sunglasses whilst riding

Richard Devey

Likes Bikes
What would be a good lense for riding, would polarized lenses suit? I guess it would have to be a lense thats good for sun and in and out of shade etc, any thoughts?

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
If you are spending a good amount of money on a decent pair of riding glasses you may want to consider a pair with "Photochromatic" lenses.
These are the type that change tint as the sun gets brighter.
The newer types that I have are brilliant and change very fast from clear to sunglass tint in a matter of seconds, great for riding in and out of trees. You only need one set of specs for day and night.
Beats swapping lenses or glasses for different applications

John U

MTB Precision
There's another quite lengthy thread on this.

I need prescription glasses. I have prescription Oakley Jackets with their sunglass lenses, Oakley Jackets with untinted lenses, and a pair of wrap around Arnettes with orange tinted lenses.

All are good for riding but I find that I nearly always go with the untinted lenses. They're good enough for bright conditions, they're good for in and out of sunlight, and if the sky falls in while I'm out on a ride they're good for that too. You can't go wrong with them.

I reckon with sunnies you don't pick up as much detail when you're in and out of shadow. Sometimes that can be good a thing though as a lot of those details are irrelevant and the flow of the ride improves.

I'd only really use the sunnies if I was out in full sun for quite a bit of the ride, and/or at higher altitude like riding at Buller. It can get fucking bright up there on a clear day.

The Arnettes are good for dawn/dusk riding and raves (if they still exist).

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have been trying to get into this, just cant dig it. Goggles while on the DH is natural for me, but I just struggle with sunglasses. But when i do it, i find polarized lenses work quite well. I wear polarized glasses for general wear and while fishing or on snow, so I'm a little into them. And wearing eye protection on the trail sure beat getting a bug or stick in the eye....again.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I have been trying to get into this, just cant dig it. Goggles while on the DH is natural for me, but I just struggle with sunglasses. But when i do it, i find polarized lenses work quite well. I wear polarized glasses for general wear and while fishing or on snow, so I'm a little into them. And wearing eye protection on the trail sure beat getting a bug or stick in the eye....again.
Depends on your needs and for me the polarised works well (they come in colours and tint levels to customise).

I need prescription lenses and my eyes are light (or more particularly glare) sensitive so while it is a pain moving in and out of shade, I have to wear sunnies to manage the bright stuff to avoid triggering a migraine.

The loss of detail moving in and out of shadows is an issue though and If I didn't need polarised glasses for bushwalking and water activities, transitions would probably suit.

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
On polarised I wouldn't recommend Oakley, have had about 4 pairs, lenses always bubble.
I've had trouble with a couple of Oakley frames but I've had many pairs of Oakleys over the years. I've got nothing but good things to say about Oakley customer service in Australia. I'd rate it sensational.

redbruce

Eats Squid
On polarised I wouldn't recommend Oakley, have had about 4 pairs, lenses always bubble.
Polarised lenses are a laminated design.

They don't cope with high heat (like leaving them in a hot car) or submersion in water (like the bottom of my Kayak) and will de laminate.

Otherwise they are generally pretty durable (in my experience over 35 years). Not sure what happened with yours.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Polarised photochromatic riding glasses are a thing. And a very good thing they are - they are all I will use. Shimano, Santini, Tifosi and even Jet Black do them...amongst others.

Thing to remember is that the ability to adjust to incoming light levels degrades over time especially in the cheaper plastic lenses so this might be an issue for some.

I've had a pair of cheapish JB Svelto glasses that have done nigh on three years and are showing it but my normal sunnies are Spotter Tremor's that I bought back in 2004 (and got a new frame for in 2013) that still work just fine.

BorisBC

Likes Bikes
If you're a cheapskate like me the Aldi bike glasses are pretty good. They fit larger sized heads and have a soft, sweat absorbing bit on the brow which works quite well. The lenses are a touch fragile though. They come with tinted, yellow and clear and I broke the clear ones swapping them over. The yellow lenses are awesome for low light too - they seem to make things brighter.

All in all not bad for $15!

As for Oakleys, I've been using them for years but my hair seems to be hell on them as it wears out the inside pretty bad.

Specialized29er

Likes Bikes
I like the polarised safety glasses from the safety shops, my current pair have lasted 12 months and although there not a fashion statement they do the job just fine.

noel0409

Likes Bikes
I have an old pair of Ray Ban frames and had a set of "Photochromatic optical lenses to suit my old eyes fitted into them. They are great I can see everything and find them very good in all round light conditions. If your in a health fund they cost bugger all and you could probably get them without any optical adjustments.

Exie

Likes Dirt
Just 1 point to add, find something that FITS, that is comfortable to wear.

I tried Tifosi, Rudy, Safety shop glasses, Amcal glasses and they were all terribly uncomfortable. They tended to let alot of light in the sides, or they fogged up, or my john-howard-like eye brows would interfere with them.

Finally my wife splashed out and brought me some Oakley's and the fit perfect. I've brought a few lenses over the years, but the same glasses, still working great.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I’ve got a set of prescription sunnies I bought in Hanoi, Vietnam for $60… and I’m a +6, so that is really cheap… they are the best.

I trashed them when I fractured my skull a few years ago, but a mate was going over to Nam, so I gave him the frames and $40 later, I’m still wearing them every day.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Adidas Halfrim. Not cheap. Are amazing. Prescription compatible.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Adidas Halfrim. Not cheap. Are amazing. Prescription compatible.

I just ordered a pair two days ago. Sweeeet!

Did have a pair of Adidas Evil Eyes about 10 years ago. They were great for the trails and looked good although I remember the frame getting in the way of my vision if I was looking over my shoulder in traffic.