The bike industry crisis

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I mathed it at about 5% in 2021 and 3% for 2022. That's pretty shit house.
So where are all the profits from these overpriced bikes? :p

Scott Sports is a pretty diverse company with clothing, googles, helmets, ski equipment as well as bikes, so it might be hard to determine where the most profit comes from.
From the bike manufacturing side, you would have to make all the profit from the initial sale, as unlike motorcycles and auto, you sell very little in spares which is a sizable part of the income in those industries.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So where are all the profits from these overpriced bikes? :p

Scott Sports is a pretty diverse company with clothing, googles, helmets, ski equipment as well as bikes, so it might be hard to determine where the most profit comes from.
From the bike manufacturing side, you would have to make all the profit from the initial sale, as unlike motorcycles and auto, you sell very little in spares which is a sizable part of the income in those industries.

The cost of adding min to the supply chain is pretty big.

Who knows how that final figure was derived? Is the 5% just what the parent company draws back? That would inly need to be better than the bank if they are just an investment company or a low anomaly in a long term plan. Could be there is a lot of $$$ written off in losses, intra-entity loans, R'n'D, or questionable expenses to family and friends. There's plenty of ways to disguise things if you want to. What is their discretionary spending on cocaine like?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Discretionary spending...
Rules exist in corporate land almost solely because someone did something the board disapproves of.

Advances on Per Diems spent in foreign nations, when not even in that nation, spent on coke, was a thing.

Loved that $99 corporate expenses tax receipt threshold I had to work under. Wasn’t publicised, being lazy with image management caught me out, and I discovered it was hidden in a NAB Flexipurchase config page. Also wasn’t any automated way to check images of receipts were unique and not reused.

Combine the two and you’ll look 70 when you’re 35 in no time at all. If lucky you’ll find yourself in a warm part of the world.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Pole gone by the looks of it. All broken swingarms wouldn't have helped and not sure on their investor situation.

Appears not many had received bikes this year. Some customers have paid €10k.

I guess watch this space

View attachment 408709
Ouch, would be pretty upset if I had an order in as getting money back one bankruptcy is filed is usually very tricky. Makes you think if buying from smaller manufacturers currently is a risk, it’s not like you ask to see their financials before placing an order.

Minlak

custom titis
Ouch, would be pretty upset if I had an order in as getting money back one bankruptcy is filed is usually very tricky. Makes you think if buying from smaller manufacturers currently is a risk, it’s not like you ask to see their financials before placing an order.
Getting your money back after a company filed for bankruptcy is actually pretty easy compared to getting money back from a company that claims it has no money to give.
Easy as in terms of you are listed as a creditor then you do nothing you will either get it or you wont and depending on the set up and country of the business they may seize owner assets to help pay.

I waited 5 years once and a cheque magically showed up one day as they had finally sorted out the company finances and sold assets to pay the debts

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Getting your money back after a company filed for bankruptcy is actually pretty easy compared to getting money back from a company that claims it has no money to give.
Easy as in terms of you are listed as a creditor then you do nothing you will either get it or you wont and depending on the set up and country of the business they may seize owner assets to help pay.

I waited 5 years once and a cheque magically showed up one day as they had finally sorted out the company finances and sold assets to pay the debts

I finally got my super about a month ago from the business I was working for that went under back in 2018.
It's actually amazing how long it takes to wrap things up; and that was a very small company with what should have been a very simple accounting/recovery process

Minlak

custom titis
I finally got my super about a month ago from the business I was working for that went under back in 2018.
It's actually amazing how long it takes to wrap things up; and that was a very small company with what should have been a very simple accounting/recovery process
Yeah it’s happened to me twice now - once as a creditor (as in I had paid money and needed a refund) and once as a worker - the work one was about 3 yrs and I got all my pay and holidays - the administrator explained that smaller companies are the worst as many purchases are made as company expense when actually personal and making sure you get all the vehicles and assets accounted for takes ages and they often have to seize the items through a court process as the owners hide them or dispose of them and they have to trace it all.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Probably. I own a bike from GG that went under.
I’ll still be buying the bikes I want regardless. I want to support the little guys. Little guys push boundaries more, usually innovate more and build stuff that appeals to me for many reasons.
Of course I’d be feeling any potential company out but I won’t be going out and buying a Giant next just so I don’t have to worry about warranty support.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Is Kona next? We know Kona and Marin have been in trouble for while

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Is Kona next? We know Kona and Marin have been in trouble for while

when your company gets bought out by a bunch Kents and Dicks... :p

1713406719106.png