The cooking thread

Freediver

I can go full Karen
My late partner was the omelette queen. I made omelettes that looked like @pink poodle 's until I was given the news about how crap they were.
You need to separate those eggs before beating the salt and pepper into the yolks and beating the whites to a soft peak. Fold the white and yolks together gently and pour them into a hot pan with browned butter. Just as the top is setting get it under the grill to just brown a little then add your toppings to one side and keep it under the grill until they are heated/melted.
Fold in half over the toppings to serve.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My late partner was the omelette queen. I made omelettes that looked like @pink poodle 's until I was given the news about how crap they were.
You need to separate those eggs before beating the salt and pepper into the yolks and beating the whites to a soft peak. Fold the white and yolks together gently and pour them into a hot pan with browned butter. Just as the top is setting get it under the grill to just brown a little then add your toppings to one side and keep it under the grill until they are heated/melted.
Fold in half over the toppings to serve.

...and that's where I transition to the @wesdadude position of too much effort for the "I just need some protein before work" lunch option. I do love a good souffle, but rarely find enough effort in my pantry.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Create an egg white omelette with pepper and a touch of cheese and herbs then poach the left over yolk and add that on top of the omelette. This is superb.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I found myself with a slightly later than usual start time yesterday so filled in the extra 2 hours by cooking a meal for myself...roast pork loin, baked potatoes, and mushrooms (yep! These ones are from a tin, I was curious...they weren't bad but they weren't great) in a creamy mustard thyme sauce.

Get your pork crackle game dialled for Christmas folks! This was 1lg of pork loin. Oil and salt rub on the skin. 180 degrees until it was rock. Inside is juicy and pull apart tender. It would have cooked a touch quicker if I hadn't filled the oven with potatoes, the moisture was fucking with the crackling.

IMG20231213155123~2.jpg

Quick assemblage on small plate before jamming it in take away containers for work.

IMG20231213155442~2.jpg

And now I know that I don't need to buy tinned mushrooms again unless I am preparing for an apocalypse.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
If you turn that upside down you can have some pork on your salt roast. :p

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you turn that upside down you can have some pork on your salt roast. :p

You gotta get that salt layer on the skin or it isn't going to crack. Scrape the salt off, flip it to carve, and it's like it was never there.

Currently the popular method at work (which I deem to much fucking around) is a vinegar wash over the rind, then salt, then a layer stiff beaten egg whites with a bit of salt in it. Scrape after cooking.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
It's certainly no Poodle Masterchef effort, but I haven't made a proper baked dinner in ages...

Slow cooked pork belly, microwave-cheat veges before baking, and Shiitake mushrooms, with lots of butter everywhere :)
it aint pretty, but tastes orright
1704014406227.png

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Pork looks the goods! Got some crunch factor?

I had a strange curse this Christmas. I cooked up a storm! Caramelized leek and aged cheddar tarts, honey chilli bbq wings, turkey burgers with big max sauce, roasted chicken Maryland with mustard tarragon sauce, slow cooked silverside pan fried in slabs for service with a white sauce, baileys fudge, rum raisin ice cream, salt caramel ice cream, home made baileys, home made "fireball", home made Christmas cake brandy, and fuck me if not one single item was photogenic! Every photo I took looked like shit. The food was awesome, I blew my own mind with it not to mention super gran or mum. Super gran was eating the big max sauce by the spoonful! But the photos...just shit.

Nobody other than me wanted to eat ham this year so I purchased a 2kg piece of double smoked goodness just for me. I ripped that fucker open today and got my glaze on...honey + soy reduction (this stuff was like that) using ginger infused honey, toasted fennel and sesame seeds, oregano, and dry chilli. This glaze was freaking delicious! I'm thinking I'll throw some on some wings or ribs next time. Anyway prepare the ham and steam bake it at 150⁰c for 40 minutes, then it's on...glaze bake glaze bake glaze bake glaze bake on 10 minute cycles for 4 laps at 180⁰c. It is going very well! Beautiful dark golden colour forming up and...well that last 5 minutes pretty much fucked me in the dick. I didn't ruin the ham, but a real dark almost burnt look fell upon the ridge line of the ham and once again it's not very photogenic. I threw a dusting of toasted seed/spice mix over it and fuck it tasted good for lunch!

IMG20231231121131~2.jpg
20231231_122133~2.jpg

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
i know i know... but I have my reasons :oops: (and it wasn't actually that hard.. just poor quality pork to start with)

i do make other semi-crunchy things like ザンギ/唐揚げ (Japanese triple fried chicken), with DIY ground sesame/super hot chilli Kewpie dipping sauce...
1704022814707.png

Impossible custard pie now in oven... should be ready before next year :D

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Time for a grave dig!

Confit duck leg, with a bit of a fart power casserole (lentils, beans, garlic, shallot, mushrooms, tomato, thyme), and some rye sourdough.

20240326_143941~2.jpg

I didn't cook the bread myself. I don't often eat bread, but when I do it is almost exclusively for the purpose of tranfering butter into my life.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I'm about to make a carbonara with German Speck.

No chance of procuring guanciale in Cairns :(