VIC The Brackenbury MTB Challenge 2015 November 22nd, Creswick Victoria

Russity

Likes Bikes
Indeed Dom...I remember standing on the FCG, just after Damien Keirl totalled, listening to your CX bike dinging it's way down the hillside.

I think the Epic might be a wiser choice for this year.... you coming??

Russity

Likes Bikes
Apart from the most awesome trophy EVER...(and possibly the deadliest as previously pointed out)...the top three place getters in each category for mens and womens 25 and 50km races, get one of these...without the watermark of course...that's just there to stop people like me running it out and pinning it on my wall to look cool.

Attachments

Last edited:

dg25

Likes Bikes
Indeed Dom...I remember standing on the FCG, just after Damien Keirl totalled, listening to your CX bike dinging it's way down the hillside.

I think the Epic might be a wiser choice for this year.... you coming??
Yep I'll be there on the epic, only doing the 25km though

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sounds like a great community event, just a question, does the start of event have something to self seed riders typical long road climb or the like, as it sounds like passing won't be easy once out on course.

do you know if there will be any demo bikes there?

Last edited:

Russity

Likes Bikes
sounds like a great community event, just a question, does the start of event have something to self seed riders typical long road climb or the like, as it sounds like passing won't be easy once out on course.

do you know if there will be any demo bikes there?
There will be a short 'prologue' from the start at Hammon Park, of about 1.5km, up and over a climb, that will bring the riders back to the start area to then head straight out onto the first lap. There will be no stopping after the prologue. This is there to specifically self seed the riders as it's a a bit of a pinch! There is plenty of opprotunity to pass on this prologue and then once out on the course, there are several spots that you can get by....a little bit of trail ettiqute will always help if you really are stuck, but I dont think there will be too many hold ups?

No demo bikes this year as Scott bikes, which are sold by our shop sponsor 'Navajo Avanti Plus', have decided to pull their demo fleet from the road and make all the demos 'in house'.

Virage Vitesse

Likes Bikes
Kids race

Anyone wanting to bring their kids a long for a bit of a ride around a simple 2km loop there will be a separate children's event (5yrs-13yrs) - $5 register on the day (this covers insurance costs). Starts approx. 10.30am and will be finished before the start of the main race. Bikes of all types welcome (no training wheels!). Parents of younger children may wish to accompany their child.

Last edited:

Virage Vitesse

Likes Bikes
Entries close Wednesday

Don't forget to sign up!!! Online rego closes at midday Wednesday (tomorrow) if you want to get your own personalised race plate and to help us plan for numbers.
Entry through Entry Zone.

Weather is looking like a very pleasant 22deg and sunny. See you all there.

Virage Vitesse

Likes Bikes
Hi Mark, sorry I didn't see your previous post. But I take it you found the venue.

Results will be posted up shortly, I'll send a link when they are ready.

In the meantime there are a few pics up on our Facebook page.

Russity

Likes Bikes
Nitpicking, but Felix rode with Campbell and Grant Palmer in the 25, and all crossed together. It says he came in a few minutes later, and 4 places lower....
Agreed. Don't know what went on there, but I can verify that Grant, Campbell, Craig and Felix all came aross the line together...then Moorey went out and did another lap.

Virage Vitesse

Likes Bikes
Hey Moorey, I've passed this on to the timing team. They had a very hectic day with more riders than what we anticipated, and manual timing can be a very complicated job, so my apologies for any inaccuracies.
Was that your boy that I gave the prize to for his wheel coming off? I think Felix and Campbell deserve a mention for probably being the youngest riders to do a lap, on what was a very challenging course even for a lot of the adults.

Just wanted to add what a great course this was. I came up from Melbourne with a friend and we both did the 50km. I was apprehensive about the two loops but actually enjoyed the second lap more than the first. The course was on the tougher side but certainly not ridiculous, and had a little bit of everything. We will be back.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
was up at The Brackenbury event on weekend.

what a farkin ripper course and event with a brilliantly dedicated club behind it.

loop has fantastic elevation gain, lake views through the forest, beautiful sweeping corners with some nice challenging rocky stuff to slow down the roadies. just shows how good a course can be when guys that ride, design and maintain it.

great to ride trails that haven't been hammered by wear and tear from overuse.

they marshaled it perfectly - surprised there weren't more entered, maybe the clash with the ves event.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
+1 that was indeed a good course to ride, the single track was excellent. I don't think there was an unpleasant bit in it. Perhaps some of the uphill grind might have been nicer as single track but I don't mind a gently climbing road section, you can just put your head down and take your time. The single track on the north side of the lake was wild, really good.

Virage Vitesse

Likes Bikes
Thanks for that recent feedback. Sorry I don't check Rotorburn that often these days. Unfortunately the clash with the rescheduled Bendigo VES may have taken away a few more of the competitive riders to our event, but our focus has always been more on riders who want to give themselves a bit of a challenge rather than the pure racer types and we've been getting consistently good numbers of that type over the last few years. We want to attract more beginners to the sport in a non-threatening environment and encourage people just to have a go. Very impressed with the turnout for our new junior loop category with the youngest rider to do the 10km loop with some technical singletrack just 6 years old! Also had a few young teenagers tackle the full 25km loop and do very well.
Here in Creswick we are on the cusp of having a professionally built formal trail network, but in the meantime we still enjoy riding the ungroomed natural trails and fireroads that we have in abundance between here and Ballarat. Definitely good for the skills and fitness!
Looking forward to putting on another great event next year with some improvements based on your feedback to our survey.
Matt - VOGA CC (Villages of the Old Goldfields Association)