That time you'd accepted you were dead...

moorey

call me Mia
Mine was today....
Driving through town with a colleague today for work, heading to Ballarat North along the midland highway. Approached a set of level crossing railway tracks, right on 1pm, and hear a deafening horn on my right hand side.....

I didn't even want to look. Wasn't interested in seeing the train that was about to obliterate me....

Held my line and clenched my cheeks...

Braced for the impact as everything seemed to play out in slow motion....

JUST made it over the tracks, heart doing at least 250bpm....

Glance to my left...colleague is white with terror....

Glance to my right to see the train that's missed us by a whisker...

...it was the 1pm lunch shift horn at the Alstom train carriage factory right beside the highway.

I bet I'm not the first to have this happen. Wonder if the workers sit there waiting and giggling at jittery old cusses like me to soil there keks. :behindsofa:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Mine was today....
Driving through town with a colleague today for work, heading to Ballarat North along the midland highway. Approached a set of level crossing railway tracks, right on 1pm, and hear a deafening horn on my right hand side.....

I didn't even want to look. Wasn't interested in seeing the train that was about to obliterate me....

Held my line and clenched my cheeks...

Braced for the impact as everything seemed to play out in slow motion....

JUST made it over the tracks, heart doing at least 250bpm....

Glance to my left...colleague is white with terror....

Glance to my right to see the train that's missed us by a whisker...

...it was the 1pm lunch shift horn at the Alstom train carriage factory right beside the highway.

I bet I'm not the first to have this happen. Wonder if the workers sit there waiting and giggling at jittery old cusses like me to soil there keks. :behindsofa:
On my regular drive to Dubbo in a life long gone, I was driving through Trangie. My colleague was asleep in the passenger seat. The shunting yard that dominates the town was occupied and the crossing lights and alarms were going. The stationary train engine was looming over the crossing but we were waved through. My colleague regained consciousness just as we were passing under the light of the train...

...we nearly crashed when she screamed in my ear and tried to climb into my seat despite her seat belt.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Lucky men !

Can just imagine what would have happened those who wear headphones while riding...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like grandpa. Not wide awake and screaming like his passengers..

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
How'd it happen Moorey, no boom gates, lights or bells? or did you drive around them!

I wager it will never happen again.

On my regular drive to Dubbo in a life long gone, I was driving through Trangie. My colleague was asleep in the passenger seat. The shunting yard that dominates the town was occupied and the crossing lights and alarms were going. The stationary train engine was looming over the crossing but we were waved through. My colleague regained consciousness just as we were passing under the light of the train...

...we nearly crashed when she screamed in my ear and tried to climb into my seat despite her seat belt.
I've heard a common joke amoungst coppers, if you off sider falls asleep, find a shopping centre with big plate glass windows to reflect the head lights, so it looks like a car coming directly at you. Drive at it, brake hard and scream head on, they wake up with a fright to say the least.

moorey

call me Mia
How'd it happen Moorey, no boom gates, lights or bells? or did you drive around them!

I wager it will never happen again.

No boom gates. No lights.....There WAS no train. The horn from the factory 50 years away, beside the crossing, just happened to be identical to a train horn..and sounded as I was about 20m from crossing the train line. Maybe this is more of a COTFW, but Fark, it gave us a scare.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That must have been an unpleasant experience! Nobody wants to be flattened by a train. It's messy as fuck.

My last house was in Newcastle's equivalent of your city's bad part of town. I've mentioned before the hookers, bike gangs, drug dealers, police and hipsters. During my time in the ghetto there was a couple of shoot-outs and street brawls between the bike gangs and a few interracial conflicts involving guns, machetes, bats etc between different African refugee groups that were lucky enough to escape civil wars and so on in Africa, and of.course the usual violence that comes from this kind of area. Just after I moved in there was a drive by turned shoot-out about 2 blocks from my house! The cops turned up well after it ended...

Anyway it was not long after the shoot-out as I rolled down my street in the early hours of the morning. A car cruised past at a low speed. This put me on edge just a little as a lot of the drug runners move their parcels around at this time of night on push bikes. I didn't want to be mistaken for speedy Joe... Not long after the first pass it came back past again. This time it was accompanied by a very loud bang! And I was hit in the neck. It stung mighty good and I put my hand up expecting to find blood. No idea if it was a fire cracker or a well timed backfire on the car, but I was sure I had been shot.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
No boom gates. No lights.....There WAS no train. The horn from the factory 50 years away, beside the crossing, just happened to be identical to a train horn..and sounded as I was about 20m from crossing the train line. Maybe this is more of a COTFW, but Fark, it gave us a scare.
Oh, I missed the no train bit, at least you know you are aneurysm safe, would have happened with your BP being 400 / 190 if you were going to have one.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
In my twenties I’d just got home on a motorcycle and forgot that we needed milk and bread. That particular bike was long, fast and way too cool for shopping so I hopped on one of my other bikes. Headed back out at warp speed, forgetting my tyres were now cold. Enter the main corner at Avonsleigh going really quick, only to see a tourist standing in the middle of my lane pointing at something high in the trees. It all becomes super slow mo, as I stand the bike up to miss him, then see the ute I’m about to hit head on, as I am now on the wrong side of the road. I clear the tourist, and lay the bike over as hard as I could to miss the ute. The tyres were cold and just gave up... I was down and going sideways directly under a Holden ute. I was a goner. This was super slo mo time, I thought I was dead. But uteguy was awesome. He swerved left real hard and his ute hit my rear wheel, which was enough to launch the ute over me. My left calf was missing a massive chunk but I was alive. The tourist drove off without a word, the uteguy and his daughter loaded my totalled bike into his ute and took me home. One of my nurse friends tended my wounds.

Yeah, for a few super slo mo nanoseconds... I was dead.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Tractor with trailer on the back loaded w firewood decides to slide down a steep slippery hill.
Manage to pull up slowly by veering into a clump of saplings , trailer jackknifes ,wood flies everywhere.
Glad I told my daughter at the top of the hill she couldnt ride in the trailer.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Lucky men !

Can just imagine what would have happened those who wear headphones while riding...
There's a long list of Darwin award candidates over on one of the Aus bicycle forums (mostly roadies and commuters?) who seem to think that it's their god given right to wear headphones while riding on the road, and (for some of them) that somehow it will increase safety :wacko::wacko:

http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=81464

Never have I read a bigger load of bullshit, and those who called them on it were given timeouts or bans for their trouble. fuckwits.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
There's a long list of Darwin award candidates over on one of the Aus bicycle forums (mostly roadies and commuters?) who seem to think that it's their god given right to wear headphones while riding on the road, and (for some of them) that somehow it will increase safety :wacko::wacko:

Never have I read a bigger load of bullshit, and those who called them on it were given timeouts or bans for their trouble. fuckwits.
Its the one thing that makes my blood boil... especially in the new world of shared use trails.

Just wait till electric cars become more common, the headphones while walking about the city will raise the gene pool IQ.

In the nanny nation laws that get made, I can see in the future where headphones are barred while mobile, similar to using your phone while driving.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Its the one thing that makes my blood boil... especially in the new world of shared use trails.

Just wait till electric cars become more common, the headphones while walking about the city will raise the gene pool IQ.

In the nanny nation laws that get made, I can see in the future where headphones are barred while mobile, similar to using your phone while driving.
I stopped posting on that site years ago because of a stupid few that kept on telling newbies to take lanes in front of fast flowing traffic, like in front of a fully loaded semi trailer. You normally see a few posts where people get cleaned up that listen to them, your life is more important than trying to prove a point to motorists and I bet they hardly ever do it themselves.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Cant stand idiots on their phones or listening to head phones crossing the road or riding their bikes.
seen one or two nearly cleaned up.
Shit I've been commuting for ever > 40 yrs about 16,000 trips each way ,havent come close .......YET , hearing stuff behind you and keeping close to the edge is so important. Off topic .
BUT did get cleaned up mountainbiking not commuting ,on my narrow dirt road though when my dopey old friend w. slow reactions didnt see me.
He rushed me to hospital with a broken face and concussion from sliding into his plastic bumper bar head on, helmet exploded prolly stopped a broken neck/worse head injury.
Have done heaps of mtbiking OS esp Morocco where if you lost your line, you would go over a cliff and fall to your death.
It really makes you concentrate. Any worse and you walk with the bike on the back wheel in front of you.
Wouldnt be allowed in Australia .

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
A few years ago now I was first on scene at a fatal roll over. The Land Cruiser had lost it going over a cattle grid...quite a bit too fast. Old Mate was dead in circumstances I won't relate but wear your fucking seatbelt so you don't go like he did. I picked up his wife, his toddler and his 6 week old infant daughter up the road a half a kay from the site...and we rolled into the nearest property for help. Not my funniest day.

Fast forward 18 months or so...and I'm charging back up the track in the work truck on route to meeting up to take over management of the property on whose southern boundary was the previously mentioned accident.

I took a damp track for granted as the dry ground beckoned. At the best part of 90 km/h the rear wheels fell into the damp ruts and the back end went away. As we went for the table drain, the rig fell over. And I remember looking at the ground through the windscreen.

The first roll was fast. The second roll scared me. Like really scared me. I thought I was gone. I felt every corner.

When the vehicle stopped it was back on its wheels. Two full rolls. It was like emerging from a pint on Guinness. A quick check of head, guts and nuts showed there was a rock about half the size of my head in my lap along with a wheel barrow load of dirt. But I was otherwise mostly unhurt.

After some shenanigans...I made it to the property. Where I was given the rounds of the kitchen by my beloved AND the lady wife of the previous owner (who I'd first met when picking up the pieces). One of the neighbours (who had responded to the fatal) that I knew well through work nearly slapped me a week later after she saw the remains of my truck at the panel beaters yard...apparently I hadn't told her and I should have known better...

Yeah...I should have.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
I once did a 100kg squat the day after curry day.

It wasn't the smartest decision i ever made.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
Around 20 years ago, driving along the Henty Hwy on the eastern side of the Grampians - unsealed, corrugated, etc - following a large truck with a MASSIVE cube of sandstone on the back. Strapping must have been worn, truck hit a big pot-hole, and watched in horror as the straps failed, boulder bounced off the back toward me. Closed my eyes accepting that I was basically FUBAR - boulder landed on the front of the car, completely flattened the front, the cab in which I was sitting flipped upwards, boulder flew out the back and ripped the rear of the car off as it went. Left me sitting TOTALLY UNSCATHED (other than my pants) inside the cab which was the only thing left of the car...

HATE following large loads now!