The Brackenbury - Creswick, Vic - 22nd 23rd October

MrsH

Likes Dirt
Are the runs & MTB race both on Sunday?
That could be a spanner in the works as I want to run and he wants to ride, and we have our 6 yo to care for.. :|

akashra

Eats Squid
Doh, so much for SurfCoast on Saturday and this on Sunday.

Looks like I'm racing at Erica on Sunday then :)

MrsH

Likes Dirt
Thanks yerg,

I am so confused... According to drfuentes' post earlier in this thread the MTB race is on Sunday..

Best thing might be to wait for the organisers to update their website with a schedule, can anyone advise when this might happen?

Cheers
Meagan

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
I've been holding back posting in this thread, but really this makes me sad !

I grew up in Ballarat, and still often ride the trails between Ballarat to Crewswick and beyond when visiting my folks out that way. It's fantastic to see more interest and more events etc... but being the same weekend as the surf coast (which I committed to ages ago) will hurt numbers, and so will stuffing around with the details until the last min... I just worry that organisers and more importantly parks, and other community groups will take a poor turnout to be a negative sign about the value of supporting MTB in their area.

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
Corrections and check the vibe

Sorry Mrs H I took my focus off the website for 24hrs

I do not know who "Yerg" is and James Pearce for all of his reluctance to drag us down is not part of any of the Ballarat clubs who are doing proactive positive things

The Brackenbury half marathon will start on SATURDAY 22nd October at 9.30 am.
So will the 5 and 10 k run. Just after that the family fun run will be on. So any 6 year olds will be well catered for

Or enter the tike on a mtb coaching session

Or take him to the new "Magic pudding playground" in the centre of town, or the alpaca mill and pat a cria.

Or take him tadpoling in the creek

In fact all day saturday there will be social mtb rides and a cyclocross event in addition to the running.

My kids will be there

There will be introductions to the sport of frisbee also. FREE

On the Sunday the MTB epic will commence at 10am

All day sunday will be the "BIG WET" ultimate frisbee event who will be looking for teams to enter a fun day on the oval.

Now that we have negotiate the land access we are just waiting for the merchant banking to be up and running so we can launch the entry site. We appreciate your patience.

cheers

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
clashes with other events

I've been holding back posting in this thread, but really this makes me sad !

I grew up in Ballarat, and still often ride the trails between Ballarat to Crewswick and beyond when visiting my folks out that way. It's fantastic to see more interest and more events etc... but being the same weekend as the surf coast (which I committed to ages ago) will hurt numbers, and so will stuffing around with the details until the last min... I just worry that organisers and more importantly parks, and other community groups will take a poor turnout to be a negative sign about the value of supporting MTB in their area.
absolutely agree regarding clashes but we are talikjing Spring in Victoria: after the footy, before the horses, avoid the weddings and marathons, remember the melbourne warrnambool race for the roadies. Consider fire danger in the bush, make sure the tracks have dried out post winter..........

Not easy is it

The Brackenbury has been designed to be a whole community weekend for families and couples. How many bike races start in the centre of town? Have a four star hotel 1500m away and a caravan park 300m away?
Love to see you along.

MrsH

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that info drfuentes. I appreciate it! I hope I didn't drag the vibe down, that was not my intention.

Sounds like a great weekend is planned, great work by the Creswick community for putting it together.

We have booked a cabin for two nights and are very much looking forward to it. :D

Cheers,
Meagan

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
Don't get me wrong I love what your'e trying to do, and as an active racer I know how busy the calendar is. I also understand how difficult land access and dealing with government bodies is. My lament was that without clear details and a confirmed event so close to the date you will get many fewer people than you might have otherwise. I'm not going to be drawn into your comments about not being a member of any Ballarat clubs, of course I'm not, I don't live there.

BUT, I am your target audience, I train and race with a team of 15 guys and girls and we spend a small fortune each year in all the country towns around victoria we travel to when we race. We love weekends away in beautiful places racing, eating, drinking and supporting the places we go. Being a Ballarat local I have a soft spot for any events around my home town and try to come and support as many as I can, it's closer to Melbourne than most places we travel too (Mansfield, Beechworth, Forrest, Albury, Mt Buller etc).

I want so much for this event, and many more like it to succeed.

MBPL

Banned
You will be there!

Fantastic James, the obvious next step is for you to attend this weekend of events.

Last edited:

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
Ah the internet, I should know better than to even check back to a thread like this ! I have a great email from Mick who's organising the event - he understands what I was getting at I think... Next year I'd say we will be there with bells on. For this year, we are committed to 3 teams of 3 at the Surf Coast 12HR.

Perhaps what I never got across in my first post was this. I've been watching this event slowly getting organised for months now and was keen to support it... But, nobody want so to commit to a maybe, when there is another certain event the same weekend - so it doesn't matter how great I say the trails are etc, is there isn't a clear event, time, date and stuff ! That's all... my racing buddies are going to go with the known quanitity.

It's no slight towards the organisers... My disappointment was that the event WILL go ahead, but that with the details unconfirmed until late that the turn out will be less than it should be for a great little part of the world that I love dearly... End.

AndrewY

Squid
Time for GO!!

Ok we are all systems go

Our apologies for the time delays but bureaucrats in government and big banks have been a major issue behind this.

