Supplements recommended and drinking

disappearin

Likes Dirt
I admittedly don't know to much about coconut water, but doesn't it normally have a reasonably high fat content (in relation to it's carb content)? Would this potentially mean it may limit sustained aerobic performance (vs a drink with no fat) as the fat content will slow the uptake / gastric emptying of carbs?
I think a lot of the misconceptions around coconut water (from young coconuts unlike coconut milk which is ground up coconut meat) stem for the fact it was used during World War II as a substitute for saline solution when they were low. It is isotonic but from memory (been a few years since i studied this) I think it's high in potassium but low in sodium which lead to an electrolyte imbalance in patients. It will have some benefits as an electrolyte drink but may not be the best source of balanced electrolytes...

clance79

Likes Bikes
Does anyone use and recommend any particular supplements to assist recovery and whatnot? I just stumbled across a Sydney based website which appears quite cheap when compared to my local health food store for a number of the things that they have on the shelf. No bull supplements ( anyone recomend or been disappointed by?)

I don't want to puff up like a steroid just looking to increase the power to weight ratio and hopefully ride a bit faster for longer. Not that I race but, I don't want to go down the Lance Armstrong side of allowed substance. I eat a fairly balanced diet but am not ready to give up the booze. I generally have 2 to or so beers after work and a wine with dinner and a scotch or rum after more often than not. Sometimes an i have an Afd or no wine or spirit. Is this a lot?
my 2c- if you make sure you eat within half an hr or so of riding/training you will probably find that it will help your recovery, mostly supplements are overrated, they can be a convenient way to get in the calories you need to support training but otherwise all the incredible claims they make are somewhat um.... exaggerated! Powders and potions should never replace real food

to increase power to weight do low rep weight training ie; deadlifts or squats in multiple sets of 3-5 reps, goes without saying- get instruction in proper technique before you go heavy if you haven't done much weight training- sorry I said it anyway.... seriously though train like this consistently 3 or so times a week for 6-8 weeks and watch your power to weight go through the roof

driftking

Wheel size expert
my 2c- if you make sure you eat within half an hr or so of riding/training you will probably find that it will help your recovery, mostly supplements are overrated, they can be a convenient way to get in the calories you need to support training but otherwise all the incredible claims they make are somewhat um.... exaggerated! Powders and potions should never replace real food

to increase power to weight do low rep weight training ie; deadlifts or squats in multiple sets of 3-5 reps, goes without saying- get instruction in proper technique before you go heavy if you haven't done much weight training- sorry I said it anyway.... seriously though train like this consistently 3 or so times a week for 6-8 weeks and watch your power to weight go through the roof
3times a week as in 3full body workouts?
That's a massive load, even more so for strength training been so high weight low rep will significantly tax the CNS and it takes a while for it to recover, you see some guys leaving more than a week between deadlifts or heavy squat sessions.

MWI is the cns expert so he can probably go into more detail.

clance79

Likes Bikes
3times a week as in 3full body workouts?
That's a massive load, even more so for strength training been so high weight low rep will significantly tax the CNS and it takes a while for it to recover, you see some guys leaving more than a week between deadlifts or heavy squat sessions.

MWI is the cns expert so he can probably go into more detail.
Yep you are quite correct working out like this can place a very high demand on the cns particularly deadlift, it was a pretty generalised protocol, keeping the reps low and taking good breaks between sets (2-5min) will help to avoid overtaxing the cns whilst using a heavy weight will maximise the neural response to the training stimuli. Also I wouldn't recommend keeping up this sort of loading for too long (6-8 weeks max) in fact you might even find your strength peaking in as little as 3 weeks with remaining time used to consolidate on gains. Wave loading can be used particularly for an advanced athlete (mon- heavy, wed- light, fri-medium) however if a person is relatively new to strength training then a simple linear loading increase will probably be fine. I should caveat that endurance work (riding) will need to be moderated, you can't lift well if your exhausted from an endurance activity. with the days shortening into winter a few weeks in the gym and maybe just one or 2 rides on the weekend.

I do stress that some personalized coaching or advice is probably needed if you haven't done too much strength work before, thank you to driftking for prompting me to expand on my previous post, I personally don't generally like to deadlift more than once or twice a week (though I have deaded up to 4 times a week for extended periods in the past) I'm usually pretty happy to squat 2 or more times a week so longs as the reps are low. I guess a lot depends on your personal conditioning and also how much time you can allocate to resting- desk job? go nuts! brickie? maybe train a little less.....

