The Chilli Thread!

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Yes - used to all the time when we lived a bit more 'cityish' and had to set up lattice/mesh cages around our chillies/tomatoes/herbs to stop them eating the lot. They don't like basil at all so try planting some of that around them perhaps? and a few gardens stakes with bird netting draped over keeps them out.
I'll keep that in mind considering I live at ground zero for the possum population.

JESSKA

Likes Bikes
Naga Seedlings

Can anyone please tell me what Naga seedlings are supposed to look like or have a photo handy?
Are the leaves round or pointy?

I planted some Naga seeds in a seedling tray about 2 months ago and I'm unsure whether what's sprouted is infact a Chilli plant or just a weed/clover. The plants are in the garage to keep them warm & receive enough sunlight.

The strange thing is, I planted about 10 seeds and I have 10 shoots that have come up but they all look slightly different to one & other (some have jaggered leaves, some have round and some have oval) they are all different sizes too which is a little worrying. They are also very small considering they have been in there for 2 months, the largest is aprox 1.5inches and the smallest has just broken through the surface.

I have a feeling that none of these are Chilli plants but it's just weird that I have a weed for every seed I planted.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jessica

Can anyone please tell me what Naga seedlings are supposed to look like or have a photo handy?
Are the leaves round or pointy?

I planted some Naga seeds in a seedling tray about 2 months ago and I'm unsure whether what's sprouted is infact a Chilli plant or just a weed/clover. The plants are in the garage to keep them warm & receive enough sunlight.

The strange thing is, I planted about 10 seeds and I have 10 shoots that have come up but they all look slightly different to one & other (some have jaggered leaves, some have round and some have oval) they are all different sizes too which is a little worrying. They are also very small considering they have been in there for 2 months, the largest is aprox 1.5inches and the smallest has just broken through the surface.

I have a feeling that none of these are Chilli plants but it's just weird that I have a weed for every seed I planted.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jessica
Is this post meant to be "Exhibit A" ?

driftking

Wheel size expert
Fellow chili lovers, I am such a rookie compared to you all.
Anyone got some killer recipes for chilli?

My go to these days is a pretty mild chilli with beans and mince as the main component with chili tomato sauce. Anyone got some recipes that have flavor and heat? I find too many people make hot food and it has no taste. or has taste and no heat.

Expand my culinary horizons burners.

al_

Likes Dirt
Tbl sp Cumin and coriander seed fried in olive oil
then add onion, chilli, garlic, capsicum, meat, tomato, cinnamon, chocolate, oregano, fresh coriander, beans, salt
Plenty of cumin and smoked paprika are the key to good chilli. Other thing is to use cheap cuts of meat instead of mystery mince. Get a decent hunk of brisket, chuck steak or gravy beef and slow cook it until it is falling apart. Then liven it up at the end with some fresh coriander and a bit of lemon zest.

This thread is awesome anyway! Haven't seen this thread before, but I'm a chilli nut and have 15+ plants in and a lot more coming up in seed trays... plus that many capsicums. Like to stock the freezer with enough chillis to get me through the cold months when the plants take a beating with the frosts. Jealous of you guys harvesting now though. My new plants are tiny and the established ones are recovering from winter still.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Plenty of cumin and smoked paprika are the key to good chilli. Other thing is to use cheap cuts of meat instead of mystery mince. Get a decent hunk of brisket, chuck steak or gravy beef and slow cook it until it is falling apart. Then liven it up at the end with some fresh coriander and a bit of lemon zest.

This thread is awesome anyway! Haven't seen this thread before, but I'm a chilli nut and have 15+ plants in and a lot more coming up in seed trays... plus that many capsicums. Like to stock the freezer with enough chillis to get me through the cold months when the plants take a beating with the frosts. Jealous of you guys harvesting now though. My new plants are tiny and the established ones are recovering from winter still.
I use plenty of paprika I haven't used cumin yet. I have it and use it for chicken but haven't added it to my chilli yet. Ill give it a try next time.

al_

Likes Dirt
Smoked paprika is not authentic Mexican.

Some Habanero salsa to serve gives a wicked fruity burn.
It is tasty though... I'm not too worried by authenticity.

How far north are you? My plants really take a beating through the winter months and don't start recovering until around now. Having to effectively start from scratch every spring is annoying, but I just don't have anywhere better to keep them through winter. Pretty sure the frosts gets them as the plants sheltered by trees are in much better shape this year.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anybody tried the Disaster Bay Hot Chilli Wine? It's delicious. $20 a bottle I now have a new favourite dessert wine. Chateau Y'quem......p'shaw.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
frost protection

Dear Al,

While i have never lived south of Sydney, i have lived in some parts of the Hunter Valley that love a good frost. When i had a large bonsai collection i would cover the sensative trees with a shopping bag or garbage (depending on size) for the worst parts of winter. Dont use the heavy duty garbage bags either! Just those light weight ones that are useless as a garbage bag. Put a few stakes around your bushes and bag over the top. I would seal it up aswell. It acts like a disposable green house. Keeps things nice and moist. Also works ok in warm months of you are going away for a night or two and dont have a reliable garden substitue. In theory come spring your plants are still good and your friends who laughed at you during winter can eat a dick (hopefully not infringing on any copy right there?).

If te bushes are actually trees i have seen lots of guys in Japan (a place well known for obsessive behaviour) build temporary shelfters around their fragile plants from timber (incl bamboo). This keeps the snow and frost off the plants and stops them from beibg crushed under many meters of powder.