The cheat register

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Made the fatal error of walking down the freezer Isle of the super market today. Result, I now have a sticky date.....

akashra

Eats Squid
I'd just like to say I'm 4kg heavier than 9 months ago, and no slower no faster.

I'd rather be dead than give up beer or junk food - I ride for excuses
Weight isn't a great indicator of... well, anything really :/

I'm slowly getting some semblance of fitness back - but my weight (and belt size) is all over the shop. For the first time since moving home I'm back under 70kg, most of which I would attribute to simply cutting regular coke mostly out of my diet. However I discovered something really nasty when I moved house: There are at least two stores that sell boxes of Pop Tarts for $5/box - ugh. They're basically my Achilles heel :( If it weren't for them I'd likely be closer to 67kg by now.

The aim is to get back down to closer to 67kg by Forrest (1st December), and 64kg by XCO Nats (March 2014). But even then I expect I'll still be up around 15% body fat, which I don't think I was much below even when I was 63kg in 2008.

On that topic, does anyone have any comments or experience with Matt Firzgeralds book? http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Weight-Lean-Performance-Series/dp/1934030996

0psi

Eats Squid
On that topic, does anyone have any comments or experience with Matt Firzgeralds book? http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Weight-Lean-Performance-Series/dp/1934030996
I've had friends who've read it/used it and said it was good. Didn't really go into details but I can ask around if you like. I think for most people a decent diet and exercise does the trick. It's a simple case of burning more than you put in, if you are putting in the hours on the bike then the weight will come off. I know a few Triathletes that can't eat enough, they stuff their faces all day long and still stay at 8-10% body fat, it just comes from burning more than they put in.

Having said that, race weight and healthy weight are often two very different things. Back in my elite days I was fastest at about 52kg (I'm 176cm) but it wasn't exactly healthy. These days I race for fun and have decided that I won't let myself get below 60kg.

Oh, and my failings for the week, had pizza for lunch once and Ben and Jerry ice cream for desert once. Had a Weis bar on the weekend but I'm allowed desert on the weekends so I think I've done okay this week.

I've had friends who've read it/used it and said it was good. Didn't really go into details but I can ask around if you like. I think for most people a decent diet and exercise does the trick. It's a simple case of burning more than you put in, if you are putting in the hours on the bike then the weight will come off. I know a few Triathletes that can't eat enough, they stuff their faces all day long and still stay at 8-10% body fat, it just comes from burning more than they put in.

Having said that, race weight and healthy weight are often two very different things. Back in my elite days I was fastest at about 52kg (I'm 176cm) but it wasn't exactly healthy. These days I race for fun and have decided that I won't let myself get below 60kg.

Oh, and my failings for the week, had pizza for lunch once and Ben and Jerry ice cream for desert once. Had a Weis bar on the weekend but I'm allowed desert on the weekends so I think I've done okay this week.
when you jump on the scales and have blown out to 61kg you won't feel so good bout yourself you fat bastard !!!!

0psi

Eats Squid
when you jump on the scales and have blown out to 61kg you won't feel so good bout yourself you fat bastard !!!!
Haha. I'm actually 68kg at the moment but I'm also about 15% body fat. I'd like to get to about 10% bodyfat so there's a few kg there without going too crazy.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
The other day at work I was given a packet of Tim Tams as a thank you. So I ate them. All of them. In about 10 minutes. I felt a little off after that. I got home and then went out for Thai food. Yum.

0psi

Eats Squid
Thats what i was thinking...

I am 188cm, so I must be carrying an extra 40 kg in the top 10 cm's. :whistle:
12cm between us mate. . . . I'm just ripped! :preggers:

Actually it comes from a lot of running. When I was running competitively I would often dip under 50kg.

Edit: I was talking to an elite Triathlete the other day about how I'd like to get my pro license again and the following words came out of his mouth, "You'll be right once you lose a bit of weight." I don't look tiny but somehow manage to not weigh much.

533923_10200987037550641_1948625015_n.jpg

Last edited:

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The food at work has been soooo good in the past 8 months that my weight has gone from 82kg to 94kg. I really, really , really need to start cutting back on the size of my meals.

0psi

Eats Squid
The food at work has been soooo good in the past 8 months that my weight has gone from 82kg to 94kg. I really, really , really need to start cutting back on the size of my meals.
Funnily enough I've found eating more leads to eating less.

So I used to eat 2-3 meals a day, lunch, dinner and sometimes breakfast. That was kind of all I ate, I didn't really snack. The last few weeks I've started snacking a lot (all good stuff though, fruit, yoghurt, museli bars, nuts) and I've noticed the portion size of my main meals has decreased significantly. I'm not starving when I eat so I'm not gorging myself.

I'm probably eating more during the course of the day but I am finally getting rid of that last bit of stubborn fat. Here's my theory. I don't entirely buy the whole 'lots of little meals to stoke the metabolic fire' idea but I think if you eat really big meals your body can't process all of that at once so some of it just gets stored away. Think of it as an engine running really rich, you can only put X amount of fuel into the engine at once.

I have nothing to back this up, just a theory and my observations on what seems to be working for me.