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
I have recently moved back into my family business which is in transport and reprocessing of scrap tyres. Mostly pacing around on the phone or sitting on my arse in front of a computer but the odd day of walking the talk. My trucks hold about 10 tonne of tyres and you lift & throw them three times by the time you unload. I lifted near 60 tonnes yesterday. Gotta laugh at that Johnny Cash song fifteen tonnes... Pussy. :)

On a side note I hope this crossfit fad is with us for a while yet every day I have 3 or 3 "musclemen" contact me wanting large tyres to jump on flip or hit with a hammer. It's quite entertaining. I really don't know why certain things flick the light for certain people. Hmm go for a ride in the bush or hit this tyre with a sledgehammer, gee awfully tempting but I know how I would rather spend my time.

A personal favourite is when these guys who think they sound huge on the phone wanting a three hundred kilo tyre, not wanting at my suggestion, to pop down to our site to make sure it's what they really want. The look on their faces when I deliver a three hundred kilo tyre is priceless. Think cartoon eyes popping hilarious. Disposal on one of these is about $500.00

clance79

Likes Bikes
Ha Ha I bet! a 300kg tyre must be freakin' huge! plus tyre flips, sledgehammer work etc sounds sexy on your favourite crossfit site- the reality it's just plain hard work....

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
I throw and lift the buggers for a living and would not be inclined to pay for the privilege. If I'm paying $50 a session I'll have a massage thanks or maybe a bunch of shuttle runs.

clance79

Likes Bikes
Given that you load tyres on and off trucks for a living please disregard my previous posts... you don't need deadlifts! you much more likely need the massage you mentioned. Failing that check out http://www.mobilitywod.com/ this man is a genius I promise you!

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Little help..

I was curious to know if (in conjunction with a good workout/diet) a combination of creatine, beta-alanine, multi-vitamins and fish oil would help benefit me in gaining weight, fitness and health.

I'm not really interested in over priced weight gain supplements or bro science, just want to keep things simple.

Everything I have read doesn't show any negative effects.

If these are a good option when and how much should I take?

My guess would be:

Fish oil/vitamin in morning/night

5g of creating & 5g of beta-alanine pre workout. Although I've read you need to do a loading stage for a week with creatine and then stop using it for a while after a month.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Take this into consideration when taking any supplement, they sometimes do have significant side effects - creatine has been previously associated with kidney failure and death, then when people combine supplements chances of side effects appear to significantly increase. The manufacturers of the product won't highlight this more than they are legally obliged too (font 6) also studies combining various marketed supplements are ethically not allowed to due to the potential safety risks to participants.

Although evidence exists to support the performance-enhancement efficacy of some preworkout ingredients as standalone agents, published data on combination products are scant, inconclusive, or conflicting. The safety of these products may be compromised if users consume larger-than-recommended amounts or use more than one product. Eudy (2013) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23515510

I personally don't take any supplements other than protein powder - but only if my diet is lacking for that day, and realistically it probably makes little measurable benefit overall. If you train and eat well, mass, strength and fitness will occur at pretty much the same as it would if you supplemented. You've already highlighted the too most important things - good workout and diet, building mass take time, a lot of time, I've been at it 18 years straight and I am not big or strong enough yet, for many males, it's not going to happen until you metabolically and hormonally ready, this, may be as late as 20+ years of age. If you are young, be patient and it will occur.

Pre-work out supplementation is a hoax, all it does is waste your money. Vitamin supplementation has had some serious doubts cast on it over the last 20 years, it probably doesn't work unless you are clinically deficient in that vit/mineral - any dietetics on here? Fish oil, been heavily promoted well beyond research findings, beta-alanine may offer limited benefits - research is still being actively published. Creatine works, is expensive, probably only offers any real benefits to well trained power athletes.

Don't underestimate the cost of supplements over a period of time - the money you'd save by not buying supplements over a year - full gym membership 1-2 years, a week of chairlift tickets and a accomdation in summer at Buller, return flights to Queenstown, 1 hour of lap dances at the seedy establishment of your choice, car rego and part of insurance...

I work and train with some impressively fit, large, strong and most importantly scientifically educated peeps, none take anything more than quality protein supplements.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Thanks MWI, I was hoping you would respond to that.

You must save a lot of people money.

I don't think my wife would appreciate me getting seedy lap dances so might opt to put the money towards something else ;)

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Thanks MWI, I was hoping you would respond to that.

You must save a lot of people money.

