Orange brake lines as well?

• Stay classy with just orange shifter and dropper

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Go big or go home orange brake lines as well

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I have been looking for a steel hardtail for a while to take over commuting duties as well as having fun on the side. Meet the new beast of burden, picked it up localy and have moved a few things around to make it a bit more commuter friendly but damn this thing is fun on the trails. Got it single speed which is the preference anyway so bullet proof and will always be working when the full squish needs work. Climbs great and descends well but the frame is a bit large for me so I will have to either work around that with technique and balls or swap for a frame that fits better.

Edit: Done a far bit with the beast recently most notably a 9 spd drive train (thanks @moorey) and built up some DT Swiss wheels instead of the hope/eastern ones it came with. Lots of other little changes as well and the big question, more orange or not?? cast your vote.

Frame - Large 2013 Kona Honzo St
Rear shock - Steel
Front shock/fork - 2018 Fox rhythm 29er 130mm
Handlebars - Renthal fat bar 780mm
Stem - Race face Aefect
Headset - Cane Creek
Grips - ODI lock on
Saddle - Bontrager
Seatpost - Fox transfer (thanks @hifiandmtb)
Front brake - Shimano SLX M7000 levers on XT M8000 calipers with Hope 180mm rotor
Rear brake - Shimano SLX M7000 on XT M8000 calipers with Hope 160mm rotor
Cranks - Race face turbine
Chain - Sram 9 spd
Pedals - DMR Vaults
Front derailleur - Unnecessary
Rear derailleur - Shimano Zee wide range
Front shifter - None
Rear shifter - Awkward, as above
Cassette - Sunrace 11-40 9 speed
Front hub - DT Swiss 350
Rear hub - DT Swiss 350
Front rim - DT Swiss M1900
Rear rim - DT Swiss M1900
Spokes - Connect the hub to the nipple
Nipples - Connect the spoke to the rim
Tyres - Bontrager SE4 Team issue 2.4 front and Michelin Wild Grip R 2.25 rear
Tubes - Adsent
Total weight - Fun

Last edited:

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
Sweet ride, I’ve always been Honzo-curious.
If the brake is still dragging, I have a 185mm caliper mount bracket that may sort the issue.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Sweet ride, I’ve always been Honzo-curious.
If the brake is still dragging, I have a 185mm caliper mount bracket that may sort the issue.
Thanks @glenn1529 it's a great bike to ride always smiling no matter whether you're going up or down. As for the brake, thanks for the offer, it turned out to be the rear brake mounting tab touching the rotor on the piece that attaches the spider to the rotor that allows the rotor to float. I adjusted the caliper so it has a mm of clearance, guess it was just a really tight tolerance. Changing over to XT brakes later this week so will have to play the adjustment game again.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice Unit! Have a mate with one of these, same colour by the looks. Started out fully rigid but he's since added a suspension fork and he reckons it transformed it

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Nice Unit! Have a mate with one of these, same colour by the looks. Started out fully rigid but he's since added a suspension fork and he reckons it transformed it
I'm not crazy enough for full rigid, 130mm up front is perfect I think. Haven't found a trail that wasn't fun on this thing, honestly I chicken out before the bike does :D

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
This thing has me searching for 2013 honzo's. I wish I never saw one. So much inspiration from the early 90s konas I love but all the right changes to make it awesome. The kid seat is even an accessory I need to get my two year old out. Love it.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
This thing has me searching for 2013 honzo's. I wish I never saw one. So much inspiration from the early 90s konas I love but all the right changes to make it awesome. The kid seat is even an accessory I need to get my two year old out. Love it.
Yeah the colour is even better in person. To be honest this is the most fun bike I have ever ridden and I pick it everytime over the full squish.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I love the block lettering just like the pre-97 bikes too. It's almost like an updated version of the 94 Cinder Cones. So cool.

What would you say you've spent roughly if you don't mind me asking?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I love the block lettering just like the pre-97 bikes too. It's almost like an updated version of the 94 Cinder Cones. So cool.

What would you say you've spent roughly if you don't mind me asking?
Yeah the retro lettering and orange and gold colour scheme really works for me. It was a bit contentious when it came out (thread on mtbr following honzos back to 2012) but I think it's aged awesome.

I bought the bike for $1200 and it looked like it had hardly been ridden. Have swapped a few things around but haven't had to spend any more money on it.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
+ orange grips for the win. That's a little "o" not a capital, Oranges don't win.I'm not sure what primitive single pivot grips like, I've never tried.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Can't see voting buttons but I can see that you don't have orange brake cables

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Will chase up what happened to the voting buttons. Currently have orange dropper and shifter cable debating going all the way with orange brake lines as well.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Seatpost looks bling!

Frame doesn't look too big - plenty of room to adjust with stack height, good seatpost extension.