The 29er thread.

krisko

Likes Dirt
I am currently using Stans rims,valves and yellow tape on my race bike.

However I used 3m fibreglass tape and valves cut out from a tube, with the same method and same success.

Another tip is play to play with the latex consistancy. For best sealing results it needs to flow i the tyre and to be thick enough to seal quickly. 60%latex 30%window cleaner and 10% water works well for me(I mix on the go) and it takes all of 30 secounds to do.

Yorto

Likes Dirt
I am currently using Stans rims,valves and yellow tape on my race bike.

However I used 3m fibreglass tape and valves cut out from a tube, with the same method and same success.

Another tip is play to play with the latex consistancy. For best sealing results it needs to flow i the tyre and to be thick enough to seal quickly. 60%latex 30%window cleaner and 10% water works well for me(I mix on the go) and it takes all of 30 secounds to do.
Yeah I need to look at the removable steams if I can find them with a tube that has the longer stem haha.
Need to go get another tyre as the Ignitor I don't think is going to stay on the front for to long.I will get another crossmark today to replace the Kenda on the rear that lost pretty much 20psi over night :(. I am going to go with the WSS as they call it on MTBR.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=6396356&postcount=354
The next time I hope I have more tyre choice and I will most likely go a rim strip or just a valve with the yellow tape as I have heard that works well.

Last edited:

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yorto
Why are you looking at other tyres?
Lots of people have used the Crossmarks and Ignitors tubeless with great success.
Is it just that you have not had success immediately or is it that you dont like the tyres for your riding?
What type of riding are you doing?
I thought I read that you mainly use your bike for commuting.
If so I would think that there are better options.
Also I would think that sticking with tubes would be better so that you can swap between tyres depending on whether you are commuting or offroading on any given day.

Yorto

Likes Dirt
Yorto
Why are you looking at other tyres?
Lots of people have used the Crossmarks and Ignitors tubeless with great success.
Is it just that you have not had success immediately or is it that you dont like the tyres for your riding?
What type of riding are you doing?
I thought I read that you mainly use your bike for commuting.
If so I would think that there are better options.
Also I would think that sticking with tubes would be better so that you can swap between tyres depending on whether you are commuting or offroading on any given day.
Lately it is just around home or to work but mainly INTEND for offroad fire trails single track etc. My old combination of crossmark rear and larsen front worked really well (and has got the ghetto tubeless running in it and has not lost any psi). I need to get the rear sorted before sunday as I am doing The Oaks. I have another crossmark coming in the mail (may use as a spare) or put on the front if I don't like the Ignitor (I find it has been flicking to much stuff on the bottom tube. Maybe it's a new tyre and just needs to be worn slightly I am unsure.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lately it is just around home or to work but mainly INTEND for offroad fire trails single track etc. My old combination of crossmark rear and larsen front worked really well (and has got the ghetto tubeless running in it and has not lost any psi). I need to get the rear sorted before sunday as I am doing The Oaks. I have another crossmark coming in the mail (may use as a spare) or put on the front if I don't like the Ignitor (I find it has been flicking to much stuff on the bottom tube. Maybe it's a new tyre and just needs to be worn slightly I am unsure.
You obviously have different conditions to me as when I was riding 26" I could not get rid of my Larsens quick enough.
Absolutely hated them.
The Ignitors do flick stuff up, but why do you care? To me that means it is digging in and doing its job.
Put some protective 3M tape on the downtube and forget about it.
The Ignitor is a great tyre for a variety of conditions and the Ignitor front, Crossmark rear is one of the most common combinations I see.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I'm with Sumgy on this one.
Tubeless Ignitors (front) and Crossmark (rear) has been my favourite combo for a couple of years now.
They are a very light combo too and seal easily.

