapointed with them.

I had some Adidas Climacool with rose lenses for a while until I lost them, they were great. Comfy and a low tendency for fogging.

Then some Shimano S40r's, but they interfere with my helmet retention system, the lens is quite small and they make me look like a try hard.

I am currently using some Bolle yellow tinted safety glasses. They're good in that they don't interfere with my helmet, but they fog easily.

I'd love to buy some Oakley's as I can feel the quality when I try them on, but the cost is ridiculous. I just haven't been able to part with that much cash for sunnies....yet.

Danny B

Likes Dirt
I got my Tifosi Dolomite 2.0 glasses with 'Backcountry Orange' Fototec lens today. I tried them on my commute home. Was sunny and the high contrast lenses weren't great for dealing with all the reflective surfaces and glare. They'll be excellent for riding in the forest as they're super high contrast; all the green of the trees was a lurid bright green, like you've pumped the saturation way up on Photoshop (or the 'gram for that matter). I'll have to get some traditional smoke lenses to deal with regular road riding and for trails where I know I'll be out in the open for most of the time.

On the whole I'm really happy with these glasses. I paid $120 for them (the regular lenses are cheaper), They have good styling (as far as sports sunglasses go) and they are really comfortable, and they seem to be well made and come in a nice case. Sure the lenses aren't as nice as what you'd get with Oakleys but they're a third of the price too.

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Thread dig. So I've gone out and bought some extra lenses for the Tifosi's. Photochromatic clears and regular smoke lenses.

To be honest the photochromatic aspect is kinda nice I guess, but they're pretty limited in their range. If I was buying again I would just buy the cheaper regular multi-lens version.

EDIT: Also the Dolomite 2.0's fog up quickly when riding on wet days.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Here is something different, I use to use them when 4x4 offroad racing.

The Eye Safety Systems (ESS) - V12.

They come with 3 different types of lenses, have internal ventilation, stop rocks and dust from getting in, and best of all they are ballistics tested, meaning you can be shot in the face by up to a .22 bullet and you won't loose an eye (possibly over kill for the tracks, though could be handy to stop a branch from taking out an eye).

Oh and they strap around your head, so they wont fall off when your riding like a fruit loop.

...G...

Likes Bikes
I've been using Wiley X AirRage glasses for about 4 years now: http://www.wileyx.com.au/CC_airRage.php#tabs1-Desc

I reckon they are fantastic.

You can get them in Australia with single vision prescription lenses and hard coat protection from about $350. They come with a removable elastic strap and the lenses are shatterproof.

I've had a couple of stacks where I've landed on my head/face and the glasses have done a great job of protecting my eyes and distributing the force of the impact.

Sic

Likes Dirt
Got some cheap Adidas evil eyes on sale a year or so back and they're proving very comfortable with decent lenses. Wouldnt mind photochromatic though...

Manc

Likes Bikes
Soooooo, the time has come for me to get me some giggs (glasses). Getting thrashed in the eye on numerous occasions on my first trip to Buxton last week has heavily persuaded me to make a purchase. Two years on from the original post, with new options available - are you still saying the same? I am thinking.....Adidas evil eye evo pro or something with a similar shape (and cheaper). I like the big lenses option and will probably go for a clear lens. I tried the Oakley trail jawbreaker on at TFM and they felt great! but kinda busy looking, lens was big and very sharp but I'm not sure my extremely amateur mtb status will warrant paying $300.

http://au.oakley.com/en/mens/sungla...reaker/product/W0OO9290PZTL?skuCode=OO9290-04

http://www.adidas.com/Eyewear/content/au/products/10461/evil-eye-evo-pro-S

I was hoping to pay $70 to $100 maybe but Noooooooooo. Well, I couldnt find owt but maybe you can help?

Warp

Likes Dirt
Fawcking oath... I ordered prescription Oakleys Black Iridium. :nono:
I should have gone for the photochromatic ones instead or some lesser tint for trail riding, but of course I just read this thread.

Oh, well... for the f-ups thread...
Impressions when they arrive.

Last edited:

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Got some cheap Adidas evil eyes on sale a year or so back and they're proving very comfortable with decent lenses. Wouldnt mind photochromatic though...
Yeah I got the adidas evils. Seem good but I also want the photo lenses. Wonder if they make some for it.

si618

Likes Dirt
Loving my Oakley Valves. Prescription optics are amazing, lens and frame seems strong and happy to wear for casual use as well as riding.

They do fog up a bit after stopping in early morning rides, but this stuff fixes it, so long as you remember to put it on (and shake the bottle).

Decided to go with a brown lens to maximise contrast on the trails, works a treat with added bonus that it feels like you're in a sci-fi movie.

Total cost ~$500 including Oakley prescription lenses. Fortunately health insurance paid ½. Took 1½ weeks to ship from the US.

Stumpy13

Likes Bikes
I got my Tifosi Dolomite 2.0 glasses with 'Backcountry Orange' Fototec lens today. I tried them on my commute home. Was sunny and the high contrast lenses weren't great for dealing with all the reflective surfaces and glare. They'll be excellent for riding in the forest as they're super high contrast; all the green of the trees was a lurid bright green, like you've pumped the saturation way up on Photoshop (or the 'gram for that matter). I'll have to get some traditional smoke lenses to deal with regular road riding and for trails where I know I'll be out in the open for most of the time.

On the whole I'm really happy with these glasses. I paid $120 for them (the regular lenses are cheaper), They have good styling (as far as sports sunglasses go) and they are really comfortable, and they seem to be well made and come in a nice case. Sure the lenses aren't as nice as what you'd get with Oakleys but they're a third of the price too.
I've been thinking of buying Tifosis but cant find any local shops who sell so I can try them on. Do you mind my asking where you bought yours?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
It's either $20 tradies safety wraparounds or Fuglies ADF8.

My favourite sunnies for riding are the Fuglies ADF8. Ballistic impact lenses in polarized grey tint. Black frame. $90. fit fine with Fox flux helmet. Comfortable, good vision, never fallen off. replaceable foam gasket and elastic strap. I disconnected the foam gasket for better airflow.
2 years old and still going strong. They do prescription ones as well.
http://shop.fuglies.com.au/polarised_safety_sunglasses.html

bootsandall

Likes Dirt
Tradie safety glasses for sure

Having done the expensive sunnies gig for a while, there is something nice about knowing when you have an off or just a nanna moment and the sunnies get ejected or scratched its not going to give your pocket a big hit to replace or force you to put up with a massive scratch because you can't afford/justify replacing them.
Oh well off to the safety shop for a few new pairs, $50 later you got clear scratch free vision and a nice shiney spare set waiting incase. The trick is getting a shape that feels right, close but not to close. I have two that are my go too units, one clear one tinted. Have at least 4-5 pairs floating around the ute, house, workshop, some in the backpack, just know that even if I forget the not so scratch pair at a pinch there will be a set in the ute, clear or tint ready to roll.