The 29er thread.

Win

Likes Dirt
The Minutes are OK, they work, they are light and now DW have redued their price, decent value.
They are also a good fork for SS use, fick the Absolute setting to 3 to take out any bob but they will still work on the bigger stuff.
One tip, get some slick honey to regularly grease the stanchion seals to reduce the stiction

DW-1

Dirt Works
The Minutes are OK, they work, they are light and now DW have redued their price, decent value.
They are also a good fork for SS use, fick the Absolute setting to 3 to take out any bob but they will still work on the bigger stuff.
One tip, get some slick honey to regularly grease the stanchion seals to reduce the stiction
the 2010 modelsl with the new Absolute PLUS damper are in stock now. (100mm)

Elvis.

DW-1

Dirt Works
dedicated 29er forum?

so like... I've heard this rumour right... (and, at this point, it's just a rumour)

But I heard that there may be a dedicated 29er only forum coming to Rotorburn... :cool:

Elvis.

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
so like... I've heard this rumour right... (and, at this point, it's just a rumour)

But I heard that there may be a dedicated 29er only forum coming to Rotorburn... :cool:

Elvis.
I hope not. I prefer forums to be divided as they are. I like the Enduro/XC forum and wouldn't want it to be divided.

I see no reason for the MTB community to be split along the lines of what bikes people ride.

Lets all hang out and enjoy the bush together no matter what we're on.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
When I built my most recent bike I wanted to draw on the wealths of knowledge around here.
I knew every thing from wheelsets, tyres, gear ratios, framesets etc has been discussed at length by the more experienced and knowledgable folk in here.
The problem was that it was all in this one thread and hard to find.
I think a dedicated 29er forum would help as there would be separate threads on all these topics that we could all reference easily.
I don't see it as separating the community but more like cataloguing a library.

Last edited:

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
When I built my most recent bike I wanted to draw on the wealths of knowledge around here.
I knew every thing from wheelsets, tyres, gear ratios, framesets etc has been discussed at length by the more experienced and knowledgable folk in here.
I think a dedicated 29er forum would help as there would be separate threads on all these topics that we could all reference easily.
Good point Hugor,
Many forums have a tag option so threads can fit within a sub forum. For example, this is the best layout I've come across
www.whirlpool.net.au
Notice how within each subsection there are tags on the right for specific topics,

Applying that here.

We would have the XC/Enduro Forum > Category within.'
So when someone starts a thread that select a sub-category and the thread is tagged with that.
WHen you view the XC/Enduro Forum you have the option of then selecting only those threads from a specific Sub-Category.
Sub-Categories could include:
Training
Races
29ers
Full Suspension
Hardtail
Equipment
Nutrition & Hydration

etc,,

Thoughts? Can this forum be set up like that or not?

chumbox

Likes Bikes
+1... exactly why I currently don't use rotorburn for this sort of info for 29ers

Ba55

Likes Bikes
It should be possible to have a 29er sub-forum within the XC/Enduro forum similar to the way the For Sale section is set up.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Subforum?
Well where does that leave bikes like the WFO or the Intense 2951?
Great work on the new subforum.
cheers

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yeap

Is anyone using the Manitou Minute 29er fork? If so is it any good?
I am a massive man and have owned a Minute QR and 20mm both 120mm. Get the Click Fix from Manitou and have installed and run 5 weight oil to get the most out of them. Manitou are light, smooth and buttery at half the cost of other major brands. Never had a problem with them. Get from the USA as local costs are extortion.
JD

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
Another tyre pressure question....sorry

My name is Kris and I'm female on a rigid Haro Mar(t)y 29er singlespeed (32T, 20T).

A couple of months ago I would have said I ride a blue bike with round black wheels. After reading a number of forums and posts, I'm probably at the stage where I have enough information to be dangerous.

Recently I received some advice that I should be deflating my wheels by one psi after every ride until I pinch flat, so I can find the right tyre pressure and provide myself a bit of 'give' whilst riding. Yes, I'm sure this is advice that has been mentioned many a time, in many different posts. I have to admit, I'm slow.

Tonight whilst riding I noticed that yes, the rear tyre pressure was nice and low, giving me plenty of cushioning (I also noticed the rear wheel 'slipped' a few times whilst climbing, but I think this is more my technique than the tyre pressure - yes?). However, I also noticed that whilst the tyre pressure was low, it also allowed the rear wheel to slide out on a number of corners, similar to the feeling when you've gotten a flat.

My question are these:
In the process of reducing tyre pressure to find the right pressure, is there a point where too low a pressure is also bad?
Does body weight or technical ability play a part in working out the right tyre pressure?
And finally, does the terrain play a part? For example, would I have a different pressure for Stromlo over Sparrow over Majura?

Keep in mind when providing your answers, my bike is blue and stick figure diagrams would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Kris