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have another crossmark coming in the mail (may use as a spare) or put on the front if I don't like the Ignitor (I find it has been flicking to much stuff on the bottom tube. Maybe it's a new tyre and just needs to be worn slightly I am unsure.[/QUOTE]

WOW......... your going to give a great tyre/combo the toss because it's flicking to much shit:eek::eek:

Granted i'm new to the 29er thing but I know good tyre's whens I ride them.
I put my Ignitor/crossmark combo through the ringer today in tacky conditions and am happy to
say they passed with flying colours, I wasn't to impressed when I first rode them but that was at a
higher PSI but have scince lowered the psi between 20 & 30 and what a change!!
The ignitors still throw bits and pieces but I couldn't give a shit, if Maxxis made a Advantage in 29"
that would be my pick.........but......... if your riding pavement and gravel 50/50 i'd go with
the crossmarks;)

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
From DW catalogue...

Hey

Sorry to change topic for one sec but just hoping someone might have an idea of what a Niner MCR frame is worth in Australia now that DW has them?
$1249 RRP for MCR9. SIR9 is $1330 RRP I think. EMD9 is $799 which is pretty cool.

.... eagerly awaiting a SIR.... :)

Also, on the tubeless topic, I've just failed at converting Racing Ralphs. Looked like they were holding then went flat 20km into the ride. Put a tube in and it flatted later too. Time to try Nanoraptors, or failing that the new Maxxis Aspin.

Yorto

Likes Dirt
Granted i'm new to the 29er thing but I know good tyre's whens I ride them.
I put my Ignitor/crossmark combo through the ringer today in tacky conditions and am happy to
say they passed with flying colours, I wasn't to impressed when I first rode them but that was at a
higher PSI but have scince lowered the psi between 20 & 30 and what a change!!
The ignitors still throw bits and pieces but I couldn't give a shit, if Maxxis made a Advantage in 29"
that would be my pick.........but......... if your riding pavement and gravel 50/50 i'd go with
the crossmarks;)
I am going to see how the Ignitor F Crossmark R go. I have only given it a go on the paths and grass around home. Big test is tomorrow and will let you know how I go.

Yorto

Likes Dirt
Were you one of the up and back guys I met on the Oaks? Didn't see any 29ers in morning.
No. We got off the train at 8:52 And were the first ones down the track from that train. Was a good day but could have done it even earlier. The 29er with tubeless carves it up on the single track. The big dipper I managed to get up to 63.1k on which is the fastest I have ever been on a mtb.

I am still yet to see another 29er. But that was the first time I had been on a weekend. I know there is someone with the same bike as me from the Mountains that does The Oaks.

Last edited:

*stew*

Squid
more 29ers at the Oaks

No. We got off the train at 8:52 And were the first ones down the track from that train. Was a good day but could have done it even earlier. The 29er with tubeless carves it up on the single track. The big dipper I managed to get up to 63.1k on which is the fastest I have ever been on a mtb.

I am still yet to see another 29er. But that was the first time I had been on a weekend. I know there is someone with the same bike as me from the Mountains that does The Oaks.
Hey Yorto,

I did the up and back on Saturday morning on the Giant 29er. I even saw a few 29ers coming back down to Glenbrook. The big wheels are perfect for the Oaks I reckon. Coming back down from the helipad to Glenbrook, it's crazy fast!

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
Hey Yorto,

I did the up and back on Saturday morning on the Giant 29er. I even saw a few 29ers coming back down to Glenbrook. The big wheels are perfect for the Oaks I reckon. Coming back down from the helipad to Glenbrook, it's crazy fast!
Might see you there next time. I did the up and back two weeks ago and thought I would start doing it more often. Just not real fast and hopefully on a 29er soon.

dyon

Likes Bikes
Is anyone using the Manitou Minute 29er fork? If so is it any good?
I got one cheap from Jenson in November and have it on my El Mariachi. Seems to work quite well. I'm not terribly fussy about forks, but it does everything I expect of it. I'm fairly light and tend to keep my wheels on the ground, so I'm unsure how it would perform if that's not your style. I like the Absolute+ control, though I really only use the first 3 or 4 clicks out of about 8.