Sydney suspension service

Hey All,

Does anyone have Sydney experience with maintenance on suspension? I've done fork oil before, and also taken out bearings to clean and grease. I'm tempted to get a professional to do it on my Bronson, just because its the first really nice bike I've had - and I don't want to mess it up.

The lower pivot is feeling a little off (it has some play, not lateral, but kind of upward).

Anybody have thoughts? Is DIY good enough (I'm pretty OK with tools) - or is there a shop recommendation.

cheers

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey All,

Does anyone have Sydney experience with maintenance on suspension? I've done fork oil before, and also taken out bearings to clean and grease. I'm tempted to get a professional to do it on my Bronson, just because its the first really nice bike I've had - and I don't want to mess it up.

The lower pivot is feeling a little off (it has some play, not lateral, but kind of upward).

Anybody have thoughts? Is DIY good enough (I'm pretty OK with tools) - or is there a shop recommendation.

cheers
I can recommend Simon @ MTB Suspension Centre in Stanmore...

https://www.mtbsuspension.com.au/

I've had 2 sets of forks and a rear shock rebuilt and cannot fault the service!

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Echo the above comment. Suspension or the linkages? Also is it a V2 bronson or V1?

Echo the above comment. Suspension or the linkages? Also is it a V2 bronson or V1?
V1. I think both the linkages and suspension need a service. I just ordered the kit for bearings off the SC site - that side looks pretty easy to do at home.

I've done fork oil before - but I've never done rear suspension.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When you say up and down play, if you hold the bike by the seat and pull the rear wheel up and down does that move? Can you identify exactly where the play is coming from? Most commonly that will be shock mounting hardware, but if its coming 100% from the lower link there maybe some flogged out hardware that will need attention.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
V1. I think both the linkages and suspension need a service. I just ordered the kit for bearings off the SC site - that side looks pretty easy to do at home.

I've done fork oil before - but I've never done rear suspension.
The Rear Shock will need to be done at a Service Centre due to the nitrogen fill (well, technically you can service yourself and re-fill with plain old regular air, but that requires a mod to the re-fill valve of the shock).

The linkages, one this you'll want to make sure you have is a blind bearing puller. The SC linkage bearings can be a real shit to remove, especially if they've been in there for a long time. Check out ebay for the kits, usually pretty cheap. If you're on the Sydney northside, you can borrow my kit if you want.

When you say up and down play, if you hold the bike by the seat and pull the rear wheel up and down does that move? Can you identify exactly where the play is coming from? Most commonly that will be shock mounting hardware, but if its coming 100% from the lower link there maybe some flogged out hardware that will need attention.
Yer, I'm 90% sure the play is coming from the rear shock. I'll tear it down one night this week and make 100% sure.

The lower link is a little squeaky - but no play.

The Rear Shock will need to be done at a Service Centre due to the nitrogen fill (well, technically you can service yourself and re-fill with plain old regular air, but that requires a mod to the re-fill valve of the shock).

The linkages, one this you'll want to make sure you have is a blind bearing puller. The SC linkage bearings can be a real shit to remove, especially if they've been in there for a long time. Check out ebay for the kits, usually pretty cheap. If you're on the Sydney northside, you can borrow my kit if you want.
Ah - thanks for the heads-up on the rear shock. I'm going to book it in shortly for a service.

I'm pretty sure I can borrow a puller - but thank you very much for the offer!

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Ah - thanks for the heads-up on the rear shock. I'm going to book it in shortly for a service.

I'm pretty sure I can borrow a puller - but thank you very much for the offer!
No problems at all.

Regarding your Bronson, are you the original owner? Bearings are free if you are and I think the service is too (at your original shop). That said, with the right tools it doesn't take much to replace them, have done my GF's V1 Bronson recently. With the wrong tools though... haha, enjoy the mess off bearings, races and balls fricken everywhere!

MTB Suspension Centre will get your shock feeling lovely though, great guys there!