I don't think my wife would appreciate me getting seedy lap dances so might opt to put the money towards something else ;)
My pleasure,

Supplement marketing is essentially straight out bullshit with the claims they make and people believe it due to the 'quality' of the psuedoscience presented.

It surprising how many people don't or won't believe when told the opposite of what the marketing claims (this shows how good the marketing is I guess), particularly when it's someone like myself who has no financial benefit to gain vs the product seller.

AIS - always a good source of info http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets

driftking

Wheel size expert
+1 mwi most products are crap if not dangerous.

I use protien powder and sustagen thats it.

d-asparic acid, creatine, and what ever other crap they sell I avoid.
Creatine has been shown to slightly increase atp and is only going to yield a benefit by pushing out those 2 more reps, that said the dangerous are pretty heavy as mwi pointed out in his thread. not to mention the amount of loading it takes to actually gain a benefit from it is down right dangerous, it also hasnt been tested for long term use, in my unprofessional opinion its dangerous.

Good diet and a proper supplement is the way to go, I like sustagen its widely used and the hospital grade is pretty good, I throw that together with a protein right now a whey casien blend for sustained and long fuel tot op up my nutrition. Back in the day people got massive from working out and eating wholesome foods before processed and supplements hit the market.

Also avoid gainers, they are full of crap most crappy carbs just to fill up. If you want something make it your self with quality fresh ingredients.

There at sometimes when supplements can be useful but this should be discussed and controlled by a doctor, not the supplement marketing team.

m2c

Last edited:

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Supplement marketing is essentially straight out bullshit with the claims they make and people believe it due to the 'quality' of the psuedoscience presented.[/URL]
Don't forget the awesome names and the cool pictures on the box. Nothing says 'quality product' like a picture of some 'roided up mohawked dude with sun glasses and tattoos posing with a group of floozies.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
+1 mwi most products are crap if not dangerous.

I use protien powder and sustagen thats it.

d-asparic acid, creatine, and what ever other crap they sell I avoid.
Creatine has been shown to slightly increase atp and is only going to yield a benefit by pushing out those 2 more reps, that said the dangerous are pretty heavy as mwi pointed out in his thread. not to mention the amount of loading it takes to actually gain a benefit from it is down right dangerous, it also hasnt been tested for long term use, in my unprofessional opinion its dangerous.

Good diet and a proper supplement is the way to go, I like sustagen its widely used and the hospital grade is pretty good, I throw that together with a protein right now a whey casien blend for sustained and long fuel tot op up my nutrition. Back in the day people got massive from working out and eating wholesome foods before processed and supplements hit the market.

Also avoid gainers, they are full of crap most crappy carbs just to fill up. If you want something make it your self with quality fresh ingredients.

There at sometimes when supplements can be useful but this should be discussed and controlled by a doctor, not the supplement marketing team.

m2c
When you say a "good diet and a proper supplement" - do you mean only using the protein shake/supplement in conjunction with gym/training or just if for some reason you skipped a meal or haven't eaten enough that day?

I've avoided weight gainer powders for a while now. As a general rule I make my own gainer shakes by blending milk or O.J, protein powder, oats, banana & greek yogurt or peanut butter, tastes alot better than the bought stuff and I know whats in it!

driftking

Wheel size expert
When you say a "good diet and a proper supplement" - do you mean only using the protein shake/supplement in conjunction with gym/training or just if for some reason you skipped a meal or haven't eaten enough that day?

I've avoided weight gainer powders for a while now. As a general rule I make my own gainer shakes by blending milk or O.J, protein powder, oats, banana & greek yogurt or peanut butter, tastes alot better than the bought stuff and I know whats in it!
For me a supplement is just that a supplement to fill diet gaps, gaps that CAN'T be filled with food, its always best to build a diet with real foods.
Ill use a protein shake after workouts because I cant stomach eating straight away Ill take about 30gram protein. I also do make my own gainer of approx 800calories to help be hit my calories for the day. I am a light weight rocket metabolism and eating 4000calories of healthy food is nearly impossible for me.

Vitamins and minerals can be helpful in certain situations ie cramps in long exercise. But again even a multivitamin can be dangerous as a general addition, some studies have shown negative effect of taking a multivitamin, its a personal need and if you do decide to take certain vitamins you should do it under instruction of a doctor.

It has been mentioned earlier in the thread a proper diet should provide you with everything you need. All the other left wing supplements produce what I believe unnatural reactions in the body. I don't think these other supplements like nitric oxide, creatine, D-aspartic acid etc are doing nothing, I have seen tests in where they do show benefits the question is are these benefits going to really matter. Most of the supplements assist in increasing something the body either gets from food or naturally produces so we should be getting adequate amounts of what we need through the bodies ability to produce it and diet. Further more many supplements in my opinion are packed with lots of crap and id question how safe they are, we know lots of new supplements have not been tested long term or they come with a fair few potential side effects minor and dangerous.