We didn't wish to launch the web site or enable registrations until these issues had been resolved.
Sadly the bank has not stepped up to the mark so for now payment is by Direct Debit only.

So from those of us non riders/runners who are putting on this event all we ask is to support us.
For those who are already registered elsewhere for that weekend then best get sorted for 2012, as we have bigger and better things in store. :biggrin:

So you can visit www.thebrackenbury.com.au and register.

Note: yerg when you are given something in confidence keep it that way!

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
It's NOT direct debit: it's direct deposit! The two are very different animals indeed. No sane person would allow a direct debit to be set up against their account.
All sane persons should be happy to pay by direct deposit.

You should amend the website and the above post to reflect this.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
extra bits
Ok we are all systems go

Our apologies for the time delays but bureaucrats in government and big banks have been a major issue behind this.

We didn't wish to launch the web site or enable registrations until these issues had been resolved.
Sadly the bank has not stepped up to the mark so for now payment is by Direct Debit only.

So from those of us non riders/runners who are putting on this event all we ask is to support us.
For those who are already registered elsewhere for that weekend then best get sorted for 2012, as we have bigger and better things in store. :biggrin:

So you can visit www.thebrackenbury.com.au and register.

Note: yerg when you are given something in confidence keep it that way!

Please take these comments as observations to assist - not as complaints

If you have an E-Mail address and a bank account, it is then only a short leap to set-up a PAYPAL account and let those entering decide method of payment.

The Saturday cyclocross race requires a MTB epic entry. SWMBO would be interested in the 'cross race but wouldn't be interested in paying $55 to enter. There is another 'cross race in Melbourne on the Sunday so you are limiting who would be willing to enter. With all the roadies showing up why can't it be sanctioned with both MTBA and CA licences as a separate event? If you charge $10, the same as for the run, it would be win-win. (Dirty Deeds had a good mix of track/roadies/MTB'ers with around 60 cross bikes entering)

MTBA day licences are $20, but listed as $15 extra on the website - you'll be making a loss on this when forwarding funds to MTBA

"So from those of us non riders/runners who are putting on this event all we ask is to support us.
For those who are already registered elsewhere for that weekend then best get sorted for 2012, as we have bigger and better things in store. :biggrin:"

Are you asking MTB'ers to not enter the Surfcoast event in favour of the Brackenbury in 2012?

Roland

Last edited:

redspecialized

Likes Bikes
Ballarat-Sebastopol MTB Club will be co-ordinating the Mountain Bike Epic race and we're delighted that such a big sporting event is happening in Creswick. Our members have spend many hours out this way training as the trails and forest are spectacular. Our MTB committee is excited too because the Creswick community will be helping out on the day so we get to race too (There's nothing worse than doing all the organising for a race and then watch everyone have fun).

On Saturdeay our members will be taking groups on social rides and providing coaching for senior and junior newbies too.

We look forward to seeing you in Creswick.

Dale Boucher
Ballarat-Sebastopol MTB Club

AndrewY

Squid
The Brackenbury Update for cyclocross Saga

Cyclocross Saga Registration is included in the Mountain Bike Epic - So 2 for one
If you choose to ride just the Cyclocross Saga then you register for that and pay the $10 then you are in.
If you aren't an MBTA member then you register using The Brackenbury Mountain Bike Epic - Non Club Members

The Road Race is an Invitation Race but exemptions are available if supplied

At present all payment will be via Direct Deposit - we are aware of alternatives

The Brackenbury is more than a sporting event for runners and cyclists.
Our town was flooded 3 times in the last 12 months, and is struggling with the business and community rebuilding process.
This event forms part of a strategy that the Committee for Creswick is implementing in getting groups together working to achieve a common goal for the town .. and oh incidentally we hope to provide a great weekend of running, riding and frisbee throwing for all. See you there and if not ... that's ok!

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
Free Camping or 5 star

Some of you may be interested to know that the Creswick regional park has a free camping area along the Great Dividing trail only 3km out of town.

Slat(e)y creek picnic ground is popular on most weekends so it is first in best dressed. The area is surrounded with great trails. Many of which will be used by the brackenbury run and social rides on the saturday.

The creek is flowing crystal clear at the moment and is full of frogs. Toilets on site and the water is drinkable. Fireplaces available but pick up some wood on the way in.

http://www.creswick.net/things_to_see_and_do/creswick_regional_park

check out the above link to get a map.

also the Magic pudding playground in town should be finished for all the kiddies

check it out

http://www.creswick.net/magic_pudding_playground

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Cyclocross Saga Registration is included in the Mountain Bike Epic - So 2 for one
If you choose to ride just the Cyclocross Saga then you register for that and pay the $10 then you are in.
If you aren't an MBTA member then you register using The Brackenbury Mountain Bike Epic - Non Club Members

The Road Race is an Invitation Race but exemptions are available if supplied

At present all payment will be via Direct Deposit - we are aware of alternatives

The Brackenbury is more than a sporting event for runners and cyclists.
Our town was flooded 3 times in the last 12 months, and is struggling with the business and community rebuilding process.
This event forms part of a strategy that the Committee for Creswick is implementing in getting groups together working to achieve a common goal for the town .. and oh incidentally we hope to provide a great weekend of running, riding and frisbee throwing for all. See you there and if not ... that's ok!

Thanks for the update, will pass on to SWMBO

Roland