The BMX Race thread.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I'm disappointed that BMX continues to produce cyclist for the other disciplines - track, mtb etc. We need to keep them in our sport but it is too often looked on as the "training wheels" to the overall sport of cycling.
a lot also comes down to club politics. we had a run where after State Titles in Clarence Valley (Grafton, next town north of us) in 2004, our internal politics tore the club apart and we lost most of our riders, including most of the cruiser riders. our track was shite because one of our club officials took it upon himself to keep changing things although he knew nothing about actually building jumps, and his wife was our club secretary. a lot of bullying went on. needless to say they were eventually told to leave the club although their kids were still welcome to ride. at the moment we have a great track after our club took on States a couple of years back, and the sprocket class is three gates, pretty big for us. there's only myself and a 50+ cruiser rider now tho, and we mostly ride with the 14-16 boys.

we've also been told by the Council that our track will have to be moved to the Velodrome site sometime in the next year or so, that may be beyond our financial capability and then the club will fold.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm disappointed that BMX continues to produce cyclist for the other disciplines - track, mtb etc. We need to keep them in our sport but it is too often looked on as the "training wheels" to the overall sport of cycling.
Bound to happen when the kids start so early and race so much. Burn out

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well said :)

Norco Maniac

Is back!
introducing Nicole the Apollo Spitfire survivor

with the Retro Grands coming up at the end of the month, hosted by Macarthur BMX Club in Elderslie, i thought i'd post up Nicole's story :)

Nicole is a 1982 Apollo Spitfire 20" which my good friend found for me in the dark depths of the Bike Recycler's Shed that he runs in Coffs Harbour. She was named by the guys in honour of the bike Nicole Kidman rode in BMX Bandits :D Sadly, CHESS Employment who have been funding the project have decided to terminate this valuable resource, it closes in two weeks. My friend and his team were recycling and selling bikes to the unemployed, pensioners, students and low income earners for as little as $40.00, and i was absolutely stoked that he found me this little gem! Nicole came complete with Araya rims, Suzue hubs, Tange frame and forks, and two of the original Apollo Spitfire pads.

Nicole has just come back from the final touches to her makeover, courtesy of Ventoux Cycles here in Coffs Harbour. Nicole underwent a few cosmetic surgeries to have her complete and race fit for the Retro Grands, where the bikes have to be in original condition with NOS or era-specific reproduction parts. This meant sourcing one-piece cranks, rat-trap pedals, and Comp III tyres, including both purchases from members of a vintage BMX forum - thanks, guys! and donations from The Reverend and prosixtyfour. My friend from the Bike Recycling Shed also donated me a couple of chainrings to choose from.

so for the grand total of $240.00, here is Nicole looking decidedly cool for a survivor. She makes her debut in the Grands at the end of the month, hopefully her rider will be up for the challenge! :D Like her owner, Nicole's obviously been around the block a few times, but still has a lot of riding days left in her

Attachments

Last edited:

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
with the Retro Grands coming up at the end of the month, hosted by Macarthur BMX Club in Elderslie, i thought i'd post up Nicole's story :)

Nicole is a 1982 Apollo Spitfire 20" which my good friend found for me in the dark depths of the Bike Recycler's Shed that he runs in Coffs Harbour. She was named by the guys in honour of the bike Nicole Kidman rode in BMX Bandits :D Sadly, CHESS Employment who have been funding the project have decided to terminate this valuable resource, it closes in two weeks. My friend and his team were recycling and selling bikes to the unemployed, pensioners, students and low income earners for as little as $40.00, and i was absolutely stoked that he found me this little gem! Nicole came complete with Araya rims, Suzue hubs, Tange frame and forks, and two of the original Apollo Spitfire pads.

Nicole has just come back from the final touches to her makeover, courtesy of Ventoux Cycles here in Coffs Harbour. Nicole underwent a few cosmetic surgeries to have her complete and race fit for the Retro Grands, where the bikes have to be in original condition with NOS or era-specific reproduction parts. This meant sourcing one-piece cranks, rat-trap pedals, and Comp III tyres, including both purchases from members of a vintage BMX forum - thanks, guys! and donations from The Reverend and prosixtyfour. My friend from the Bike Recycling Shed also donated me a couple of chainrings to choose from.

so for the grand total of $240.00, here is Nicole looking decidedly cool for a survivor. She makes her debut in the Grands at the end of the month, hopefully her rider will be up for the challenge! :D Like her owner, Nicole's obviously been around the block a few times, but still has a lot of riding days left in her

Oh man... that bike is like 11 years older than me!

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry guys, not going to bother putting this in the for sale section... BUT.
I'm looking to sell my wheels, bars and cranks.
$20 for bars (Redline Flight)
$30 for cranks with BB/spindle (Redline flight 180mm)
$120 for wheels (Redline hubs on Envy Rims, 100% true)
All parts have literally had very little use, a few small marks on the cranks, small mark on bars. Wheels are in fantastic condition.
IMG_2211.jpg

condog

Likes Dirt
Hello Chaps. Condog here from the Downhill parts of this forum....
My recent traing program for sprints has tired me out as im sick of looking at the wall in the shed on the bike trainer or rollers. So i thought why not do my sprint training on a bmx?
I rode a bit a while ago and i had this thing-

was a pretty noble steed for sure...
anyway this is what i bought the other day for $350.00. Good buy?