In my opinion supplement companies are brilliant marketers, they find something small lets say eg they find substance X increases performance by 2%, they then throw massive roid guys on the bottle and talk about how it increases performance. Iv rarely seen a supplement in the bodybuilding industry talk actually results or state a number ie you never see them say "40% boost in XX" on a supplement, instead they use marketing pulls "increase performance, more power, maximize workout" this help pull people in but don't actually tell you anything.

We have to also consider the usability of the supplement, some supplements we take the body cant actively use or if we have too much or its not needed it will pass through without been used. I wont go as far to say all supplements are crap but you need to do the research, most have small benefit and come with dangerous health effects and might not even be used by the body.

Protein supplements are fine in my books its nothing left field it is just protein in a form for us to mix and drink easier, its sort of like adding sugar to a drink to get in quick carbs, its just a powder form of protein. They're not crazily broken down structures and isolating certain bonds or adding anything that will raise natural levels of the bodies production etc.

I will clarify as mentioned earlier some people need supplements but these should be discussed with a doctor.

Last edited:

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
I don't really need supplements.... just trying to gain the weight back that I lost when I broke my wrist and couldn't work-out properly.

Being on the skinny size and being a 'hard gainer' losing 8kgs sucks! Especially when it took a couple years to put on.

Zam

Likes Dirt
If you google "A must read if you buy WPI/WPC" there is a post on few bodybuilding forums from a particular company which has supposed paid good money for their protein and others tested via a lab to show the "purity" of some of the brands of protein out there and some of the tricks of cutting theprotein with skim milk powder whcih certainly effects the protein ratio in the product.

Makes some interesting reading...

driftking

Wheel size expert
If you google "A must read if you buy WPI/WPC" there is a post on few bodybuilding forums from a particular company which has supposed paid good money for their protein and others tested via a lab to show the "purity" of some of the brands of protein out there and some of the tricks of cutting theprotein with skim milk powder whcih certainly effects the protein ratio in the product.

Makes some interesting reading...
purity in the sense of in the container or purity from a quality perspective. You mentioned adding milk powder so that would suggest quality in the container rather than the quality of protein source.

If its in the container that's easy, one of the great traps in the industry is 100% whey etc people assume it contains 100% whey, but if you looking on the back a serving of 40grams might only yield 30grams protein so it actually has a 75% protein its just of that 75% 100%of that is whey. The 100% whey does not refer to how much you get per serving or the purity of the mix but tells you the type of protein inside, ie there is no casein etc, it just means all the protein in here is 100% whey. Someone could produce a product full of crap and only has 5% protein but that 5% protein in 100% whey so its going to still say 100% whey on the container. Its a nice little sneaky way for lesser packed brands to sell product. In terms of protein, isolates are going to be ideal they provide a more pure form, concentrates are the very basic and for most is going to be enough, it is though the most likely to cause stomach digestion issues or bloating, they can also contain lactose still and may cause issues for the lactose intolerant. Most decent entry protein brands will mix concentrate with isolate, isolates have very low levels of carbohydrates and fat and are almost exclusively pure protein. Concentrates are less pure as the protein is not as filtered out, products with high levels of concentrates will have a lower % of protein per serve.
Hydrolysate Protein as far as I'm aware doesn't change purity but changes how predigested, this increases absorption rate and can help those with stomach sensitivity, its the most expensive and really not worth it.

You want to know how pure the powder you buy a simple math calculation will tell you that. Protein per serve / serving size X 100 give you the percent.
Quality is another matter, where the protein is sourced from may matter but im not sure by how much. I'd expect its negligible I mean vegetarians can bulk just as well as a meat eater. Soy powders are still marketed and used Im expecting the "protein source" is another marketing hype that really doesn't matter much at all. If they are adding powder to the container to cut it then the above calculation will take that into account as the milk powder will be part of the serving size.

Casein protein is the other type and is a long slow absorbed/broken down protein, for those who are trying to maximize the GH peak at bed this is the best form to have with water before bed. As a supplement for calories it is also again probably the best choice, you don't need a fast peak like after a workout instead you want sustained fuel over the day to help keep the body running. Of course food is the ticket but as mentioned in my previous post there are some people or times when these supplements are helpful.

M2C

Last edited: