The 2010 Mont 24 Thread

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chicks on rigid 29ers are almost as hot as chicks that drive utes, imagine if you could combine the two!
Good to see I'm not the only person who thinks that any girl who owns a MTB automatically scores at least an 8 on the traditional out of 10 scale.... though if that bike is a single speed they only get a 6 - them singlespeeders are crazy - and a crazy girl is never good news! At prize ceremonies when they are handing out the prizes for the SS cats I just want to give them all big hugs, a few reassuring words, and most importantly - rear derailleurs:p

Utes and flanelette shirts on the other hand - meh

frensham

Likes Dirt
I assume you didn't see the handout in the MONT24 show bag?

The 'proposed' road will run along the top fire trail road, along the edge of the pines (where the toilet is). Hence taking out both the top of the camping area and pines...

Here are some facts if your interested.

ACTPLA Document

Refer Diagram 1.3 on page 1-6
Did see the doc and you are wrong. Have a look at the plan. The new road is south of the current road that runs along the pines to the toilet - the native area remains untouched. LeMatelot's diagram is cool!

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Good to see I'm not the only person who thinks that any girl who owns a MTB automatically scores at least an 8 on the traditional out of 10 scale.... though if that bike is a single speed they only get a 6 - them singlespeeders are crazy - and a crazy girl is never good news! At prize ceremonies when they are handing out the prizes for the SS cats I just want to give them all big hugs, a few reassuring words, and most importantly - rear derailleurs:p

Utes and flanelette shirts on the other hand - meh
Tsk Tsk, Ozzie... SS girls are where it's at mate. Predictable girls are boring, and, like their bikes, high maintenance. Why do you think I'm not with Niki Gudex? One reason mate, derailleurs. Plain and simple. Take my advice and steer well clear of the "shifty chicks".

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
though if that bike is a single speed they only get a 6 - them singlespeeders are crazy - and a crazy girl is never good news!
Fair enough taking points off for poor wheel choice, but SS chix start at 11 no matter how crazy they are.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Damn, only ten photos of me - one great one where I'm leaning in to a turn and looking very fast (must have been very good work by the camera man to give that impression) but $17.50 is a lot of moolah for one photo -> I paid $50 to get about 45 photos from the Sydney 24, and those photos with all the mud grit rain and pain really told a story - not sure I'll bother with $45 for all 10 photos or 17.50 for one photo this time (And I love photos, specifically being in them that is;) if only I had something I could actually show off at)

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Kowen is useless for a 24 Hour now that motocross riders are officially sanctioned to ride there (they even hold events there now). If you have tried to ride the old Kowen single track you will see that the motocross tossers have all but rendered it useless for MTB. It would be pointless to build new tracks only to have them destroyed by motocross tossers.
If they're officially allowed there, then calling them tossers is a bit harsh.

Anyway it seems possible that the event could be held at Sparrow again next year, if the stars are in alignment with the camping. Which is cool :)

Regarding Majura, I don't see them stringing together ~19k of flowing singletrack there. Certainly it wouldn't be of the same style as Sparrow - it would have to include pretty much everything in Majura including the techo bits and hilly bits and such.

I'm guessing that when the Mont was held at Madge, it was a lot smaller an event than it is now?

frensham

Likes Dirt
If they're officially allowed there, then calling them tossers is a bit harsh.
They are tossers because they have no respect for the countless hours of work that goes into building trails for MTBs. They are not allowed to ride on them but they do!! SO, they are tossers in my opinion. If they could be bothered to build their own trails all well and good but they just find the MTB trails and destroy them. TOSSERS

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Yes wrecking other people's stuff definitely makes someone a tosser. But first Frensham said they are allowed there ("officially sanctioned to ride there") but is now saying they're not ("they are not allowed to ride on them but they do"). It's one or the other...
Btw some do do trail work, and lots of it. I'm not defending the tossers that certainly exist, I'm just pointing out the dangers of broad-brush stereotypes - something MTB'ers should be aware of considering the press we sometimes get due to a minority within our own ranks. But rant away by all means :)

Last edited:

sambo12

Squid
Kowen is useless for a 24 Hour now that motocross riders are officially sanctioned to ride there (they even hold events there now). If you have tried to ride the old Kowen single track you will see that the motocross tossers have all but rendered it useless for MTB. It would be pointless to build new tracks only to have them destroyed by motocross tossers.
And what makes you so special over and above motocross and enduro riders?

Go and have a go on a dirtbike and you'll appreciate what's involved in riding one. In fact, involve both dirtbikes and MTB into your training regime and your skills & fitness will improve out of sight for both disciplines! They're a perfect match and ideally complement each other.

Then again, you sound like someone who's more inclined to suck rod.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
And what makes you so special over and above motocross and enduro riders?
Because he's not destroying trails that weren't built for him.

Paul Cole and others built the singletrack at Kowen for MTBers. Last I heard (which is admittedly a couple of years ago) dirt bike riders in Kowen were permitted on formed roads only, which means no singletrack.

Paul Cole has been in the middle of trackbuilding whilst dirt bikers have ridden up to him on his trails. When he waved them off, he was flipped the bird, then dirt bike put front brake on, back wheel spun to dig up a big hole in the track.

He has to hide the first dozen or so metres of his singletrack when it's not race-day, so that it won't be ruined by dirt bikers who have no respect for MTB singletrack

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Any of the non official photographers get a shot

...of the country gent in the tweed.

My Aurora images file only has two very distant shots on a straight piece of fire trail. Would like something a tad more exciting if any of the other folks out there got any decent shots.

Garrath

Likes Dirt
Anyway.......

The Mont was excellent. Well done to all the organisers. Our team of 6 which became 5 before the start then morphed to 4 during the race had a great time.

I do hope the Mont continues next year.