Can somebody tell me what year model both of these are? =3
also am i going to be at a big dissadvantage if i swap the cranks out to 170mm... Preferably 165mm? I want to keep it as similar as i can to my downhill bike for obvious reasons. (I run 165 on the dh bike).
dont think i'll be racing just doing it for a funner alternative for sprint training on the wind trainer...

and can somebody point me into the right direction for racing tyres...Keep in mind i can get maxxis really cheap from work.
cheeerrs.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My recent traing program for sprints has tired me out as im sick of looking at the wall in the shed on the bike trainer or rollers. So i thought why not do my sprint training on a bmx?

was a pretty noble steed for sure...
anyway this is what i bought the other day for $350.00. Good buy?

Can somebody tell me what year model both of these are? =3
also am i going to be at a big dissadvantage if i swap the cranks out to 170mm... Preferably 165mm? I want to keep it as similar as i can to my downhill bike for obvious reasons. (I run 165 on the dh bike).
dont think i'll be racing just doing it for a funner alternative for sprint training on the wind trainer...

and can somebody point me into the right direction for racing tyres...Keep in mind i can get maxxis really cheap from work.
cheeerrs.
Cranks wise I would suggest 175mm.. much more leverage, easier to push a higher gear. Same deal with 180's, but I find it hard to spin out with them. Tyres wise if your keen on maxxis go holy rollers...

condog

Likes Dirt
Cranks wise I would suggest 175mm.. much more leverage, easier to push a higher gear. Same deal with 180's, but I find it hard to spin out with them. Tyres wise if your keen on maxxis go holy rollers...
Hmm i have a set of 175 fsa carbon pro roadie cranks lying around. Anybody know if they will be strong enough for bmx?

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A classic beast for sure! Ultraboxes are brilliant :) no wonder you stuck with them!

Good buy?
Not bad for $350 provided it's good condition! That's the 2010 model I believe

First question, how tall are you? That's going to determine it more than anything, then 5mm above will work the leverage like Hayden mentioned. Most people will be either 170's or 175's- Depends what kind of training you're targeting. If it's for sprints, I'd actually stick with the normal length and work on turning them over fast in tight circles.

cheeerrs.
I run DTH's and can't fault them. They were the Maxxis set designed for Beijing. Micro knobbies are their competitor and most people prefer one of the other, I find DTH's roll faster. Much grippier than what they look too.

Ps. LADS??? There's ladies here too darling ;)

Last edited:

anth69

Likes Dirt
the year model is on that little decal on the seat stay just under the brake lever , black/white is '08 ( i have that year cruiser )

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm i have a set of 175 fsa carbon pro roadie cranks lying around. Anybody know if they will be strong enough for bmx?
If they're the ones with the external bottom bracket they'll be plenty strong enough mate, as long as your not coming up too short on gaps and the likes... but i don't think that would be a problem for you.
Stay smooth, they'll go fine. We've got some guys at our club who run ultegra and dura ace cranks, as well as the road pedals too... and they all work fine.

And those 2 bikes are an 06 and an 08.

Last edited:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
the Retro Grands are upon us, with riders coming from SA, Vic, QLD and NSW - and i've been informed we have female riders ranging from age 11 to 60 on our gate, should be interesting!

Nicole (aka The Yellow Peril) is now era-specific and ready to rock and roll. we race on Saturday with about an hour to familiarise ourselves with both a 20" and a new track lol. see you on the other side of the weekend!!

Attachments

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone know a cheap place to get some 1'75 Onza's... want to swap out my Powerblock on the front for something with a bit more grippage

Norco Maniac

Is back!
2011 Retro Grands, Macarthur BMX Club

and an awesome day was had by all! :clap2:props to the organizer, Darren Blair :clap2:who unfortunately busted himself a couple of days prior but still threw his home open to us to camp in. riders from SA, QLD, and Victoria came to race, as well as myself from Northern NSW - ages ranged from about 10yro to over 55, with some serious tussling going on in the Vet Pro class. i didn't get to take many racing photos as i was up at the gate myself, but here's a few from the day. it's on the BMX calendar as an Open next year, 15th November, so why not build yourself an oldschool bike and come race?

Attachments

RB 24

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

a little off topic here but in Victoria we lost a great young lady racer in a tragic car accident.

Ebony Dunsworth (sister of AA and DK Team rider Matt and Dad Trevor from Cairns) passed away in a tragic vehicle accident. Ebony was a state and National Plate holder that had a great future.

without going into details for respect of family and friends it involved a driver that may have been intoxicated/speeding.

As a Dad with kids PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE think before you get in a car with anyone you dont trust or has been drinking. Parents shouldnt bury their children.

the greater BMX Family send their prayers and condolences to all family and to her close friends.

RB

Last edited:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

a little off topic here but in Victoria we lost a great young lady racer in a tragic car accident.

Ebony Dunsworth (sister of AA and DK Team rider Matt and Dad Trevor from Cairns) passed away in a tragic vehicle accident. Ebony was a state and National Plate holder that had a great future.

without going into details for respect of family and friends it involved a driver that may have been intoxicated/speeding.

As a Dad with kids PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE think before you get in a car with anyone you dont trust or has been drinking. Kids shouldnt bury their children.

the greater BMX Family send their prayers and condolences to all family and to her close friends.

RB
My heart goes out to the family, what a tragedy. If there's one thing we know about the BMX community, we're all family no matter the difference. Although I don't know the family by name, if there's anything we can do please let us know RB? Hope that they find the support and love they need in such an awful time...

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tafe finishes on monday... so its training time.
My dilema i.. do I
A) Join a gym, do explosive power based stuff, as well as sprints and riding
B) Dont join a gym... more sprinting and do stair jumps and your regular strength stuff @ home (along with training / weekend riding)

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Could do either? At a gym you might get specific strategies to target muscle groups, etc for best results...
But I'm a big believer in the home gym concept. Big cans of beetroot haha make for weights!

Get a training buddy either way :)