That old chestnut: chain dropping down off top cog when back pedaling

I had a similar problem with the chain dropping and it turned out that the derailleur needed a slight tweak. Shifting etc seemed perfect both up and down, but when rolling backwards or pedalling backwards, it would drop a gear. I think the chain might have been a touch short too with a clutched derailleur. If you have clutched RD, try turning that off and see if the same still happens.

Anyways, I just fiddled with the RD barrel adjustment, and all was good.

HTH

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
I've had play in freehub body bearings that has stuffed shifting on the roadie,
Let's see if the chain drops with nice new toght bearings ;)

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a similar problem with the chain dropping and it turned out that the derailleur needed a slight tweak. Shifting etc seemed perfect both up and down, but when rolling backwards or pedalling backwards, it would drop a gear. I think the chain might have been a touch short too with a clutched derailleur. If you have clutched RD, try turning that off and see if the same still happens.

Anyways, I just fiddled with the RD barrel adjustment, and all was good.

HTH
I did check the hanger and it was marginally off but I can’t check if it’s better as my rear wheel is now in pieces!

What 11sp...or 10sp rear derailleur has a barrel adjustor these days?
lol. Well you might notice I was talking about my RD.

I apologise. I probably got my human technology incorrect. What I actually did was to slightly adjust the microvoltage on my flux capacitor infinitely variable torque sensing derailleur.

Perhaps another way to say it was to try slightly adjusting the tension on the RD, but I'm not sure. I hope you may be able to translate that to the equivalent human 10sp or 11sp technology.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Nope. Doesn’t help.
I’m assuming you meant that you adjusted on the shifter, now I re-read, but it was a serious question.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quick update: received new hub/ freehub bearings (enduro) and they slid nicely onto the axle as they are meant to. Stans HQ were very helpful but tried to push me to go to the LBS for warranty despite knowing ai purchased the wheelset from Germany. I told them this wasn’t an option. They were prepared to send a new axle but it turns out the problem was cheap shitty bearings with tolerances way outside of standards! Seems Stans have used the cheapest bearing supplier they could find which has piss poor Quality control. The fact the bearings had to be forced on the shaft hss probably contributed to 2 of them failing within 6 months.

Anyhow bike back together, wheel is smooth as silk so time to see if the chain issue had resolved. Tried a new sram chain and it was no better than my current kmc chain. Turns out it drops on the same spot on the cassette so i tweaked a few teeth and it did improve the situation. Could be out of whack from crunching gears at some point or a rock etc, who knows! Anyhow thanks for everyone’s input!

Reactions: PJO

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'd still take up their offer of an axle and hopefully bearing kit...

KMC chains are great.

What do you mean by tweaked a few teeth? (has fingers crossed for the almighty #hammertime solution.

Given my suggestion have been investigated and thoroughly resolved, I'm throwing my full support behind a bend in hanger or derailleur. Given the length of big range derailleurs it wouldn't take much of a bend to produce enough displacement.

Or perhaps the H/L screws + sticky cable aren't allowing a full retraction at the top end? When did you replace inner and outer cables? Have you checked where your screws are at? They can comedies creep in/out and cause grief.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd still take up their offer of an axle and hopefully bearing kit...

KMC chains are great.

What do you mean by tweaked a few teeth? (has fingers crossed for the almighty #hammertime solution.

Given my suggestion have been investigated and thoroughly resolved, I'm throwing my full support behind a bend in hanger or derailleur. Given the length of big range derailleurs it wouldn't take much of a bend to produce enough displacement.

Or perhaps the H/L screws + sticky cable aren't allowing a full retraction at the top end? When did you replace inner and outer cables? Have you checked where your screws are at? They can comedies creep in/out and cause grief.
the upper ring had a slight bend so I took it out as best I could with a small shifter. Hanger alignment is spot on checked directly on the hanger itself and again with the bracket axle unit attached (incase it was bent). B screw adjustment is fine.

As for replacement bearings: No chance unless I want to go via Germany. I tried to hit them up for some new rim stickers as a gesture of good will. Their reply: we can offer a discount on the stickers but would have to charge $15postage. Errr, thanks Stans!

Anyhow, it is much better than it was.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Much better is a good start.

That sticker discount is pretty funny. Such a strong gesture...just to rub some vinegar in that, I recently had a warranty claim on my snowboarding boots. A few emails + a few photos = full refund and a please dispose of carefully (which is 100% happening as the boots are fucked). Anyway this is nothing special but a few days later I received an unexpected parcel number from the retailer. They had without telling me sent a little package...some sunnies and stickers to say sorry for the mishap. Except...that they were sent to my old address and then returned to the retailer. :(

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Much better is a good start.

That sticker discount is pretty funny. Such a strong gesture...just to rub some vinegar in that, I recently had a warranty claim on my snowboarding boots. A few emails + a few photos = full refund and a please dispose of carefully (which is 100% happening as the boots are fucked). Anyway this is nothing special but a few days later I received an unexpected parcel number from the retailer. They had without telling me sent a little package...some sunnies and stickers to say sorry for the mishap. Except...that they were sent to my old address and then returned to the retailer. :(
Some companies get it; many don’t